• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Aragonés with dog

robermarbe

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (1993), Camino del Salvador and Camino Primitivo (2012), Camino Aragonés (2014), Camino Frances (2015)
I am back from my Camino Aragonés. I even did a few days along the Francés. I took my dog with me and everything went fine. I met people, mainly foreigners who would had loved bringing their pets with them and didn´t do it because of what is written in the forums.

I live in Netherlands, I took my dog from NL by plane, had to rent a car in Madrid to go to Canfranc, had a few issues with the accommodations, etc, but overall, it was great experience for both.

I would like to leave you a blog of my experience across de Aragonés with my dog. It is a very brief summary, but I have mentioned the places where I slept , I ate, and I have included few comments about the stages and pictures. I hope it can help somebody in the future.

Be aware that the fact I have been allowed to sleep in certain Albergues does´t mean that other pilgrim will be allowed. Be always prepared to have problems on this matter. Doing the Camino with a pet is not easy but I have enjoyed it, and he has enjoyed even more than me.

Before departing prepare the dog for the trip, especially its feet pads.

http://caminoaragonesconperro.blogspot.nl

The blog is in spanish language but you have the possibility to translate it through a gadget placed in the blog.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am back from my Camino Aragonés. I even did a few days along the Francés. I took my dog with me and everything went fine. I met people, mainly foreigners who would had loved bringing their pets with them and didn´t do it because of what is written in the forums.

I live in Netherlands, I took my dog from NL by plane, had to rent a car in Madrid to go to Canfranc, had a few issues with the accommodations, etc, but overall, it was great experience for both.

I would like to leave you a blog of my experience across de Aragonés with my dog. It is a very brief summary, but I have mentioned the places where I slept , I ate, and I have included few comments about the stages and pictures. I hope it can help somebody in the future.

Be aware that the fact I have been allowed to sleep in certain Albergues does´t mean that other pilgrim will be allowed. Be always prepared to have problems on this matter. Doing the Camino with a pet is not easy but I have enjoyed it, and he has enjoyed even more than me.

Before departing prepare the dog for the trip, especially its feet pads.

http://caminoaragonesconperro.blogspot.nl

The blog is in spanish language but you have the possibility to translate it through a gadget placed in the blog.
Hello, I enjoyed your blog. I had to have it translated to English. Please tell me more of how you prepared the dogs foot pads. Did it rain? If so, was Yard protected in some way? Your photos are lovely.

Thanks for posting your blog. I would love to walk with a dog. I would like to camp along the way but often do not feel safe as a single woman. I don't even have a dog friend but did many years ago. He hiked with me when I worked as a field guide for many years. I've just not gotten another. Maybe one will adopt me when I get to Spain. Lord knows there are so many unwanted pets and children who need loving homes. Maybe a small child instead. Ha ha ha... Just kidding.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am happy that you enjoyed the blog. When I have time I will do a version in English language. I guess the translator doesn't always give the proper meaning.

10 days before departing I started putting an special cream in my dog's pads. Once I was doing the Camino I used to put the cream everyday in the evening. He hasn't had any problem in the pads and we walked around 230 km in 8 days (including 2 stages in the Francés). We had rain for 3 days and I didn't put any protection on Yard. In my personal opinion, dogs are already very well protected by their own coat and do not need anything else. I believe that putting them a coat or something similar harms them more than protects them. Coats protect from rain but they also produce heat and that's not good.

For the rest it is really worth it to walk with the dog. There are many issues too, but overall, I would do it again. I can tell you as well that since we finished the Camino, my dog obeys more, listen to me better and he really enjoyed.

Good like finding a dog that adopts you :)

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back