• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Blog Question

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

In 2013 when I first walked a Camino route I created a Blog and have had great fun on my various Camino walks posting updates at the end of the day. Over time a massive following;) (~100 or so people) have subscribed and receive an email whenever I post.

Recently Feedburner (which is used by Blogger to send daily posting emails) has indicated that they are terminating their email delivery option. So...I started researching and quickly found MailChimp which appears to be perfect for my little audience except for one troubling aspect...

My full mailing address must appear (Anti Spam legislation) with every posting email sent. Given this is a travel blog I am uncomfortable (my spouse more so) in making address information known while I am away walking. This isn't a concern for the people who are currently subscribers but what about anyone else who stumbles on my blog.

I believe there is a way for individuals to follow specific blogs...when I Googled this I think an 8 step process is required. I would expect to lose about 95 - 99% of my loyal followers if this is the way to go. :)

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Guy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

In 2013 when I first walked a Camino route I created a Blog and have had great fun on my various Camino walks posting updates at the end of the day. Over time a massive following;) (~100 or so people) have subscribed and receive an email whenever I post.

Recently Feedburner (which is used by Blogger to send daily posting emails) has indicated that they are terminating their email delivery option. So...I started researching and quickly found MailChimp which appears to be perfect for my little audience except for one troubling aspect...

My full mailing address must appear (Anti Spam legislation) with every posting email sent. Given this is a travel blog I am uncomfortable (my spouse more so) in making address information known while I am away walking. This isn't a concern for the people who are currently subscribers but what about anyone else who stumbles on my blog.

I believe there is a way for individuals to follow specific blogs...when I Googled this I think an 8 step process is required. I would expect to lose about 95 - 99% of my loyal followers if this is the way to go. :)

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Guy
Set up a separate email account just for the blog and mailing list.

The intraweb offers almost infinite opportunities of existence. I’ve lost track of most of my personas let alone mailbox passwords. (I used to write them down but my pencil got hacked). I guess your choice is do you want to put yourself out there on the web or not 😟

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Guy
I occasionally use mail chimp, so I think understand your question better. What they require is your actual street address. I and others that I know, just put my town and state/province/country/ , and skip the street address. Or just make something up. I don't think anyone actually polices this, which is unlikely to happen if you are not doing anything that gets complaints. And all you are doing is sending emails to people who opt in. The address just appears in small letters at the bottom of the email.

Another option is to switch to wordpress.com, (which is what I use) which has it's own system to send emails when you make a post. You can probably migrate your current blog and mailing list somehow, but I'm sure it is alot of work.. Heres a link to look into:

Set up a separate email account just for the blog and mailing list.
Thanks Trecile...If I understand your suggestion it would be to set up a Grouping of email addresses (current subscribers). When I post on my Blog I would then send out a separate email to the Grouping letting them know that a new Blog post has been created.

Simple...an extra small step and resolves my address issue. I would like to have subscribers keep the current unsubscribe option though. It's easy to not read emails and junk them however annoying to keep receiving them. I suppose they could simply block mine in no longer interested.

Appreciate your thoughts

Guy

Thanks Trecile...If I understand your suggestion it would be to set up a Grouping of email addresses (current subscribers). When I post on my Blog I would then send out a separate email to the Grouping letting them know that a new Blog post has been created.

Simple...an extra small step and resolves my address issue. I would like to have subscribers keep the current unsubscribe option though. It's easy to not read emails and junk them however annoying to keep receiving them. I suppose they could simply block mine in no longer interested.

Appreciate your thoughts

Guy
Oops, sorry I misunderstood the question!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The intraweb offers almost infinite opportunities of existence. I’ve lost track of most of my personas let alone mailbox passwords. (I used to write them down but my pencil got hacked). I guess your choice is do you want to put yourself out there on the web or not 😟
Quite ok with being out there on the Web however still want to mitigate any problems where I can...and my better half is more concerned about this than I am...so it's important!

Curiosity question...Tincatinker..."What are the references to DitchPig...seems like you have walked this beautiful route at least 5 times!!!" I am intrigued!

I occasionally use mail chimp, so I think understand your question better. What they require is your actual street address. I and others that I know, just put my town and state/province/country/ , and skip the street address. Or just make something up. I don't think anyone actually polices this, which is unlikely to happen if you are not doing anything that gets complaints. And all you are doing is sending emails to people who opt in. The address just appears in small letters at the bottom of the email.

Another option is to switch to wordpress.com, (which is what I use) which has it's own system to send emails when you make a post. You can probably migrate your current blog and mailing list somehow, but I'm sure it is alot of work.. Heres a link to look into:

Thanks...I am definitely going to try this...If I can skip the street address I am off to the races. I certainly thought of simply making stuff up however my Canadian upbringing is really causing me palpitations :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks...I am definitely going to try this...If I can skip the street address I am off to the races. I certainly thought of simply making stuff up however my Canadian upbringing is really causing me palpitations :)
Hmm...Mail Chimp requires a street address...a moral dilemma on creating a fictitious one 😇

This is maybe not what you are interested in hearing about, but I remember the year I could no longer use my beloved blogspot. I was on Day 1 of the Camino Baztán and it just wouldn’t work. A forum member I was walking with suggested I try Find Penguins. It’s easy, allows you to post pictures, and doesn’t require any identification. Since then, that’s what i’ve used and my family likes it a lot.

Instead of you sending them a group email, they can each “follow” you and will receive a notice when you post. You can see what it looks like here —

I had no idea about Mail Chimp needed a physical address. I am a chapter coordinator for American Pilgrims on the Camino and we use Mail Chimp for our newsletters. My former co-coordinator set up the account and used her address - where she no longer lives!

I just changed the old information. There are several layers to Mail Chimp - finding all the places that I needed to make changes wasn't that straightforward. (Kind of like the entire Mail Chimp platform)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Quite ok with being out there on the Web however still want to mitigate any problems where I can...and my better half is more concerned about this than I am...so it's important!

Curiosity question...Tincatinker..."What are the references to DitchPig...seems like you have walked this beautiful route at least 5 times!!!" I am intrigued!
The Ditch Pigs are an honourable association of Pilgrims who periodically spend time cleaning up the stuff that other pilgrims forgot to. See https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-are-the-ditch-pigs-this-year.65514/ and others

@GuyA like @peregrina2000 I am also a fan of FindPenguins. It can be configured several different ways too - mine is public, so anyone can read it, but you can make it private if you wish, so that only people who you allow to "follow" can see what it there. No email address or private information needs to be shared.

What I really love about it, is the ease with which one can create a hard cover book at the end.

This is maybe not what you are interested in hearing about, but I remember the year I could no longer use my beloved blogspot. I was on Day 1 of the Camino Baztán and it just wouldn’t work. A forum member I was walking with suggested I try Find Penguins. It’s easy, allows you to post pictures, and doesn’t require any identification. Since then, that’s what i’ve used and my family likes it a lot.

Instead of you sending them a group email, they can each “follow” you and will receive a notice when you post. You can see what it looks like here —

Thanks I will look into this for sure…your blog looks great! A concern is does Find Penguins have any kind of import functionality for an existing blog…pictures, past posts, comments received?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@GuyA like @peregrina2000 I am also a fan of FindPenguins. It can be configured several different ways too - mine is public, so anyone can read it, but you can make it private if you wish, so that only people who you allow to "follow" can see what it there. No email address or private information needs to be shared.

What I really love about it, is the ease with which one can create a hard cover book at the end.
Thanks…recently published 3 books from my blog through PixxiBooks. Would have been great to have had this option!

Giy

@GuyA - I too occasionally use Mailchimp, and there's no real need to put a private street/home address in it. As well as @Stephan the Painter's suggestions you could also use a postal address.

But that said, Mailchimp is somewhat more of a business tool. Have a look at Wordpress as someone else mentioned, or perhaps Wix. I find Wordpress a bit clunky to set up, but once you've done so it's easy to use off either phone or computer.

Good luck ...

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back