• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Baix Maestrat from Vinaros (Mediterranean)?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
A friend of mine lives in a very small village near the Mediterranean coast, about half way between Valencia and Barcelona. Her town is Calig de la Torre and she just sent me a picture of an official Camino shell/yellow arrow marker. I looked it up and it seems to be a fairly new Camino called Baix Maestrat, starting in Vinaros. Anyone here have any experience on this route?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Henri, that's very interesting. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It ends in the town of Vallivana. I can't see how it connects to another Camino a Santiago from there.

Last edited:
Ah, it looks like it connects with the Camino Castellon at Vallivana. Neither of these routes is on the forum, so I guess these need to be added, too! Both are "certified" Caminos.

I've hiked in that part of Spain, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Very low population density. Some hard going at times, so I hope for pilgrims that the pilgrim route doesn't follow the existing GR through the Maestrat.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A friend of mine lives in a very small village near the Mediterranean coast, about half way between Valencia and Barcelona. Her town is Calig de la Torre and she just sent me a picture of an official Camino shell/yellow arrow marker. I looked it up and it seems to be a fairly new Camino called Baix Maestrat, starting in Vinaros. Anyone here have any experience on this route?
Hi Jil! I lived in Calig from 2004 to 2012. I'm just back from a week's holiday back there visiting old friends, and was amazed to see the shell signs and yellow arrows.
Further investigation, shows that it is, indeed, the Baix Maestrat camino. Oh dear! Camino number nine seems to be beckoning .....

It’s always so great to be tempted by more and more new caminos! Thanks for this, Jill.

The website Henri linked us to says that it joins up with the Ruta del Ebro after Vallivana, but I have walked the Ebro and for the life of me can’t figure out where that connection would possibly be.

But this map shows that the Castellón connects with the Ebro, so my guess is that the Baix Maestrat connects with the Castellón which connects with the Ebro. Complicated. But that makes it more fun!

It’s always so great to be tempted by more and more new caminos! Thanks for this, Jill. The website Henri linked us to says that it joins up with the Ruta del Ebro after Vallivana, but I have walked the Ebro and for the life of me can’t figure out where that connection would possibly be. But this map shows that the Castellón connects with the Ebro, so my guess is that the Baix Maestrat connects with the Castellón which connects with the Ebro. Complicated. But that makes it more fun!
I'm really too old to be contemplating this, Peregrina 2000 [assume that was your year of birth :) ] but that might just be my camino number 9! It can't be done until next year as I'm off to the Costa Brava in September ....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jil! I lived in Calig from 2004 to 2012. I'm just back from a week's holiday back there visiting old friends, and was amazed to see the shell signs and yellow arrows.
Further investigation, shows that it is, indeed, the Baix Maestrat camino. Oh dear! Camino number nine seems to be beckoning .....

Did you ever meet Carolina Yahne and Bill Zimmer? They are from New Mexico, USA and have a little house there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I e-mailed Ivar asking if we might have a forum dedicated to this camino, but have had no reply.
Could I just ask if anyone has walked this camino yet?
Information on severity of climbs would be appreciated as I'll be 81 when attempting it next year.
Many thanks!

There is some more info about this camino and how it merges with the one coming from Castelló in this link:

Curiously enough, all the people that I know who started their camino in Vinaròs (their home town) took another route: from Vinaròs to Tortosa and from there on the Ebro route to Logroño. This also makes a lot of sense and is the first option that has come to my mind when reading the title of the thread. Although Vinaròs is in the Valencian Autonomous Region, it belongs to the diocese of Tortosa (Catalan Autonomous Region), as is the case of most (if not all) towns in Baix Maestrat. This, in fact, has had plenty of sociocultural implications in this region.

In any case, both ways should be just wonderful. In particular, Morella (in the Castelló route) and all the little villages nearby are just so beatiful ...

Some more info on the Castelló route can be found here

It merges with the Baix Maestrat route in stage 4:

I hope you enjoy the route (and the planning)!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Uh oh...another one to add to The List.
Funny how you tick them off & yet the list continues to grow!
Happy trails everyone 🤗
👣 🌏

And the 3 stages can be found on Wikiloc:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've no wish for this particular forum to hibernate! Almost two months since the last entry, so may I ask once more if anyone reading this has actually walked this short camino?
My plan now is for a possible walk on it next April. But I would like to hear from anyone who has walked it, and who can indicate just how difficult it might be.
After all, the "Maestrat" are the mountains.
Many thanks and blessings from a grey England .....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh so happy to read this! You gave us so many helpful tips when we walked the Ebro. I am a little unclear on your route, Stephen, clue me in! Buen camino, Laurie
Well, Laurie, as far as I can see at the moment, I will start in Vinaros and the route should be .....
Vinaros 12.3 kms
Calig 11.5 kms
Cervera 10.8 kms
San Mateu 10.4 kms
Anroig 7.8 kms
Vallivana

I may well only walk those distances each day - 6 to 7 miles is fine for me in a day. I know some peregrinos would walk the whole camino in 1 day!!! But that's not me. And I will be 81 years old!
Remember I also lived in the area for eight years, so will enjoy each of those towns as I pass through them. I'm just hoping that it won't be all road walking, but I note that one section is the N232 all the way :(
Let's wait and see!
Blessings to all peregrinos from cold East England [2 degs C]

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a quickie, Laurie. As you may imagine, my April plans are all to pot due to the coronavirus. BUT .... I am now planning this for NEXT April 2021. By then I'll be feeling 110 years old! :)

Well, as you may imagine, my April plans went all to pot due to a certain corona virus. So .... the plan is to walk the Baix Maestrat camino NEXT May.
Heck - I'll be 82 by then!
Can I please ask again if anyone has already walked this camino, what is the difficulty of the path? What % [more or less] is on roadways, and what is the severity of the climb?
Many thanks. Bless you all. Keep safe .... hasta la proxima!
Stephen.

I really don't want this forum to die!! My plans have been put back a further year due to covid19, so I now hope to visit friends and walk this short camino in May 2022.
I still walk short distances every day, and recently took this photo of a lake some two miles away...
Keep safe: keep healthy: keep dreaming of the next camino!
Stephen.P1120103.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK OK everything is put back, year after year. I really hope to walk this camino in May 2022: heck I'll be 83 by then! If anyone has walked it, please tell me the difficulties and maybe problems walking over the Maistrat mountains. Is the camino well sign posted? Many thanks: God bless each one of you, and each peregrino in Spain at the moment.

OK OK everything is put back, year after year. I really hope to walk this camino in May 2022: heck I'll be 83 by then! If anyone has walked it, please tell me the difficulties and maybe problems walking over the Maistrat mountains. Is the camino well sign posted? Many thanks: God bless each one of you, and each peregrino in Spain at the moment.
I'm rooting for you, Stephen!

€60,-
It ends in the town of Vallivana. I can't see how it connects to another Camino a Santiago from there.
The more historical principal route (may not be waymarked !!) from there is one going through Tortosa and eventually on to the Ebro Way, though both variants lead eventually to Fuentes de Ebro, and on to Zaragoza > Logroño and the Francès.

But there are dozens of secondary and tertiary pilgrimage routes leading up from that coastline.

Looks like a fair amount of Sierra to get through, fine if that's your cup of tea.

The more historical principal route (may not be waymarked !!) from there is one going through Tortosa and eventually on to the Ebro Way, though both variants lead eventually to Fuentes de Ebro, and on to Zaragoza > Logroño and the Francès. But there are dozens of secondary and tertiary pilgrimage routes leading up from that coastline. Looks like a fair amount of Sierra to get through, fine if that's your cup of tea.
I walked the Ebro camino a few years ago, and loved every minute of it's peaceful path. But I'll be content to [finally] walk this new section from my old town of Vinaros: I can keep the distances down to around 10 kms each day, as I know every town it passes through.
Buen camino, amigos!
Steve in grey England [where it's currently 13 deg C and I'm getting out my winter coat!!!!!]

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back