A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino Baix Maestrat from Vinaros (Mediterranean)?

Santiago Photo Book

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Camino Portugues, June 2019
A friend of mine lives in a very small village near the Mediterranean coast, about half way between Valencia and Barcelona. Her town is Calig de la Torre and she just sent me a picture of an official Camino shell/yellow arrow marker. I looked it up and it seems to be a fairly new Camino called Baix Maestrat, starting in Vinaros. Anyone here have any experience on this route?

MTowers

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago in 2015 and Camino Finisterre in September 2017
Camino Portuguese from Tui 2018
Thank you Henri, that's very interesting. Buen Camino.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
C. Frances, Sept 2017
It ends in the town of Vallivana. I can't see how it connects to another Camino a Santiago from there.

Last edited:

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Ah, it looks like it connects with the Camino Castellon at Vallivana. Neither of these routes is on the forum, so I guess these need to be added, too! Both are "certified" Caminos.

Camino(s) past & future
Madrid to Santiago (May 2016)
I've hiked in that part of Spain, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Very low population density. Some hard going at times, so I hope for pilgrims that the pilgrim route doesn't follow the existing GR through the Maestrat.

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Camino(s) past & future
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
A friend of mine lives in a very small village near the Mediterranean coast, about half way between Valencia and Barcelona. Her town is Calig de la Torre and she just sent me a picture of an official Camino shell/yellow arrow marker. I looked it up and it seems to be a fairly new Camino called Baix Maestrat, starting in Vinaros. Anyone here have any experience on this route?
Hi Jil! I lived in Calig from 2004 to 2012. I'm just back from a week's holiday back there visiting old friends, and was amazed to see the shell signs and yellow arrows.
Further investigation, shows that it is, indeed, the Baix Maestrat camino. Oh dear! Camino number nine seems to be beckoning .....

peregrina2000

Staff member
It’s always so great to be tempted by more and more new caminos! Thanks for this, Jill.

The website Henri linked us to says that it joins up with the Ruta del Ebro after Vallivana, but I have walked the Ebro and for the life of me can’t figure out where that connection would possibly be.

But this map shows that the Castellón connects with the Ebro, so my guess is that the Baix Maestrat connects with the Castellón which connects with the Ebro. Complicated. But that makes it more fun!

Stephen Nicholls

Camino(s) past & future
It’s always so great to be tempted by more and more new caminos! Thanks for this, Jill. The website Henri linked us to says that it joins up with the Ruta del Ebro after Vallivana, but I have walked the Ebro and for the life of me can’t figure out where that connection would possibly be. But this map shows that the Castellón connects with the Ebro, so my guess is that the Baix Maestrat connects with the Castellón which connects with the Ebro. Complicated. But that makes it more fun!
I'm really too old to be contemplating this, Peregrina 2000 [assume that was your year of birth :) ] but that might just be my camino number 9! It can't be done until next year as I'm off to the Costa Brava in September ....

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Hi Jil! I lived in Calig from 2004 to 2012. I'm just back from a week's holiday back there visiting old friends, and was amazed to see the shell signs and yellow arrows.
Further investigation, shows that it is, indeed, the Baix Maestrat camino. Oh dear! Camino number nine seems to be beckoning .....
Did you ever meet Carolina Yahne and Bill Zimmer? They are from New Mexico, USA and have a little house there.

Stephen Nicholls

Camino(s) past & future
I e-mailed Ivar asking if we might have a forum dedicated to this camino, but have had no reply.
Could I just ask if anyone has walked this camino yet?
Information on severity of climbs would be appreciated as I'll be 81 when attempting it next year.
Many thanks!

frontiers

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2010)
Portugués (2016)
Inglés (2019)
There is some more info about this camino and how it merges with the one coming from Castelló in this link:

Curiously enough, all the people that I know who started their camino in Vinaròs (their home town) took another route: from Vinaròs to Tortosa and from there on the Ebro route to Logroño. This also makes a lot of sense and is the first option that has come to my mind when reading the title of the thread. Although Vinaròs is in the Valencian Autonomous Region, it belongs to the diocese of Tortosa (Catalan Autonomous Region), as is the case of most (if not all) towns in Baix Maestrat. This, in fact, has had plenty of sociocultural implications in this region.

In any case, both ways should be just wonderful. In particular, Morella (in the Castelló route) and all the little villages nearby are just so beatiful ...

Some more info on the Castelló route can be found here

It merges with the Baix Maestrat route in stage 4:

I hope you enjoy the route (and the planning)!

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012)
CP(2015)
St Olavs Way Norway(2016)
88 Temples Japan(2017)
PWC & VF(2019)
Israel (2020)
Uh oh...another one to add to The List.
Funny how you tick them off & yet the list continues to grow!
Happy trails everyone 🤗
👣 🌏

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
And the 3 stages can be found on Wikiloc:

lindam

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Via de La Plata, Portuguese, Camino Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan and Aragones, Norte

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 44 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 268 24.5%