• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Books on Kindle Unlimited (US)

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
One of the pleasant surprises about buying a new Kindle recently is the free three month Kindle Unlimited membership that came with my new device.

I'd been aware of Kindle Unlimited previously, but since it didn't seem to include many titles I was interested in I never thought that the monthly subscription cost was worth it. But my current free trial has fortuitously coincided with my initial preparations to walk my first Camino next year ... and thus I encountered another unanticipated pleasant surprise.

There are dozens - perhaps scores! - of Camino-related titles in the Kindle Unlimited library. Most (all?) of them seem to be self-published memoirs and guidebooks, and presumably many (all?) of the authors responsible for them are present on these forums. They're all of varying degrees of quality. But I'll withhold critical analysis except to say that I've truly gained some bit of insight, wisdom, practical knowledge, or at least a chuckle from each one.

To date, and in alphabetical order, these are the ones I've read so far:
  • Scott Bell, "One Pilgrim's Tips, Tricks, Advice, Stories and Insights for the Next Pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago"
  • Ann Born, "Buen Camino! Tips from an American Pilgrim"
  • Bradley Chermside, "The Only Way is West"
  • Patrick Devaney, "Two Million Steps: Band-Aids, Cocktails, and Finding Peace along Spain's Camino de Santiago"
  • Keith Foskett, "The Journey in Between: A Thru-Hiking Adventure on El Camino de Santiago"
  • Tex Lang, "Camino de Santiago Journey 2019"
  • C.W. Lockhart, "Blanket of Stars: Thru-Hiking the Camino de Santiago"
  • Paul McGranaghan, "Ego Trip: 40 Days and 40 Nights on the Camino de Santiago"
  • Connor O'Donoghue, "Overweight, undertrained and terrified: A Camino Diary"
  • Mark O'Sullivan, "Camino Ready. Backpacks, Boots & (no) Blisters"
  • Gabriel Schirm, "Sunrises to Santiago: Searching for Purpose on the Camino de Santiago"
  • Reginald Spittle, "Camino Sunrise-Walking With My Shadows"
  • Maureen Sullivan, "The Whole Sole Guide to Walking the Camino de Santiago"
  • S. Yates, "Pilgrim Tips & Packing List Camino de Santiago"
At this point I feel like I should make the most of the remaining two months of my membership and keep reading as many Camino books as I can.

So I suppose the purpose of this post - aside from sharing with those who aren't already aware the fact that a Kindle Unlimited membership, paid or trial, is a great source of Camino reading material - is twofold:

1. What are some other books about the Camino (specifically, or at least preferably ones available via Kindle Unlimited) that you've especially enjoyed reading?

2. If you've written your own Camino book and it's available on Kindle Unlimited, please share it here so I can add it to my reading list.

Thanks to everyone who's shared their stories! Looking forward to reading more of them!

(Edit: My Kindle Unlimited membership includes titles available in the U.S. library. Due to the Byzantine nature of international rights management I assume that not all titles are available everywhere.)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of the pleasant surprises about buying a new Kindle recently is the free three month Kindle Unlimited membership that came with my new device.

I'd been aware of Kindle Unlimited previously, but since it didn't seem to include many titles I was interested in I never thought that the monthly subscription cost was worth it. But my current free trial has fortuitously coincided with my initial preparations to walk my first Camino next year ... and thus I encountered another unanticipated pleasant surprise.

There are dozens - perhaps scores! - of Camino-related titles in the Kindle Unlimited library. Most (all?) of them seem to be self-published memoirs and guidebooks, and presumably many (all?) of the authors responsible for them are present on these forums. They're all of varying degrees of quality. But I'll withhold critical analysis except to say that I've truly gained some bit of insight, wisdom, practical knowledge, or at least a chuckle from each one.

• Scott Bell, "One Pilgrim's Tips, Tricks, Advice, Stories and Insights for the Next Pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago"
  • Patrick Devaney, "Two Million Steps: Band-Aids, Cocktails, and Finding Peace along Spain's Camino de Santiago"
  • Keith Foskett, "The Journey in Between: A Thru-Hiking Adventure on El Camino de Santiago"
  • Gabriel Schirm, "Sunrises to Santiago: Searching for Purpose on the Camino de Santiago"
At this point I feel like I should make the most of the remaining two months of my membership and keep reading as many Camino books as I can.

So I suppose the purpose of this post - aside from sharing with those who aren't already aware the fact that a Kindle Unlimited membership, paid or trial, is a great source of Camino reading material - is twofold:

1. What are some other books about the Camino (specifically, or at least preferably ones available via Kindle Unlimited) that you've especially enjoyed reading?

2. If you've written your own Camino book and it's available on Kindle Unlimited, please share it here so I can add it to my reading list.

Thanks to everyone who's shared their stories! Looking forward to reading more of them!

(Edit: My Kindle Unlimited membership includes titles available in the U.S. library. Due to the Byzantine nature of international rights management I assume that not all titles are available everywhere.)
Congratulations on so much research. You sound like you are indanger of becoming what I and many others had become. Addicted.
I to have a book about to be published on Amazon and Kindle. in the next few weeks hope fully before Christmas. If you wish to read it when it comes out you will find it edgy and confronting.
It covers my first walk on my own. Then my second walk with a film crew eight months later and the anouther eight months later my third walk with my eldest daughter. I hope you and any one will get some thing from the book.
The Title is ( God's Cocaine. The addiction of the Camino)

Attachments

• 20191114_145804.jpg
    20191114_145804.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 32
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Title is ( God's Cocaine. The addiction of the Camino)

That's certainly the most provocative title I've come across so far! Putting it on my list for sure :)

And yes, I'm aware of the dangers of being overprepared through so much pre-Camino reading and research. I tend to throw myself into new hobbies and interests wholeheartedly, especially at the outset - and the Camino is certainly a subject that seems to lend itself to that kind of attachment/addiction, as your own title illustrates.

But I'm nothing if not self-aware in general - and part of that self-awareness is (hopefully) recognizing the fact that I'm going to have to accept whatever comes my way once I start walking, rather than believing that I'm going to be 100% prepared for every possibility I encounter.

Expecting the unexpected is very much what attracts me to this endeavor. If reading all these accounts has taught me anything, it's that everyone's Camino is different. I look forward to experiencing that for myself next year.

Thankyou for the support for the title. You have a great attitude. Leave your self open for everything and anything and you will be rewarded. I spoke at more than twenty theaters in New Zealand after the film and was always asked how much training do you need to do? The answer is. If you do all the training you could possibly do you will hurt for seven days then you will come right. However if you do no training at all. You will hurt for seven days and then you will come right.:D:eek:. The Camino is a very special place both physically, mentally and spiritually.
All you will need to take with you is COMMITMENT.
Good luck and God bless.

"Portuguese Camino-In Search of the Infinite Moment" on Kindle!

5.0 out of 5 stars
High literary quality, a delight to read
December 11, 2018
Format: Kindle Verified Purchase

Travel memoirs are my favorite reading nowadays, and when I read this I hit the jackpot. There are detailed descriptions of great meals and other tourist stuff, interspersed with memories of the personal struggles that motivated the author to make the pilgrimage. This book is one of the best of the genre because the author is intelligent and real, in addition to being a terrific writer. It was a plus for me that the author is a lapsed rather than practicing Catholic. More accessible to me as an agnostic.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you've written your own Camino book and it's available on Kindle Unlimited, please share it here so I can add it to my reading list.
Hi SenorJacques,
My book, Sauntering to Santiago: The Camino de Santiago for Slow Walkers, is available on Kindle Unlimited and I hope you'll consider it for your list. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RHQX2PX/?tag=casaivar02-20
This book is principally targeted at newbie peregrinos who might worry that they don't possess the physical conditioning to do the Camino. Well, we did the Coastal Portuguese in 2018 at age 65 for me, late 50s for her, and despite back issues for me and diabetes, asthma and high blood pressure for her. We also had no previous experience with extended long walks. So, it's definitely doable if you plan through the issues and proceed in a manner that makes the best sense for you.
Thanks.

Mine is fairly new, but I'd love it if you would review it also. I don't think it's in the Kindle Unlimited, however.
There's a link to Amazon at the bottom of this page. It is available in paperback worldwide and also in all formats of eBooks. Enjoy!
https://russeanes.com/book/

Attachments

• The Walk of a Lifetime frontcover lowrez.jpg
    The Walk of a Lifetime frontcover lowrez.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Cindy Arledge wrote "My Camino My Life - A sole to soul connection." Highly recommended and very honest view of her first Camino. You might want to consider reading it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's certainly the most provocative title I've come across so far! Putting it on my list for sure :)

And yes, I'm aware of the dangers of being overprepared through so much pre-Camino reading and research. I tend to throw myself into new hobbies and interests wholeheartedly, especially at the outset - and the Camino is certainly a subject that seems to lend itself to that kind of attachment/addiction, as your own title illustrates.

But I'm nothing if not self-aware in general - and part of that self-awareness is (hopefully) recognizing the fact that I'm going to have to accept whatever comes my way once I start walking, rather than believing that I'm going to be 100% prepared for every possibility I encounter.

Expecting the unexpected is very much what attracts me to this endeavor. If reading all these accounts has taught me anything, it's that everyone's Camino is different. I look forward to experiencing that for myself next year.
Hello again my book is now on kindle I hope you enjoy God bless.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I totally agree. Serendipity is what makes the Camino such a great experience for me.

I just saw this Book Club thread. I walked the Camino Portuguese alone in fall, 2018, at age 71, a year-and-a-half after having a hip replacement. My trip was to take 12 days. However, on my 3rd day of walking, I hurt my back which presented additional challenges that plagued me for the rest of my walk, and almost ended my adventure.

In 2020, I chronicled my experience in my book, Walk by My Side: A Solo Journey to Santiago on the Portuguese Camino.

Before my Camino and afterward, I found that there were very few personal accounts of the Camino Portugues. This book helps fill a need and hopefully give encouragement to those of us who are older or might be confronted by physical challenges.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.