• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino aragones to camino del norte

Jan Nieuwland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portugues (2013)
Cami de St. Jaume (2014)
Camino aragones (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte (2017)
Hi
Next April I will continue my camino on the camino aragones.
This camino will join with the camino frances at Puente la Reina.
Instead of the camino Frances, I would like to continue my pelgimage on the camino del norte.
Anyone knows how to connect best from Puente la Reina to Bilbao? (caminando of course)
Thank you,
Buen camino to all

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not sure, but I will say that if you join the Norte in Bilbao you'll have missed the parts of the Norte that seem most unique/exciting (the rugged Basque coast). You'll still have lovely Asturias (and their grilled meats) lying ahead of you, but you'll have missed a lot of the Norte's most iconic landscapes. Just my .02

I would very much like to walk Arles--> Puente la Reina --> connect to Norte someday.
My daydream plan would be to walk from Puente la Reina eastward for one day to Trinidad de Arre ( Just east of Pamplona.) There you can pick up the Camino Baztan, which has the red/white GR markings in both directions. It's three days from Trinidad to Hendaye, which the Norte starting point on the French side of the border.

This is not super direct, but if you have the time, consider walking east on the Frances to Roncesvalles or SJPDP. Then take either the GR 10 or GR 11 through the Pyrenees (or foothills) along the French/Spanish border to Hendaye/Irun, and begin the Norte from there.

You can walk to Pamplona along the Aragones, there is a turn off( not sure where) that some people take.

Good Luck

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions, so far.
I don't think, I can handle a detour of more than one week crossing the pyrenees twice, through the snow in April.

Though, I think there is some clue in mikevasey's reaction :
You can walk to Pamplona along the Aragones, there is a turn off( not sure where) that some people take.
And maybe in the underlines from waveprof:
"Walker, your treads are/the path and nothing more;/walker, there is no path,/ the path is made when walking.
When walking the path is made/ and when looking back /you see the path that never / has to be walked again...
When the goldfinch cannot sing./When the poet is a pilgrim,/when praying has no use./'Walker, there is no path,/the path is made when walking...'"~Antonio Machado

I really want to find more info on how to connect to the camino del norte more directly.

Buen camino to all,
Jan Nieuwland

And you could take the bus from Punte la Reina in the morning to Bilbao, San Sebastian or Irun and save some time for the Norte.

A forum member, Caminka, walked from Turin, over the Alps, on to the Arles, turned off at Toulouse to the Piedmont, via Lourdes, up the Ossau Valley, Aragones, Pamplona and from here she walked an alternate route to Burgos( way marked), It runs parallel to the Frances but goes more north ( Vitoria being most northerly), there may be points on this that you could find to walk over the mountains. There is a Basque mountain Association, they may be able to point you in the way of other connecting routes to Bilbao, or perhaps somewhere further west.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back