• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Blogs - Nice Layouts?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi All,

I'd love some layout and design tips/feedback.

I set up a site with a blog for my first Camino in 2015.
Thinking it would be a one off! :D:D:D ROFL...........
Yea right. Like trying 'crack' just once :eek:

The site was really intended to be mainly for family and friends to track where I was and how I was going.
Though in reality, I found the process really great from a personal perspective as it became my online journal, and 'talking to camera' was like sharing things with a buddy.....

Anyway. I have 2 separate blogs on there now for 2015 and 2016.
I'm looking to fit in a new one for 2018. A new tab.

For anyone interested in web design or blogs, how would you do it?
Just add another tab for the 2018 year?

As I'm walking I tend to have the latest/most recent post at the top.
Then once I finish I change the sequence to the first post at the top.
It makes following the sequence easier, rather than trying to read 'backwards'. (from the bottom of the page up like many blogs)

Again the blog will be mainly for family and friends, though others seem to enjoy reading the daily updates too which is nice. There always seems to be a positive and supportive comment just at the right time :)

Any thoughts or tips on how to layout a site with multiple blogs (one for each Camino) would be most welcome,

http://robscamino.com/

Can't wait for 25th April when we start up the hill :D:D:D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I read various Camino blogs it is very frustrating to start out at the END of their journey and work backwards, or if you want to start at the beginning, you often must scroll backwards semingly forever. It is often such a nuscience and takes a lot of time.

How nice of you Robo, to change the sequence. I wish others would think to do that, too!

When I read various Camino blogs it is very frustrating to start out at the END of their journey and work backwards, or if you want to start at the beginning, you often must scroll backwards semingly forever. It is often such a nuscience and takes a lot of time.

How nice of you Robo, to change the sequence. I wish others would think to do that, too!

I find it hard to read a book that has page 1 at the back!! :oops::oops:
So I tend to give up fairly fast.

Must be due to my ADD ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take a look at my blog. I designed it to be as user-friendly as possible. It takes a bit more effort, but is definitely worth it. I make a separate 'page' for each camino where I add a link to each day's stage as I write it. I also have a tab with a drop box listing each of my caminos. I think simple and logical navigation is the key to a user-friendly blog. I also started writing my blog as a journal and for family and a few friends to follow my progress. I have now had over 600,000 views and a great deal of interaction with readers. It really is a labour of love!
https://magwood.me

Last edited:
Take a look at my blog. I designed it to be as user-friendly as possible. It takes a bit more effort, but is definitely worth the it. I make a separate 'page' for each camino where I add a link to each day's stage as I write it. I also have a tab with a drop box listing each of my caminos. I think simple and logical navigation is the key to a user-friendly blog. I also started writing my blog as a journal and for family and a few friends to follow my progress. I have now had over 600,000 views and a great deal of interaction with readers. It really is a labour of love!

Hmm. Nice layout and easy to navigate. :)

Keep it simple! Don't add special effects, background music or anything else likely to annoy or distract repeat visitors. White background + clear black font, please. Use a maximum of three font sizes. The layout of every page should look and feel like every other page so find out and use templates - takes time to start with but saves time in the long run. Use only one level for any menu.

And back everything up!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take a look at my blog. I designed it to be as user-friendly as possible. It takes a bit more effort, but is definitely worth the it. I make a separate 'page' for each camino where I add a link to each day's stage as I write it. I also have a tab with a drop box listing each of my caminos. I think simple and logical navigation is the key to a user-friendly blog. I also started writing my blog as a journal and for family and a few friends to follow my progress. I have now had over 600,000 views and a great deal of interaction with readers. It really is a labour of love!
Magwood's blogs are excellent - thank you for them, and I highly recommend them all :)

Feel free to look at mine, which is quite simple. The address is in my signature. I think one can choose to reverse the chrono order with Wordpress, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
We use 'blogger' which we find easy to use and it can be reversed. There are also several layout and personalisation choices as well as the 'wysiwyg' mode or 'html' mode for those who understand how to write in this.
Basically we have started a new blog under the same account for each major Camino we have walked while keeping a running one for other walking and returns to the Camino not ending in Santiago.
Addresses in my signature

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for sharing your blogs and suggestions everyone. I'm taking a leap to add mine. (It's scary being an introvert!) I'd love to be able to reverse the order but the Wix program I'm using doesn't have that feature (I agree this would be much better for readers)

Robo: I've appreciated your video blogs too. I found them very calming as I am unusually nervous about my upcoming first Camino (just over 4 weeks now). Thank-you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back