• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Baztan still possible this September?

Stuartwe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2020
Unfortunately my plan to walk the Camino Frances in September and October this year has been shelved because of the Coronavirus pandemic.
I still have a flight booked to Biarritz and a flight back from Santiago I am sure I could rearrange so I am seriously considering whether I might still travel and attempt to complete the Camino Baztan over a period of 6/7 days.
Reading a recent thread,it appears that the Albergues are all closed so my question is notwithstanding any more dismal news regarding the pandemic,would it be possible on this route to obtain sufficient private accommodation in small hotels/guest houses that might remain open?
Any guidance and advice greatly appreciated,my head is telling me to forget everything this year and walk when things hopefully become clearer,whenever that may be,but my heart is still pushing me towards Spain.....which shall I go with?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good lucky with your inquiry and search regarding the Baztan. I hope you will fulfill your plans.
Please post your findings and results. I'm part of a small group that since last year has planned to walk the Baztan in October this year. So any help and advice would be helpful. Cheers and good luck.
Ferdinand

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are already in Europe you should be fine, barring any sudden upticks in Covid infections... and if you are prepared to wear masks the whole time.

Unfortunately my plan to walk the Camino Frances in September and October this year has been shelved because of the Coronavirus pandemic.
I still have a flight booked to Biarritz and a flight back from Santiago I am sure I could rearrange so I am seriously considering whether I might still travel and attempt to complete the Camino Baztan over a period of 6/7 days.
Reading a recent thread,it appears that the Albergues are all closed so my question is notwithstanding any more dismal news regarding the pandemic,would it be possible on this route to obtain sufficient private accommodation in small hotels/guest houses that might remain open?
Any guidance and advice greatly appreciated,my head is telling me to forget everything this year and walk when things hopefully become clearer,whenever that may be,but my heart is still pushing me towards Spain.....which shall I go with?
All of the albergues of Camino Baztan are closed this year.

Stuartwe,you are interested in small hotels,guest houses on the Camino Baztan.
On the excellent Spanish website Gronze you will find information on the accommodation available for each stage on the Baztan along with contact details.
Some of the accommodation ,as you will see is very expensive.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could look at local tourist boards for guest house accommodation. Or Air bnb.

You could look at local tourist boards for guest house accommodation. Or Air bnb.
Thanks Fleur,
I recall reading that this route is limited In terms of available facilities so with the Covid pandemic anticipate this will be even more restricted.
Will take up your suggestion and make further enquires before I decide whether I go as I still have several weeks to continue to monitor the situation.

Stuartwe,you are interested in small hotels,guest houses on the Camino Baztan.
On the excellent Spanish website Gronze you will find information on the accommodation available for each stage on the Baztan along with contact details.
Some of the accommodation ,as you will see is very expensive.
Thank you for your reply.
It is a good suggestion so will continue to investigate further

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good lucky with your inquiry and search regarding the Baztan. I hope you will fulfill your plans.
Please post your findings and results. I'm part of a small group that since last year has planned to walk the Baztan in October this year. So any help and advice would be helpful. Cheers and good luck.
Ferdinand
Thank you Ferdinand,
if I make the trip I will be sure to let you know.
thank you for your kind wishes

All of the albergues of Camino Baztan are closed this year.
Thank you for the confirmation,I will investigate what other accommodation options are available and may have to make some revisions to my previously planned stages

Unfortunately I have decided that rather than prolong the uncertainty,I have cancelled my accommodation options and put any thoughts of completing any sort of Camino this year firmly out of my mind for the foreseeable future.
It is of course purely a personal decision based on the information available and I wish all the very best to all those who decide otherwise.
Hopefully I can one day make the trip and it will be all the more sweeter as a result....”all good things come to those that wait“,I was often told as a child....now I have grown up,we shall see.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So sorry, @Stuartwe, that your plans for walking the Baztan this year are derailed. You have made a wise decision to pospone while maintaining a very positive attitude!

So sorry, @Stuartwe, that your plans for walking the Baztan this year are derailed. You have made a wise decision to pospone while maintaining a very positive attitude!
Thank you Chrissy,
I am sure I am in good company in sharing my disappointment with many others who have regrettably come to the same decision.
Always helps to keep a sense of perspective though and I am sure I will make it and already making plans for 2022.....as next year may be too busy if hopefully Covid -19 is defeated,coupled with the Holy Year.
Like you said,I am comfortable with my decision now which is the right one for me.
Best wishes from England
Stuart

A wise decision, Stuart, and one that you seem at ease with. Things are still so fluid, and changing all the time. People in Spain can go or not on the spur of the moment, but flying makes the decision process so much more complicated.
May your Camino Baztanes happen in 2022! It is a gorgeous walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A wise decision, Stuart, and one that you seem at ease with. Things are still so fluid, and changing all the time. People in Spain can go or not on the spur of the moment, but flying makes the decision process so much more complicated.
May your Camino Baztanes happen in 2022! It is a gorgeous walk.
Thank you for your kind words.
My new plan is to walk the Camino del Baztan before picking up the Camino Frances in Pamplona.
I have reconciled my decision with the fact that I have enjoyed the planning over the last two years so I have another two years planning to look forward to!...every cloud and all that.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back