• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Bibliography

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi David,
What an amazing list, thank you.

The first book we read to do with the Camino de Santiago is not on your list.

Memoirs of a Pilgrim
Footprints on the Road to Santiago by Brad Kyle 2010
First published by Zeus Publications 2010 Burleigh M.D.C Queensland 4220 Australia
ISBN: 978-1-921731-35-8 (pbk.)

We got it from our local library in Swan Hill, Victoria, where we were living at the time but now own our own copy.
We greatly enjoyed the book. We read it first in 2011/2012 and walked our first Camino in 2014.

Also noticed you don't have:

Boots to Bliss by Claude Tranchant 2012
Printed and bound in Australia by Clark & Mackay
ISBN 978-0-646-58587-1 (Paperback)

We also enjoyed this book.

Best wishes,
Anne & Pat

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For what it's worth, I've compiled a bibliography of something over 200 Camino-related books in English (either originally or in translation).

You can find it in the Resources section: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-santiago-bibliography.785/

If you want me to add something to the bibliography, feel free to let me know in this thread.
An excellent resource!

I would add the collection of essays that my son and I compiled: Talbot, Lynn K. and Andrew Talbot Squires, eds. Following the Yellow Arrow: Younger Pilgrims on the Camino. Wingspan Press, 2011. The essays were all written by pilgrims who walked before the age of 25.

What a helpful forum member you are, David! Many thanks for your industrious research in producing this list. On first perusal, it appears to list all those I've read, several I would like to pursue, and a few that I would go out of my way to avoid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For what it's worth, I've compiled a bibliography of something over 200 Camino-related books in English (either originally or in translation).

You can find it in the Resources section: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-santiago-bibliography.785/

If you want me to add something to the bibliography, feel free to let me know in this thread.
Wow that is alot of books!!! Thanks, I think we traded posts about the Pilgrimage Road To Santiago. I really enjoyed that book. I am far more interested in reading about the history of the Camino. If you or anyone else can recommend their favorites on this subject I would appreciate it. Once again thanks for your hard work.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi David. I'd appreciate it if you could add this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0997941553/?tag=casaivar02-20
Thanks.

Hi David,
Great job on creating and sharing this bibliography. You should consider talking to Ivar about making this a permanent fixture on his FORUM as a great resource for past, present, and future pilgrims. May I ask you to include Terrence Callery's "SLOW CAMINO-My Adventure on the Camino de Santiago"
When I was reading this fun, easy read book last year, I found myself keeping the Brierly Guide next to me, along with my own notes and photos to compare our two experiences. I think both future and past pilgrims will enjoy this one.

Thanks for including my first book. However, I do have a second one 'I Have Walked 500 Miles' if you could include that one too. Thanks, Terry McHugh

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sadly, most books about the Camino are memiors and are quite similar.

I walked all day, got blisters, fellow pilgrims helped, sleeped at an albergue, fat guy
from France snorned. Had some self doubt about going the entire distance, but over came it.
Met cool guy from New Zeland who was into meditaion.
Bonded with my Camino Family.....so on and so on.

Pretty much the same stuff--- repeated over and over again.

When I read a Camino Book --- I am interested in the transformation.
The magical insights, the Easter Eggs discovered, the Univesal Truth and Philosophy,
the metaphores of faith, the walking meditation that brings the pilgrim to the infinite moment.

The inner journey. Not the fatigue or the blisters.

Hi David,
Great job on creating and sharing this bibliography. You should consider talking to Ivar about making this a permanent fixture on his FORUM as a great resource for past, present, and future pilgrims. May I ask you to include Terrence Callery's "SLOW CAMINO-My Adventure on the Camino de Santiago"
When I was reading this fun, easy read book last year, I found myself keeping the Brierly Guide next to me, along with my own notes and photos to compare our two experiences. I think both future and past pilgrims will enjoy this one.
Thanks! That's why I put the link in the resource section, so it would remain as permanent resource. Happy to add Slow Camino to his other books already in the list.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I too am having troubl accessing this list.
Across to the right I see 'No permission to download'
How do I gain permission ?

I walked all day, got blisters, ....., fat guyr from France snorned. Had some self doubt about going the entire distance, but over came it.
Met cool guy from New Zeland who was into meditaion.
Bonded with my Camino Family.....so on and so on.

Pretty much the same stuff--- repeated over and over again.
I knew it! All the fat guys are from France and all the cool guys are from NZ, thanks for confirming it 🥝😂

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@David Tallan
You might want to add Mann, Janice. Romanesque Architecture and its Sculptural Decoration in Christian Spain, 1000-1120: Exploring Frontiers and Defining Identities. University of Toronto Press, 2009.
It is an interesting book, which helps pilgrims to understand the art and architecture of some of the early churches in northern Spain and the Romanesque movement that they were part of. I found the photos and interpretation of Christian art and architecture in Aragon most interesting. I realize that this book interprets what pilgrims may see along the pilgrim routes, rather than focusing on pilgrimage, but it may be of interest to some.

My first book was 'Pray for me in Santiago' by Theresa Burkhardt-Felder. I heard her speaking on ABC radio and rushed out to buy it. Still have it and must reread it .

The only thing I can think of is you may have tried it without logging in. I doubt that since you just posted. I would send a note to one of the moderators or Ivar to ask what the problem is.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi David. When I clink on the link above, I don't see any document.

I've added the link to the resource description, so if the download button isn't getting you there, clicking on the link should. :)

I've also updated it with the latest suggestions.

Hi David,
Could I ask you to add one more book of mine to your Bibliography? I've just published Sauntering the Spiritual Variant of the Camino de Santiago (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0997941596/?tag=casaivar02-20). I believe it's the only full length book about the Spiritual Variant, other than Roy Uprichard's excellent Stone and Water: Walking the Spiritual Variant of the Camino Portugues.

What a great list! Here's an addition. Note that it is a memoir of three pilgrimages - the Camino Francés, the Shikoku 88 trail in Japan, and the annual Hasidic gathering in Uman, Ukraine.

A Sense of Direction: Pilgrimage for the Restless and the Hopeful
Lewis-Kraus, Gideon
Publisher: Riverhead Books
ISBN 1594487251
Non-fiction
Memoir

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi David,
Could I ask you to add one more book of mine to your Bibliography? I've just published Sauntering the Spiritual Variant of the Camino de Santiago (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0997941596/?tag=casaivar02-20). I believe it's the only full length book about the Spiritual Variant, other than Roy Uprichard's excellent Stone and Water: Walking the Spiritual Variant of the Camino Portugues.
Done. I should alert you that something may be wrong with the Amazon.com listing for this book. Every time I tried to load or re-load it, I got an error message telling me to try again. It was fine on the other Amazon sites, so I used the information from the Amazon.ca listing for the entry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Done. I should alert you that something may be wrong with the Amazon.com listing for this book. Every time I tried to load or re-load it, I got an error message telling me to try again. It was fine on the other Amazon sites, so I used the information from the Amazon.ca listing for the entry.
Thanks for taking the trouble to do that, David. As for the error message, I'm at a loss. Gremlins of the Internet, I guess.

What an amazing list! I thought I read A LOT of Camino books...but it looks like I have a whole new list to pull new titles from!

If you include fiction, I had one published in Oct 2021 by Duet Books, the young adult imprint of Interlude Press. The title is THE CAMINO CLUB. (-:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What an amazing list! I thought I read A LOT of Camino books...but it looks like I have a whole new list to pull new titles from!

If you include fiction, I had one published in Oct 2021 by Duet Books, the young adult imprint of Interlude Press. The title is THE CAMINO CLUB. (-:
Added.

A few more books that I have read (by an Australian author):

Braun, Noel//The Day Was Made for Walking/Sid Harta Publishers Pty Ltd//2013/978-1922086471/Non-fiction/Memoir/Le Puy to St Jean; St Jean to Santiago de Compostela and on to Finisterre

Braun, Noel//I Guess I’ll Just Keep on Walking/Sid Harta Publishers Pty Ltd//2017/978-1921030680/Non-fiction/Memoir/Arles to Le Puy; Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela

Braun, Noel//Keep Pressing On, Brother/Sid Harta Publishers Pty Ltd//2020/978-1925707267/Non-fiction/Memoir/Vézelay to St Jean; Geneva to Le Puy/

plus (and there would be more of these to other routes):

Clouteau, Lauriane and Jacques Clouteau//Miam Miam Dodo – Le Chemin de Saint Jacques de Compostelle – La Voie du Puy/Les éditions du Vieux Crayon///978-2916446295/Guide Book/Travel/Ongoing series of guidebooks

A few more books that I have read (by an Australian author):

Braun, Noel//The Day Was Made for Walking/Sid Harta Publishers Pty Ltd//2013/978-1922086471/Non-fiction/Memoir/Le Puy to St Jean; St Jean to Santiago de Compostela and on to Finisterre

Braun, Noel//I Guess I’ll Just Keep on Walking/Sid Harta Publishers Pty Ltd//2017/978-1921030680/Non-fiction/Memoir/Arles to Le Puy; Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela

Braun, Noel//Keep Pressing On, Brother/Sid Harta Publishers Pty Ltd//2020/978-1925707267/Non-fiction/Memoir/Vézelay to St Jean; Geneva to Le Puy/

plus (and there would be more of these to other routes):

Clouteau, Lauriane and Jacques Clouteau//Miam Miam Dodo – Le Chemin de Saint Jacques de Compostelle – La Voie du Puy/Les éditions du Vieux Crayon///978-2916446295/Guide Book/Travel/Ongoing series of guidebooks
And yet two more - the first by another Australian:

Wilke, Mary E//Walking to Santiago – A Diary of a Pilgrimage/Cranleigh House//978-1411613140/Non-fiction/Memoir/Paris to Santiago de Compostela

Townsend, Harry//The Slowest Pilgrim/Dreamtime Publications//2006/978-0955439605/Non-fiction/Memoir/St Jean to Santiago de Compostela

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi David,

Thank you for this!

I’d love to have two of my books listed. One is there already (thanks!), in the 1st edition, and it now has a 2nd edition, the Moon Camino de Santiago guide to the Camino Francés and Caminos de Finisterre and Muxia. The current, 2nd edition was published in 2022 by Moon/Avalon/Hachette.

The other book is The Way of the Wild Goose—Three Pilgrimages Following Geese, Stars, and Hunches on the Camino de Santiago, published in 2022 by Monkfish Book Publishing.

Thank you!!
Beebe

Hi David,

Thank you for this!

I’d love to have two of my books listed. One is there already (thanks!), in the 1st edition, and it now has a 2nd edition, the Moon Camino de Santiago guide to the Camino Francés and Caminos de Finisterre and Muxia. The current, 2nd edition was published in 2022 by Moon/Avalon/Hachette.

The other book is The Way of the Wild Goose—Three Pilgrimages Following Geese, Stars, and Hunches on the Camino de Santiago, published in 2022 by Monkfish Book Publishing.

Thank you!!
Beebe
Will add as soon as I return from my Camino (easier done on a desktop than a phone).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.