• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Blues

innedevos

Hey everyone!

We (me and my boyfriend) started our Camino last year on the first of June, and arrived in Santiago a month later. So now here we are, almost a year later, and sometimes I still get a bad case of the Camino Blues. Then I start to look at pictures from our journey, I browse this forum, so jealous of all the "newbies" asking for advice and tips, wishing I was leaving with them. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing. I know it's normal to feel this way, but is it normal to have such strong emotions almost a year later? And how do you cope? It's not like I'm depressed all the time, it's more like moments of melancholy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just check this forum, WE ARE ALL HERE.
This is what I and others do-we read your comments, we reply, we respond, we give advise, we share feelings. Why don't you join us?
oh yes, one more thing- do the French part now, from Le Puy.

innedevos,

Past pilgrims often have continuing strong emotions about their past caminos.

Re-entry for many of us is always difficult!.

Yet how fortunate it is that you were able to photograph your own journey! Reviewing your photos and personal memories shall always bring you the sweet sorrow of recollection.

Why not share some of your actual experiences and invaluable practical advice with future pilgrims by posting on this Forum and elsewhere? What equipment was a success and what never worked? Any albergues you particularly liked or found particularly bad? Why not add your opinions to the those found in this useful Camino Frances: Stages & albergues list begun by Ivar earlier this year? >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-frances/

Your posts and comments might help make future pilgrims' decisions easier. As you know such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; it also helps keep memories current for us experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Your feet may be resting but the Camino path never ceases,

Margaret Meredith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@innedevos

I guess we all do feel the same as you do. Some even for years, saving money and their leave days from work until next Camino. I would say we're Camino Junkies :? Euphoria on one side and melancholy on the other. I must agree with mspath about sharing, that's the Camino!

Ultreia! Wherever you are...

I spent my 59th birthday on the Camino, now I'm celebrating my 60th. Big celebration this weekend, lots of friends, much party. I'd rather be on the Camino again. No disrespect to my friends and family and i am looking forward to the party: good food, good wine, good friends, who could ask for more. Meanwhile I work and save, maybe next years birthday. . .

I know the feeling! And I only walked half of it last Fall..actually started in SJPP to Logrono and then bussed to Astorga and walked the rest. Time limitations! Transitioning back was really hard. I think I slipped into a mild depression. I'm planning my next Camino for May 2014 and am doing the whole 790k and will see my 72nd birthday along the way. After that, there's West Highland in Scotland (ancestral walk for me). However, the Camino .. just can't explain it to anyone who has not been there. They just look at me like I've taken leave of my senses and by now they are rolling their eyes. So, I don't talk about it much. I really appreciated this forum for that very reason...you all understand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We only walked from Astorga....and at the end of last year......what is making it easier is planning to walk again!

Hi innedevos,
I would be surprised if you didn't feel that way!
We plan, ask questions, offer advice, share experiences and then walk. We then return home and start the process all over again :wink: !!!

The first year I started on the Camino I came home and got the Camino Blues really, really bad. I had never, ever experienced something like that. The only thing that helped was to start planning the return. I am leaving on Thursday to walk from Logroño and the joy and anticipation I am currently feeling is also unequalled.

The best part about it is that it has motivated me to stay fit, eat healthy, and stop spending on crap so that I can afford to go on the Camino every year. Turning the Camino Blues into a win-win situation has been another example to me that the Camino always provides. :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
pattymo97206 said:
I know the feeling! And I only walked half of it last Fall..actually started in SJPP to Logrono and then bussed to Astorga and walked the rest. Time limitations! Transitioning back was really hard. I think I slipped into a mild depression. I'm planning my next Camino for May 2014 and am doing the whole 790k and will see my 72nd birthday along the way. After that, there's West Highland in Scotland (ancestral walk for me). However, the Camino .. just can't explain it to anyone who has not been there. They just look at me like I've taken leave of my senses and by now they are rolling their eyes. So, I don't talk about it much. I really appreciated this forum for that very reason...you all understand.

Patty you are an inspiration. I'm 63 and sitting having a glass of red by the Rhone before my train to Le Puy tomorrow, walking to Astorga and maybe even Santiago. Also want to do the Highland Way and who knows we may meet up there as I plan to spend the rest of my years on foot. Good on you as we say on Australia. X

pattymo97206 said:

Hi Patty, I did the W.H.W. in 2010 to mark my 50th and repeated it the following year so if you ever want chat about your plans for it, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Regards

Seamus

http://supersullivan.wordpress.com/2013 ... ng-stroll/

angelafinnigan said:
pattymo97206 said:

Patty you are an inspiration. I'm 63 and sitting having a glass of red by the Rhone before my train to Le Puy tomorrow, walking to Astorga and maybe even Santiago. Also want to do the Highland Way and who knows we may meet up there as I plan to spend the rest of my years on foot. Good on you as we say on Australia. X

Angela..I hope your Camino is going well and that you can make it to Santiago. I'm eleven months and ten days from starting my Camino in May 2014...but whose counting :). Ultreia and Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
supersullivan said:
pattymo97206 said:

Hi Patty, I did the W.H.W. in 2010 to mark my 50th and repeated it the following year so if you ever want chat about your plans for it, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Regards

Seamus

http://supersullivan.wordpress.com/2013 ... ng-stroll/

Hi Seamus,
I will definitely take you up on your offer. I'm thinking I'll do the West Highland in 2015 (god willing and the creek don't rise). I need to investigate how to send a private email from this forum :)

Looking forward to "chatting" with you.

Patty

Can you search out other pilgrims or pilgrims-to-be in your community?

Almost two years ago, I did a Google search of "Camino de Santiago Houston" (my hometown). I found two people who had blogs or had posted picture. Soon after that I was walking my dogs while wearing a Camino T-Shirt. Some neighbors I had never met, approached me and said "we've walked the Camino".

Then I reached out to the American Pilgrims on the Camino website. They were very helpful in sending an invitation to our initial event to everyone with a Houston zip code who had received a credential from the organization.

We had our first meeting at our home in November 2011. We had about 12 people attend. Now we have over 100 people on our mailing list and have quarterly events like hikes, pot lucks and happy hours. All very fun and very few 'rules'. A few weeks ago we did an 8 mile hike in the Sam Houston National Forest. It's great to get out walking again.

It's great being able to connect with fellow pilgrims at home. I've met some wonderful people and made some new friends.

Let me know if I can do anything to help.

I totally agree with jstys.
The pilgrimage in NYC started as a Meetup.com group with a few of us newbies wanting to gather with others and do training hikes around the city every Saturday. Within days we had dozens of sign ups and our weekly walks are attended by 5 to 16 past and future pilgrims.
We have even become a chapter of APOC.
Camino blues? Reach out and touch someone! You'll be amazed at how many people want to do it or have done it.
Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How funny that you mention the 'Camino Blues,' since I was checking the forum for the very same reason! It's almost a year since I walked, and just this past week the 'Camino Blues' have come on strong. Pictures and forum browsing help a bit, but still when I wake up I find myself wishing I was strapping on my boots and hitting the trail... Hopefully next year I'll be back walking, I fear it's the only cure.

Damian27 said:
I totally agree with jstys.
The pilgrimage in NYC started as a Meetup.com group with a few of us newbies wanting to gather with others and do training hikes around the city every Saturday. Within days we had dozens of sign ups and our weekly walks are attended by 5 to 16 past and future pilgrims.
We have even become a chapter of APOC.
Camino blues? Reach out and touch someone! You'll be amazed at how many people want to do it or have done it.
Ultreia!

We have quite a large group of pilgrims in the Portlandia chapter of the APOC. I love it because it gives a lot of support to those wanting to do the pilgrimage, planning their pilgrimage, as they do their pilgrimage. We have monthly walks, quarterly potlucks and "shell ceremonies" for those heading out and request it.. We even have our own Camino patch.

This forum and the Portlandia chapter helps with the Camino Blues. My family and friends are very supportive of me, and even though they are, they really don't understand.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
SUCH an interesting thread! I came to it expecting a totally different type of "camino blues" being talked about. Carol and I did our Camino April-May of 2013 and experienced "camino blues" of a totally different "variety". For us, the tyranny of distance, being parted from our loved ones SO far away here in Australia, coupled with the stresses of daily life on "The Way" gave us solid doses of "Camino blues", when the ONLY thing keeping us going and sane was the knowledge that we were "walking a wee bit further on our way home" That we were able to grit our teeth and get up and do it every day is something I will always value.
Walking the Camino has been a valuable life experience and one which has totally reinforced my belief that there is nothing to compare with the love of family and home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.