• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino April/May 2018

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Been wanting to do the French way Camino any advice if I should book it with a tour?
Hi Daniel - Tour/Camino planning companies exist if you need one but the CF is extremely easy to navigate from end to end and LOTS of accommodations available for DIY'ers. Guess in the end it comes down to what kind of experience you're looking for - have you had time to consider that? Once you know what you're wanting the answer will probably be answered :)
Good luck!

Hi Daniel

Welcome to the Forum! I walked my first camino last year after mulling about it for a few years. When I finally decided to walk, I debated whether to use a group too. being female and walking solo and a shy Oriental too (sticks out a mile!!). Am so glad I did not, and I have walked a few since my maiden Camino in August.

The Camino is well signedposted (waymarked) with yellow arrows and if I can follow it, anybody can! My kids think I am the worst navigator ever! I walked solo and I learned so much! I also realise that I love the Camino despite not being a Catholic or a Christian. And you are never lonely - you make a lot of friends and you can walk with them or walk alone, which I usually do and meet up in the albergues in the evening for a social time. And, I did not even open my Brierley book which I brought with me, just in case :)

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No you will find travel to your starting point may be the most time consuming prep. Once you find the yellow arrows follow them. the rest you will figure out quick. The guide books will help you see how easy it is to follow.
I think from my conversation with a group that was touring it was the unknown & physical concern for each person.
No matter what you decide
Buen Camino
Keith

Almost every person I met who was travelling in a tour group, at some stage in our conversation, said they were not “real pilgrims”. Always made me feel a bit sad because IMO being a real pilgrim is a state of mind but hasten to add I do not want to get into any debate about what does or does not make a real pilgrim.
I have no problem with people doing tours because each of them has their own reason for doing so. It might health or time or even being anxious about the unknown. All valid reasons. But if your health is good and you have the time then I would recommend walking the camino independently.
Buen camino peregrino.

I am planning my first Camino (CF) April 23, 2018 as well, maybe we will meet up at some point. Good Luck and Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am planning my first Camino (CF) April 23, 2018 as well, maybe we will meet up at some point. Good Luck and Buen Camino

I'm starting the same day, Bagman, so I'll see you on the road! Buen Camino :)

As for going with a tour, Daniel, I don't think you need one. Between the arrows, your guide book and friendly pilgrims pointing you in the right direction you'll do just fine.

Last edited:
My Camino begins April 25 from Roncesvalles , already starting to organize my pack, spend a lot of time just thinking about equipment, I think April is going to get here very quickly. How many more sleeps? Appears to me that just planning the flights, and getting to the start is most of the work, once I arrive I will let the camino decide the rest. A life time of getting up and going to work each day, of meetings, of schedules, of places I had to be, kids to pick up, drop off, all of it. For the first time in my life I don't have to be anywhere, just get up and start walking, listening, thinking, embracing. Some people get it, some people just look horrified..lol.

My Camino begins April 25 from Roncesvalles , already starting to organize my pack, spend a lot of time just thinking about equipment, I think April is going to get here very quickly. How many more sleeps? Appears to me that just planning the flights, and getting to the start is most of the work, once I arrive I will let the camino decide the rest. A life time of getting up and going to work each day, of meetings, of schedules, of places I had to be, kids to pick up, drop off, all of it. For the first time in my life I don't have to be anywhere, just get up and start walking, listening, thinking, embracing. Some people get it, some people just look horrified..lol.

We'll be a day behind you Diane. We might see you along the way ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Daniel, I start my first Camino from SJPDP on Friday 11 May 18. I initially looked at a tour but after speaking to people who had completed one and watching videos, there are heaps on youtube if you search Camino, I decided to go it alone.

Buen Camino

I'm leaving Estella on the 19th of April and being a slow walker there is a very good chance you'll pass me along the way LOL.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mvanert, I am a slow walker as well, wouldn't be surprised if you passed me at some point. I only have a start date, the finish date is when I get there. I have a one way ticket to Paris, and a connecting flight to Biarritz, will figure out my return details when I have some. Supposed to visit family in the UK after, but now thinking I don't want to give anyone arrival dates or stress out about having to be somewhere at a certain time, decided to opt out and finish when I'm finished, or should I say when the Camino is finished with me.

Last edited:
Hi Mvanert, I am a slow walker as well, wouldn't be surprised if you passed me at some point. I only have a start date, the finish date is when I get there. I have a one way ticket to Paris, and a connecting flight to Biarritz, will figure out my return details when I have some. Supposed to visit family in the UK after, but now thinking I don't want to give anyone arrival dates or stress out about having to be somewhere at a certain time, decided to opt out and finish when I'm finished, or should I say when the Camino is finished with me.

I like your attitude, it mirrors mine :) I will go as far as I go as long as I am there, hopefully to Muxia by May 28th. I'll be looking out for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I fly into biarritz april 1st but cant find a onward connection that day. Is it the same for you or are you getting to SJPP a different way ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
yes they emailed me saying they didn't do transfers in winter when I asked about april1st. Must be a crossed wire so will attempt to contact again. Thanks for your help

@Daniel A Rodriguez

To answer your question, I deliberately took a tour package for the first 100km so I could understand the route. Advantages were that all the accommodation was booked and available, there was a guide available for the Napoleon Route, and the luggage was taken care of. It was expensive at €150/night but it was a personal choice.

I would also add that the group I travelled with, about a dozen Irish, were fantastic fun and a mix of tourists and pilgrims.

Having now experienced part of the route and understand how the signposting, luggage transfer, internal transfers in Spain, language and culture all come together, I'm doing the rest solo and will pick up accomodation / transfers as I go along.

You'll also pick up company as you go along too, if you engage with fellow pilgrims. It depends on whether you need company or not. Suspect with your name, you'll not have a problem in conversing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m starting from Pamplona April 10, not my first Camiño, but my first solo. Planning on reaching Santiago May 12. Trying to get the flights set up now. Can anyone tell me whether collapsible poles are allowed in carry-on luggage? I would much rather not check anything.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Rowena I have found not had any problem with taking onboard my collapsed Black Diamond carbon fibre poles inside my pack. The tips on mine I have covered with thick rubber ferrules. Carbon fibre is not metal and very light. But be warned - it is up to airline security as to what is allowed onboard so have a contingency in place - a friend standing by who can take them home for you (buy cheap replacements in Spain), or a cardboard cylinder to pack them in for transit via the luggage hold.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm leaving Estella on the 19th of April and being a slow walker there is a very good chance you'll pass me along the way LOL.

I really liked Estella. First albergue on the left as you enter town - it was brilliant. Right next to the little square and then the bridge going into town.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back