• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Autumn (just for a change) ;-)

Annette

My turn to ask a question ;-)

I've done all my 4 caminos in (August) September… and I am well aware of the weather this time… (it's my favorite time....)

However… since I might have my "summer" vacation late this year… perhaps end of October or beginning of November…

I do know less albergues will be open at this time… and I am already looking into the list of open Albergues…

I would like to hear from someone who have actually done the camino at this time of year…

What was the weather like… rain…? temp… ? Wind? ...(snow…? may be a bit to early…).

Plan is to walk from Astorga - Finistere… or spend a week as hospitalera in Triacastella (if things works out) and then walk to Santiago…

- I know Galicia have its moments of rain… sometimes heavy rain…

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Annette - I walked from St Jean d PP in November last year - some days it was shorts and sunscreen. I stopped in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and when I went back in the first week of January it was rain, rain, rain :)

Question...

Hi Annette! I am going on the Camino (Camino Frances) for the first time. I'm going at the end of August through September and I was wondering what kind of weather I should expect (rain?) or if you had any praticular advice from your experiences.
-Toni :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Toni,

Usually the weather in August and Septepber is nice... August can be quite hot... (up to 35-40ºC) september a little cooler... usually around 25ºC (and warmer). - However I experienced last year when walking that September can be quite cold as well so I needed to by a good longsleve when I arrived in Leon... temp. was down to 10ºC in the morning... and 2 days it only came up to 17ºC during the day...

Also you should know September is the rain season of Galicia... so you can expect rain...

Do bring some rain gear...

It is always difficult to predict the weather... I would hate to tell you to bring a thermal sweather in case it gets as cold as last year... - (the weather took me by surprise)... but do bring something longsleave... I usually carry one of these longsleve "skiing underwear" - it light, it is "warm" and it does not take up much space...

I hope that helps...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Annette
We've always walked in Autumn and the weather has been lovely (cold mornings, hot afternoons and cool evenings!). Broadly speaking places and venues seem quiet enough but we like it so.
Enjoy. :)

Hi Annette I have read some of your blogs and was returning to ask you about the weather in September and here you are asking about the weather for later in the year. I am coming from Australia to start on about 5th September from Roncenvales and really need some idea as to what sort of temp range my sleeping bag should be. I don't know if the hostels and such are heated in any way or how cold it gets at night and I want to carry as lighter load as possible. Thanks for al the other useful info
sheryl

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Sheryl,

September is a great month to walk... it is still quite warm and not to much rain.
However - last september was the coldest I had walked... mornings and evenings. So bring a long sleve... perhaps one for walking and one for wearing at night... (they to end to smell at bit ;-) )

Heating is not an option in september, and it is not needed. If you are bringing a thin sleepingbag and you get cold one night, most albergues do have blankets you can use.

Temp during the day will usually be approx. 25-30ºC... it can be warmer... but also colder... It is so difficult to predict the weather. Apart from last september, september has always been a great month for me to do the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back