• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino April/May 2014 - where to be for Easter?

Marina82

Time of past OR future Camino
Yes, yes, it's a while out before I can begin my physical journey, but researching the camino and reading the forums here, along with many books and blogs, feels like the beginning of my spiritual journey. That said, I have two months blocked out for my trip - April and May - and since I won't be able to complete my camino by April 20th (Easter), I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on where I should try to spend it. Is there a particular town, city, or church I might especially want to have reached by then, so as to experience an especially historical or meaningful service?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Marina82 said:
I won't be able to complete my camino by April 20th (Easter), I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on where I should try to spend it.
Marina, Easter on our calendar is on 31st of March. Holy Week is the time to experience processions and folclore, depending upon where you plan to be. April and May are already after Easter time.

fraluchi said:
Marina82 said:
I won't be able to complete my camino by April 20th (Easter), I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on where I should try to spend it.
Marina, Easter on our calendar is on 31st of March. Holy Week is the time to experience processions and folclore, depending upon where you plan to be. April and May are already after Easter time.

Hmmm, in 2014? I googled it again to be sure and the internet insists it is April 20th...is there a different calendar I should be using?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Marina! Yes April 20th in 2014. I have a special affection for Los Arcos, just because it was such a pilgrim-friendly service in the evening and the church is beautiful. I've no idea if anything special happens at Easter, but Spain being Spain something will be going on. Buen Camino!

p.s. You'd probably be walking there from Estella, so it could be worth finding out if there is a traditional parade there in the morning before you start walking. I love that stage between Estella and Los Arcos and it would be a beautiful Easter for you (weather permitting!)

Hello Marina,
I have been lucky enough to spend three Easters in Spain. You should know that Holy Week is very special and very busy in Spain. The Spanish emphasize the agony of the crucifiction much more than the resurrection.They also emphasize their guilt and shame in Jesus' death so the processions are very elaborate and can take place throught the night or day. They cover their faces and carry effigies of the life and death of Jesus on their shoulders. There are other events in the churches and community centres as well.

It is also signals the start of the "Camino season" when groups of Spanish pilgrims walk for the week and more albergues open up. Accordingly It a much busier time than previous. Look out for events before the Semana Santa starts.

In Villalcazar de Sirga while I was the hospitalero there, I attended a mass in Santa Maria de Blanca and walked in the mini procession for Palm Sunday, I was given a sprig of rosemary which they substitute for Palm fronds.

Ponferrada has some wonderful events and extensive processions. If you are in Galicia, you may witness bands using celtic bag pipes. I saw three churches come together in Finisterre to put on a Semana Santa procession. Zamora (on the Via de la Plata just 130 kms south of Astorga) has an extensive museum of Holy Week and they are very proud of their processions with many confraternities which each organizes events. You have a week to experience this. I would try for a large city experience but also ask at tourist office to see when the small towns celebrate too.

I wish you good luck and interesting experiences.

Marina82 said:
Hmmm, in 2014? I googled it again to be sure and the internet insists it is April 20th...is there a different calendar I should be using?
No, sorry I goofed! :roll:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear Marina
Others before me have said it but let me underline it- Easter is not a day in Spain its an entire week even more if you count the preparations before and the attempt to recover after. A week of processions, of special masses, of celebrations, of all night parties, much food and more drink. Good Friday starts about 1630 on Thursday when entire provinces shut down no bus no train few shops and stores but plenty of bars and restaurants busy busy. Pamplona has a wonderful mass with their own choir with beautiful music, Chirauqui has a moving, village evening procession, Leon has a week of almost daily processions, the choice is up to you. Do ask at the albergue where you stay what will be happening they know and will often allow a later return due too the festivities. The week after Easter? The price of lamb plummets and good Spanish lamb is served even on pilgrims menus!
S

Hello I am new to the forum and i wish to say Hello to all and Thank You so much for the great Help. To answer your question, I was thinking of starting the Camino Frances around the 22 of April 2014 .And i was thinking about arriving in Lourdes France on Wednesday of Holy Week April 16. and going to services Wed.Thurs.Fri.Sat. and Holy Sunday.Staying the night and travel by bus or train to St. Jean on Monday and Start out on the Camino on Tuesday. Just my thoughts for now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My family and I will be beginning our Camino on Easter Sunday. We'll probably be quite a ways behind you. I'm just hoping we have no trouble getting from Paris to Bayonne on Good Friday.

Thank you for opening this topic Marina82. I've been so busy preparing for the 1st part of my Camino (28th Sept to 13th October SJPdP to Burgos) that I completely forget about my 2nd stage! Burgos to SDC I realise I will be approaching Santiago around the 20th April. I'm sure Easter in Santiago will be wonderful but I guess there will be many pilgrims on the path from Sarria? Any suggestions anyone? I'm basically a go with the flow person anyway but sometimes a little active planning can't hurt?
Thanks Sarah

Ah, and now I've just realized that we'll be on the Camino at Easter as well! I'm so excited now! We're leaving SJPP in March, so I'll have to figure out where we'll be by Easter. We'll probably be about a week away from Santiago at that point.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi I am from England and will be embarking on my first Camino In April..Getting to st leon for around the 20th..Is their any tips for me?

Thanks!!

ps..Great forum!!

Big days in Easter, for processions, are Good Thursday and Good Friday, and to a lesser extend Palm Sunday to Wednesday. The larger the town, the more chances you will have to witness some processions. Zamora is well known for its particularly impressive, solemn procesions, whereas in Bercianos de Aliste (province of Zamora), men parade wearing their shrouds (that is, the cloth they will be wearing when they are buried). I would say a good combination would probably be León-Astorga, Easter celebrations there must be quite spectacular.

We'll start the camino on Monday the 14th April from SJPdP so will most probably be in Pamplona on Thursday. Do you suggest we sleep in Pamplona or in Huerte? If in Pamplona would it be a good idea to book a place for the night or are there lots available? We lived in a smallish town in Spain before so Passover celebrations are not foreign to us but my sister in law whom I'm walking with has never experienced it.
ps. I am daily on the forum and cant say thanks enough for all the valuable info :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Marina, i'm also spending holy week on my camino! From what i've read, Leon is supposed to be very special, and the "procesion de los pasos" is Holy friday! I'm planning on arriving in Leon on hily thursday, april 17! But mot people say that no matter where you are, Spain is a special place to be during Holy week!
On the down side, Leon is full, and hotel prices are at a premium!
Buen Camino!

For what it's worth, I loved "Hostal San Martin" in Leon, and highly recommend it. Maybe they have a room for this time?

We'll start the camino on Monday the 14th April from SJPdP so will most probably be in Pamplona on Thursday. Do you suggest we sleep in Pamplona or in Huerte? If in Pamplona would it be a good idea to book a place for the night or are there lots available? We lived in a smallish town in Spain before so Passover celebrations are not foreign to us but my sister in law whom I'm walking with has never experienced it.
ps. I am daily on the forum and cant say thanks enough for all the valuable info :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My son and I will be starting in Pamplona on Good Friday, trying to get reservation at Jesus Y Maria alb urge, no reply to my e-mail that I sent. Any other way to reserve?

Easter in Spain is wonderful. This will be the sixth time we're walking in Semana Santa and I'm really looking forward to starting.

From the tiny village we walked into where the old lady heading for the church grabbed us and pushed us to the front row of the congregation (all of 40 people) outside the church to watch the figure of Mary being carried around the church to bless the village to the huge musical procession in Burgos, with Nazarenos (looking like Ku Klux Klan members, but in bright colours) in all sizes coming together in front of the cathedral before hundreds of doves were released on Easter Morning - it's all been good.

Check with the tourist offices or ask the hospitaleros wherever you are about what kind of things will be happening in the next few days, and you will be able to time your days so you'll see whatever is going on.

I still remember the village where most of the ladies in town carried a statue of Mary, and the strapping young men carried a statue of Jesus, and the figures "just happened to meet" in front of the church, and the statues, carried by smiling people, DANCED with each other to celebrate the Resurrection. Or the morning disco in another small town, where the old people retired to church, and as soon as the doors were closed, the youngsters rigged up a mobile disco and had a dance in the village square. Or the lifelike statue of the sorrowful Roman soldier. Or the horrible screech of the untuned trumpet that the young girl was trying to play throught he hole in her mask before she gave up and put her hood back. Or...

I think I will be in pamplona/puente la reina for Easter Sunday and am hoping to get Mass there. Good Friday will be interesting as I am starting on Holy Thursday and suspect my penance will be well under way after the trek to Roncesvalles! Although I was originally trying to take advantage of the 3 bank Holidays of Easter (no leave!!) I am delighted that Easter will be part of my Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was in Logrono the day before Palm Sunday, then Navarette for Palm Sunday. Good Friday I was on the Meseta but the weather got so bad I turned back and spent Easter Sunday in Burgos before flying home later that day from Madrid. Navarette for Palm Sunday was a beautiful day with celebrations in the square outside the church with all the children dressed in their first communion clothes. You should be there. Easter in Burgos was fantastic with parades and ceremonies outside the cathedral. If I ever go back at Semana Santa those are the two places I would want to be. By the way, although I gave up at Easter, just for the record I went back to Burgos in September and finished my Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back