• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Aragones in April

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances but starting iin Somport
I'm restarting the Camino Aragonés from Santa Cilia in early April. I'm 71 and I would prefer not to walk more than 15km in a day to start. Does anyone know if there is anywhere to stay between Arrés and Artieda, and between Sangüesa and Izco?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked this route three times (last time in 2021) and am sad to report that there were no places to stay on either of those segments. Additionally, there was no place to stay in Izco, so you have to walk all the way from Sanguesa to Monreal is you follow the main route! Additionally, we found zero places for food and water over this segment; thankfully we carried our own supply. You may have better luck depending upon the time of year that you walk, but April/May found the water taps non-functional.

One alternative is to take the variant through the Foz de Lumbier and stay at a hotel in the village of Lumbier, but that still entails a lengthy walk from there to Monreal the next day.

The Aragon route is lively, but it definitely has some gaps in services.

Walked this route three times (last time in 2021) and am sad to report that there were no places to stay on either of those segments. Additionally, there was no place to stay in Izco, so you have to walk all the way from Sanguesa to Monreal is you follow the main route! Additionally, we found zero places for food and water over this segment; thankfully we carried our own supply. You may have better luck depending upon the time of year that you walk, but April/May found the water taps non-functional.

One alternative is to take the variant through the Foz de Lumbier and stay at a hotel in the village of Lumbier, but that still entails a lengthy walk from there to Monreal the next day.

The Aragon route is lively, but it definitely has some gaps in services.
Thanks for this, I had better step up my training !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Additionally, we found zero places for food and water over this segment; thankfully we carried our own supply.
There were a few water fountains but agree re: the food. My RX protein bars (brought from the US) saved me on a number of segments on the Aragónés last summer.

There were a few water fountains
That must be the difference between summer when you walked versus Spring and Fall when I’ve walked! We found many water spigots that had no flowing water - maybe they turn them on seasonally?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That must be the difference between summer when you walked versus Spring and Fall when I’ve walked! We found many water spigots that had no flowing water - maybe they turn them on seasonally?
Could be! This one somewhere before Monreal was a godsend.

Attachments

• 3BA5364B-7661-4405-9786-D448D480179E.jpeg
    3BA5364B-7661-4405-9786-D448D480179E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
On the Camino Aragonés now. Today we walked from Lumbier to Monreal. It’s very hot and there is no shade until you get past Salinas de Ibargoiti. The water fountain in Abinzano is working but Izco is shut. The albergue in Monreal is almost full.

On the path when we got to the NA2420 road we couldn’t see any trail markings so we followed the road to the right. That way you pass a memorial to 69 people massacred in 1936.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the Camino Aragonés now. Today we walked from Lumbier to Monreal. It’s very hot and there is no shade until you get past Salinas de Ibargoiti. The water fountain in Abinzano is working but Izco is shut. The albergue in Monreal is almost full.
Please continue to provide updates as there are so few current reports from this path.

@ChrisPB are you back on the Aragones? I thought you had already walked it earlier in April?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@ChrisPB are you back on the Aragones? I thought you had already walked it earlier in April?
I had to stop because my partners feet were in a very bad way. We restarted and will go to Logroño. Unfortunately I have commitments at home so I have to dash back and then come back a few days later to get from Logroño to Burgos.

On the path when we got to the NA2420 road we couldn’t see any trail markings so we followed the road to the right. That way you pass a memorial to 69 people massacred in 1936.
Monreal to Tiebas. Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s downhill: there is a lot of going uphill as you going around the mountain.. The Tiebas albergue is run by Lourdes who is super helpful. It’s clean with 2 floors and 14 beds.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.