• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Aragonés -- June 2015 -- Where are the pilgrims?

peregrina2000

Staff member
LTfit and I walked the Aragonés this summer. Our camino catalán merges with the Aragonés at Santa Cilia de Jaca. At that point, we knew we wanted to "backtrack" up to Somport pass, which was a GREAT idea (it was LT's idea, not mine -- so glad we did that).

All along the way, the townspeople and the hospitaleros told us that pilgrim traffic had declined by as much as 25-30%. This is a real head-scratcher for me. The Camino Aragonés is well marked, with great albergues, beautiful scenery, and very little pavement. I'll post some pictures and updates, and maybe it will convince more forum members to try this wonderful alternative! I don't mean to take anything away from the glory of starting in SJPP, but for the many "repeat offenders", the Aragonés is a great idea. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've still a long way to go in France but the choice of the Aragones or del norte is wrecking my head (ok in a nice way) and I'm like Baalam's ass torn between two equally gorgeous routes. Maybe your photographs will help me make that choice!

I'm doing the Aragones at present (having a day off in Jaca). I had a bit of company out of Arles, but have walked alone since Toulouse. Boy, this route is quiet! Yes, beautiful. Yes, good route marking, although I'm not sure I want to know precisely how many kms I have to go to Santiago every couple of kms. Yes, fine paths. But take a buddy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We whole heartily agree with Laurie. We walked from Montpellier to Puente la Reina and the section from Somport was fabulous. Beautiful walk, scenery, people, food....just a nice experience. Don't miss the Albergue at Arres. Dayton and Karen

I think we should whisper very loud! It is a beautiful route and offers you to visit S. Juan de la Peña, which in my opinion, is the number one of all sites I have ever visited on my numerous Caminos. ( second on my list is Las Médulas )!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As a reference, 3 weeks ago we would be 10-14 pilgrims per night in every albergue, and then came to Puente la Reina and was shocked to see the crowds at the end of September. A beautiful day, some hard days, of course, but all in all a unique experience, definitely worth it! Arrés, Ruesta... are unique places

I'm putting my hand up to walk the Aragones next April.

Buen Camino Judy.

I'm doing the Aragones at present (having a day off in Jaca). I had a bit of company out of Arles, but have walked alone since Toulouse. Boy, this route is quiet! Yes, beautiful. Yes, good route marking, although I'm not sure I want to know precisely how many kms I have to go to Santiago every couple of kms. Yes, fine paths. But take a buddy.

Good to hear Bernice sounds like my kind of route…..the needle is swinging towards the Aragones (yet again)!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm on the Frances now after having come off the Aragones a bit over a week ago. The Aragones was wonderful. I walked some parts by myself but there were at 9-10 each night in the albergues.

I walked some parts by myself but there were at 9-10 each night in the albergues.
That is about double the number of fellow pilgrims that I have encountered in June and October. The scenery is great, but it is not the most social of caminos. I will be back!

We whole heartily agree with Laurie. We walked from Montpellier to Puente la Reina and the section from Somport was fabulous. Beautiful walk, scenery, people, food....just a nice experience. Don't miss the Albergue at Arres. Dayton and Karen
Hope to do this route next year. What is the name of the albergue at Arres?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Um, Arres Albergue, I think. If there are no hospitaleros present, you go the the nearby hotel and they give you a key. You can also leave telephone messages for the albergue at the hotel. They seem to work together. It was a lovely experience being there, one of my trip highlights. The chapel is small but beautifully formed, and the rap benediction before the meal exhilarating.
Bernice

Albergue de peregrinos de Arrés

arres-arres-1.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is the ruta Aragones a historic pilgrim route?

Sure! The route from Somport pass started to be important on Xth Century. Before that date, pilgrims used to enter into Aragón using El Palo pass. It's the Spanish side of the first of the four routes quoted on the V book of the Codex Calixtinus (XIIth Century) (if you don't know about the Codex Calixtinus take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus) that you can consult at www.codexcalixtinusfacsimil.com/2012/07/the-english-version-of-book-v-codex.html

Last edited by a moderator:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back