• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Aragonés to Camino Frances?

Aspireworks

Hey folks!

My name is Connor Drake, and I'm in the process of planning my first Camino. After much deliberation, I did finally settle on the Camino Frances over the Camino Norte.
I am now met with another crossroads, however! I want to make this journey last, and experience as much variety in scenery as possible.
So my question is this: Would you recommend starting on the Camino Aragonés and then transferring over to the Camino Frances at the end for a newcomer?
Or will I experience a great variety of scenery and some alone time on the Camino Fraces alone?

Thanks in advance! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Would you recommend starting on the Camino Aragonés and then transferring over to the Camino Frances at the end for a newcomer?
Or will I experience a great variety of scenery and some alone time on the Camino Fraces alone?
Yes. Either or both.

Hi Connor,

It really depends on what you want to get out of it as the Aragones is a little different to the Frances. Scenery wise they're both stunning and i would highly reccomend both for the lovely views over the Pyrenees, lush forests and plenty of other things to look at.

The main difference between the two is the social aspect - the Frances is very popular with many people from all over the world. You come across many pilgrims on the trail and in the evenings at the Refuges. The Aragones however is much quieter and isolated especially during the day, with only a handful of people at night.

On my first Camino I started in Somport and walked the Aragones before joining the Frances and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then walked through St Jean Pied De Port 2 years later (but started from Le Puy) which was great - I can't recommend one over the other it's really about what you want from it :)

Buen Camino!

Kat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Connor,
I did the Aragonese September 2012 and Frances 2010. I enjoyed both. As said by others, the Aragonese is much quieter. The descent from Somport to Canfranc Estacion and on to Jaca was gradual and very beautiful. It was really pleasant. There seemed to be a mini meseta across the river valley that will eventually be filled in by a damming project. It was very walkable but it had its challenges too. The guide book lacked maps etc. We took a few side trips to a monastery outside of Jaca, and into Javier and another monastery near Yesa. After having reached Monreal, we went into Pamplona for old times sake. Pilgrims were everywhere! I was glad to have started that year in Somport. Puente la Reina seemed more busy as well. El Camino has grown more popular! Camino Frances was the original though! LIke a first born... But that being said you can not go wrong starting from Somport. It is a longer road however to Puente la Reina. If time matters? it is a shorter walk to Puente la Reina from St. Jean than from Somport.
Buen Camino,
Grey Shepherd

Hi Connor, last year we decided to make a change, after having started the Camino three times from Roncesvalles and opted for the Aragonés , departing from Jaca. As previously mentioned, the Camino Francés has many more facilities for the Pilgrim, in the way of Albergues, bars, restaurants and shops to buy food, etc. The Aragonés is much quieter. You will need to buy your supplies for your day's walk in the village where you slept the previous night. You will also need to be sure you have enough water as we unfortunately found out!
The highlight of the Camino Aragonés for us was the visit to the beautiful Romanic Monastery of S. Juan de la Peña. You can take the morning bus up to the Monastery, visit this incredible site and then take a very steep long trail down to pick up the Camino again down in the valley. Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I recommend it wholeheartedly. In fact, I met a pilgrim in Puenta la Reina who (dismayed with the clamor of pilgrims on the Camino Frances) borrowed my guidebook and decided to walk it backwards to the Camino Catalan, and from there to Montserrat and Barcelona. It's very quiet, if that's what you're looking for.

I love the Aragones Route... I've walked it 3 times, both Spring and Fall.
I walked it from Lourdes last year in the spring.

If you do take it, in Jaca you can catch a bus (round trip or one way) to San Juan Pena Monastery. It's a great way to see it.. then you either go back to Jaca and start walking next day or you can walk from the Monastery to Sta. Celia.

Thanks a lot for the info, i'll walk the aragones way from 20 to 26 of October, starting from Urdos before the Col du Somport.
I've got a couple of questions and i hope someone could help me:
1) Is the Albergue of Monreal open all year?
2) Is there a way to reach Pamplona from Monreal? I have to take bus/train from Pamplona to Zaragozza quite early on my last day on Camino, on sunday the 27th of october and i was planning to walk my last day from Monreal to Pamplona.
Thanks, any help will be really appreciated.
If you want you can write me also at sebastiano.fabio@gmail.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back