• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Baztan

• Thread starter Former member 105117
  • Start date
F

Former member 105117

Looking for information about water along the Camino Baztan. I can find much about food and lodging, but no one mentions water. Must I plan to carry water for days, or are there places to re-supply?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wherever there is food and lodging, there will be water so I think it is unlikely that you will need to carry more than a day's drinking water. We have walked some quite remote caminos and never had to carry more than what we needed to drink on the walk. But it would be good to have that corroborated by someone who has walked this route.

I have not done this route, so cannot advise you about fuentes along the way, but I note from Gronze that no stage is more than 5.7km from another, and most are a lot shorter. If you need a refill, there will be cafés and social centres etc, where you will be able to refill your container. Even if you get rained on a bit (it's called Espana verde for a reason!), remember that you can dehydrate even if soaked, so your sense of caution is to be commended.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't remember fuentes along the Baztan but that doesn't mean they weren't there. I have a water bladder that holds 3 liters, so I never neefed to look.

But just know that between Elizondo and Lantz, the opportunities for water were fewer than the first part.

@Duckadang traditionally if you find a bar/restaurant, you can stop and order a coffee or snack and ask to have your water bottle refilled on the Camino. If there is not a village fountain/water point, this is the common way to get water refilled. I rarely carry more than 500 ml or 1L when I know there will be towns along the way. If there is a longer stretch (16 km or so) then I will carry more.

I'm like @VNwalking and carry plenty of water all the time - certainly there is water wherever you end up staying. On a couple of occasions when it was exceedingly hot (on other routes) we ran out of water before we came to the next settlement and so I asked someone in their garden if we could fill our bladders - one lady even gave us chocolate as well!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From initial research, there may not be places to stay, or places to buy food, at every stop. Remains to be seen...

Certainly if you stop in Amaiur or Berroeta there is neither tienda nor bar - but there is water! You do need to carry some food with you but it is so worth it! In Berroeta the whole village and surrounds come out in the evening beside the albergue - very friendly.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"In Berroeta the whole village and surrounds come out in the evening beside the albergue".
If I had never heard of The Camino and did not enjoy walking, I'd want to BE in this place, among a group of people that choose this as their way of life.
God grant me that I may experience such as this, once again, in this life...

No cause for concern. There is plenty of water along this route. I don't recall ever having to carry more than a litre or not being able to replenish at a fuente, a tap or a bar.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Berroeta, no food, bring dinner supplies from previous stop. We didn't see everyone come and sit outside the albergue which we 4 had to ourselves. Village very quiet. It was our " no wine Sunday" !

Last edited:
Everywhere there's a shop or bar there's water. This is the rainiest part of Spain, you won't die of thirst.

The Baztan is great. Loved it in April.....so green. Lots of Basque food and plenty of water before Elizando but not so many services after Elizando. I got stuck on Easter after Elizando with no food. Don't pick easter as your start.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looking for information about water along the Camino Baztan. I can find much about food and lodging, but no one mentions water. Must I plan to carry water for days, or are there places to re-supply?
I walked a few years ago, water was not an issue. Enjoy

I would add that this isn't really a great Camino for a first-timer. There's likely to be no other pilgrims and the Camino passes through some remote areas and is hard to follow at times. If this is your first time I would recommend a more frequented Camino.

I would add that this isn't really a great Camino for a first-timer. There's likely to be no other pilgrims and the Camino passes through some remote areas and is hard to follow at times. If this is your first time I would recommend a more frequented Camino.
Maybe, maybe not.
For someone with a decent map (or map app), and a liking for solitude it's perfect. Not all first-timers need the hubhub of the Francés.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks and I understand your meaning. But for me, the facts that the will be fewer pilgrims and the remoteness are the reasons I want to walk this. If I get lost, there will be a reason. My Camino is about the journey and I'll prepare myself for possible unexpected opportunities. There won't be any wrong routes...simply alternative paths.

Thanks and I understand your meaning. But for me, the facts that the will be fewer pilgrims and the remoteness are the reasons I want to walk this. If I get lost, there will be a reason. My Camino is about the journey and I'll prepare myself for possible unexpected opportunities. There won't be any wrong routes...simply alternative paths.
Great reason to walk the Camino period!!!! The Baztan is beautiful.

I walked in 2017 without a guidebook, just using Gronze. It was my first Camino and a truly amazing introduction to the various benefits of walking a Camino. I walked in late August, and tend to drink a LOT of water, typically carrying a 1 liter bottle. I don’t recall running out, except for one day at the far end of a village where I stopped to have a snack, and I asked the kind gentleman of the house I was leaning against to refill my water. He also offered me beautiful tomatoes from his garden. I love the Baztan, and hope you do too!

I walked over a Sunday/Monday period and noted a lot of places were closed making for a few long days in search of a bed. I do recommend booking a day or two ahead for this reason.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"In Berroeta the whole village and surrounds come out in the evening beside the albergue".
If I had never heard of The Camino and did not enjoy walking, I'd want to BE in this place, among a group of people that choose this as their way of life.
God grant me that I may experience such as this, once again, in this life...
That wasn't my experience on the two occasions I stayed there. But how wonderful!

Is on my wishlist for this year 2023
Have not enough time to walk this year, so a short one will have to do...remote and walking alone is not an issue ;)

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back