• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Baztan - Eroski guide

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
I first heard about this route last year and I've been itching to find out more about it. I'm thinking that it could be an alternative start to a Camino Frances, or a quiet mini-Camino in its own right. It's just 109 kms long - starts at Bayonne (perfect for those of us who can get cheap flights to Biarritz) and finishes in Pamplona.

I saved the Eroski guide as a pdf and posted it here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-baztan.444/ The google translation isn't perfect, but it's good enough.

Has anyone walked this route? I would love to hear your experiences.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Nuala,
Have you see the English language copy of a government guide I did a few years ago? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/translation-of-spanish-guide-to-baztan.12765/ A friend was interested in the camino so I did a quick translation. There is also a fact sheet posted on that thread from another pilgrim who walked.

@Kiwi-family used the translation and put a lot of finishing touches on it, I think. I'm sure Rachel will be able to give you some updates since they walked it lastt year.

I agree with you completely that it would be a great way to start out.

Hi, Nuala,
Have you see the English language copy of a government guide I did a few years ago? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/translation-of-spanish-guide-to-baztan.12765/ A friend was interested in the camino so I did a quick translation. There is also a fact sheet posted on that thread from another pilgrim who walked.

@Kiwi-family used the translation and put a lot of finishing touches on it, I think. I'm sure Rachel will be able to give you some updates since they walked it lastt year.

I agree with you completely that it would be a great way to start out.

Thanks Laurie! I've just downloaded your guide - it's really helpful.

I'm very tempted by this route. I'll hopefully be walking the Primitivo in September/October with my other half, but I'm also plotting a little solo escape at some point. It will be a toss up between the Baztan and the Salvador - Baztan is in the lead at the moment, partly because of the simplicity of getting there (sorry, it's so much easier for those of us who live in Europe!).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Baztan or Salvador - you can't go wrong! If it were me, I'd be trying to wrangle an extra four days and tack the Salvador on to the Primitivo, and make the Baztan your solo excursion! I'm a both/and kinda girl.
Baztan......river walk from Bayonne (which is a cute place in and of itself).....Espelette with its peppers (and tourists and great wee albergue).....fabulous climbing day through the forest......rural tracks.....
Convinced yet? There are some pictures and commentary on my blog if you like - click the Baztan link.

Wow Rachel, your blog is fantastic. And the Baztan photos and commentary are really swaying me towards that route - it looks perfect for a quiet few days of rural walking.

I like your suggestion about finding the time to preface the Primitivo with the del Salvador. I had initially ruled this out, but it might be possible. We had to cancel a planned trip this month due to family pressures, so if everything settles down, it would be wonderful to look forward to a longer Camino together later in the year.

Lots to think about - thanks so much for your input!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back