• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Backpack and Kit Video

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for posting the gear list so quickly. My camino is coming up in 6 weeks and this information is really helpful. (Especially since my pack is the same brand and similar in size. )

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi David
A very helpful video for us first timers.
I missed the brand of your hoodie please??
Loved the curious cat in the background..;):D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
50 liters? That bag looks a lot smaller than my 40 liter. And so much for these people who claim ziplock bags don't make noise! Just listen to the noise when David puts his flipflops in the ziplock! That will wake up an albergue very easily. So much noisy plastic to keep things dry yet no rain gear...

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m glad some found the video of interest. I’ll try to answer all questions below.

My Sleeping Bag: North 49 Micra Lite Rectangular Sleeping Bag: http://goo.gl/hAHhE3
(You can use a silk linear if you tend to get cold at night)

The rain gear I use is called, The Packa: http://www.thepacka.com

My Jacket: Arc'teryx Atom LT. Hoody: http://goo.gl/kQzM6S

My backpack is a Deuter ACT Lite 50 + 10

This is the first video I put up, which briefly talks about my outer backpack and trekking pole modifications:

My Trekking poles are, Black Diamond Ultra Mountain Carbon: http://goo.gl/LlFsF6

In regards to my plastic ziploc bags making noise and waking others, that’s a non-issue to me. The bags don’t wake people, people wake people! As I stated in the video, my bag is packed prior to bed and ready to go in the morning. Regardless of that, I always wait for other pilgrims to wake, prior to getting up myself; normally that’s around 6am. My walking cloths are ready and I only need to brush my teeth, pack my sleeping bag and off I go to find a Café con Leche.

Cheers,
Dave

I’ll just elaborate on my backpack, as I know some within the Camino community become overly focused on weight and size.

For myself, the criteria for choosing a backpack is simple, and without pre-conceived restrictions: I try and test a wide variety and choose a pack which fits well, feels comfortable, manages/distributes the load well and easy to pack and retrieve gear with ease.

On my first Camino I took a smaller pack, but I found it very inconvenient and my shoulders ached each day (yes, it was sized correctly :D ). I realised that I had bought into the minimalist view, rather than common sense, using what works for me and my body. That’s the key – go with what works for you!

The premise that if you have additional space, you’ll only fill it with unnecessary kit, is a falsely IMO. Besides, if one does take additional items that are not required, they will soon become aware and adjust accordingly.

In essence, I like packs, which provide enough room to navigate through my gear easily and doesn’t restrict the load contents. Some complain about the weight of the pack, but the difference in most cases is negligible, but the benefits for a healthy and comfortable journey far outweigh mere ounces/grams.

Regardless, each to their own. :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the informational video. My wife and I are leaving on March 17,16. because of you information I am going to change some things in my pack.

I’ll just elaborate on my backpack, as I know some within the Camino community become overly focused on weight and size.

Some complain about the weight of the pack, but the difference in most cases is negligible, but the benefits for a healthy and comfortable journey far outweigh mere ounces/grams.

Regardless, each to their own. :D

That's all very well - but your pack weighs 1.7kg and your sleeping bag 0,6kg - that's rather a lot of mere ounces/grams

That's as much as I carry in total on a May/Sep camino (though I carry liquid on top of that)

That's all very well - but your pack weighs 1.7kg and your sleeping bag 0,6kg - that's rather a lot of mere ounces/grams

That's as much as I carry in total on a May/Sep camino (though I carry liquid on top of that)

spurfan; you carry 2.3 kg (5lbs) of kit (plus water) – that’s impressive. I don’t understand it, or even why, but that’s the beauty of the Camino – each to their own. However, I would be very curious to see your kit list.

My complete kit, with water and snacks is usually around 18 to 21 lbs (8 to 9.5 kg), and I’m very comfortable about that. I don’t weigh each item or focus on the weight/size of a backpack (or any kit really). It’s all about comfort and necessity – everything else, including weight will work itself out.

I certainly don’t carry any unnecessary kit; only what I need. One also needs to factor in the person’s size and body. As an example, I am 6 foot 2 inches (187 cm) and weigh 185lbs (83.9 kg). My pants and shirts may be bigger than others, which increases weight a bit. Also shoe size is a factor, as many other things are.

The best advice, I can give those thinking about walking the Camino, would not be to focus so much on weight and size of your gear, but again, the comfort and functionality. Certainly weight play’s a part, but that is manageable.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your comment. Take care and all the best!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
spurfan; you carry 2.3 kg (5lbs) of kit (plus water) – that’s impressive. I don’t understand it, or even why, but that’s the beauty of the Camino – each to their own. However, I would be very curious to see your kit list.

Spare Merino shirt, underpants, socks, running shorts, towel and a sleeping bag liner - cap and rain jacket
Toiletries, couple of guidebooks, moneybelt, earplugs, chocolate and plenty of liquid

Spare Merino shirt, underpants, socks, running shorts, towel and a sleeping bag liner - cap and rain jacket
Toiletries, couple of guidebooks, moneybelt, earplugs, chocolate and plenty of liquid
I wish I could get by with that little bit, but we leave next Thursday and it was snowing in Roncesvalles yesterday. Actually pack is a 13.5 pounds including a sleep bag, excluding water. I am happy with that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wish I could get by with that little bit, but we leave next Thursday and it was snowing in Roncesvalles yesterday. Actually pack is a 13.5 pounds including a sleep bag, excluding water. I am happy with that.

That's why I don't walk at this time of year - though if I had to protect against cold weather I'd add a thermal jacket, helly hansen long johns, gloves, silk balaclava and thicker Merino shirt, replace bag liner with sleeping bag- total additional weight say 1kg

[QUOTE="Great video! How do you carry your water? Do you use a Smartube? Also is you food stuffed in there somewhere or do you just carry the gorp?
Thanks,
Jennifer[/QUOTE]

Hi Jennifer; No, I do not use a Smartube. The second video above shows how I manage my 900ml water bottle. However, pending how you have your water set-up, a Smartube may prove a handy modification.

I regards to food; I normally don’t carry anything other than some mixed nuts w/raisons and an apple or banana for breakfast. Lunch or dinner I enjoy eating on the local economy and meeting people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the video well done.

Many Pilgrims that carried those ultra light sleeping bags found they were not warm enough in the mountainous areas, especially in the old solid stone Albergues. I got myself a very light MSR tech blanket. You're sleeping on matts so you don't need insulation below you. I gave up carrying laundry detergent and doing my own clothes. Paying somebody 5-10 euros at the albergue to run the clothes through the washer/drier was a lot better than having to deal with damp clothes the next morning. A common rule of albergue etiquette is not to make noise moving around plastic bags early in the morning. If you're an early riser, I suggest buying a waterproof nylon pack liner.

My backpack is packed the night before, so I have no issues with plastic bags. Regardless, I normally wake with everyone else at 6am, so again, it would not be an issue. I’m very conscious of other pilgrims.

In regards to the laundry soap, I rarely use or carry that; I had it from another trip, so I thought I would show it in the video. I normally wash my cloths in the shower, or in a spare sink; however, if laundry facilities are available, I’ll use them as well, as it gives me a break.

In regards to sleeping bags, I find they are an individual choice, as some people sleep hotter/colder than others. Depending the time of year, I will also carry a silk liner.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Dave

Why remove the straps off your poles? Isn't proper pole technique not gripping the pole but using the strap?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why remove the straps off your poles? Isn't proper pole technique not gripping the pole but using the strap?

Anemone del Camino –Essentially, I removed the factory straps, as I found them bulky and replaced them with a thinner set, which work for me. This was a personal modification, so others would have to determine their own needs in this regard.

Years ago, I slipped and was unable to get my hand out quickly enough. So in my case, I felt the larger straps restricted and entrapment my wrist, and was concerned if I slipped again, it would lead to an injury.

Hope this explains my reasoning.

Cheers,

I was just reminiscing about my Camino in September/October of 2015 and how glad I was to have those trekking poles.

I’m not a fan of snakes and as luck would have it, I saw 4 vipers during that Camino.

Additionally, an Australian gentleman was walking with us down to Zubri and a rather larger viper struck out at him from the bushes; he was fine and un-phased, but it was a wake up call for me.

The picture is of a little guy I seen just on the outskirts of Logroño.

It reminded me, that if I put my pack down, to check the area and to give it a shake when I picked it back up.

Attachments

• 20150917_105931.jpg
    20150917_105931.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.