• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino between Canero and Barcia (Cadavedo to Luarca)

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Between Canero and Barcia (in the stage between Cadavedo and Luarca), there is a Autovia crossing.
Gronze, Buen Camino app, and Cicerone guide all show the Camino coming down from behind the Canero Hotel and following a dirt trail that parallels the Autovia, crossing it over a bridge.
Wise Pilgrim app shows the Camino looping down from the Canero Hotel back up to cross the Autovia underneath it.
Which one is the 'correct' one (if one can call it correct), and which one is marked?
More to the point, which one did pilgrims who walked this route take, and which one is safest?
Thank you!
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi AJ,
My husband and I walked that last September and it was a very confusing corner. So much so that we decided to stop and have a coffee. As we sat and enjoyed our break, we noticed several pilgrims go by. One group continued up the road. I'm not sure what signs they were following but the next solo pilgrim continued past us and took a right off the road into a small field. We then asked the owner and he indicated to go behind the hotel. As we started up the road we noticed a faded yellow arrow painted on the right side of the road just where the solo pilgrim had gone. We took this which goes in to a small field next to the hotel then behind the hotel. It then crosses a stream and immediately turns left and climbs steeply up a dirt path up to a road. We crossed the road to the continuation of the dirt path which finally comes up to the autovia. At this point you are on an access road parallel to the autovia. Take this to where you cross over the autovia. It is very safe. The worst part is the relatively short but steep trail from behind the hotel.
Hope this helps in your planning
Buen Camino!

I was told that both options rejoin later on. I took the same one as Pilger Gal so can't offer any info about the alternative.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back