• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Books

merrellj

Found a copy of Shirley MacLaine's The Camino in my unread paperback collection - certainly not to my taste after perusing a few pages - and Tim Moore's Spanish Steps (about doing the Frances accompanied by a donkey to transport all the luggage).

Happy to post them on to any interested (UK) readers on a first come, first served basis.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A new novel in Spanish:

Buen Camino!, The first novel about the Camino de Santiago in key personal development
On Tuesday, October 15, at 10:30 am, will be held at the Press Association of Madrid (Juan Bravo 6) press conference to launch the book Buen Camino! (Plataforma Editorial) by Jose Pedro Garcia, coach, entrepreneur, entrepreneur and founder of the University of the Good Life (UBV).

Buen Camino! was the first novel written by a Spanish Spain on the Camino de Santiago in key personal development and self-discovery. The book fills an important gap in the narrative on the Camino de Santiago in Spain, where until now there was no book that emerged became sales phenomenon with millions of readers, as in the case of Germany and France.

It is the first book of a collection of three volumes on which the author also taught courses at the University of the Good Life (UBV), a pioneering initiative in Spain to help people make the best of themselves and translate it into results effective personal and professional level.

The novel tells the story of a twenty-first century person like any of us, a small business owner, Marco Garcia Frei, passing along the Camino de Santiago. The protagonist is an entrepreneur, 40, divorced, living a life with little hope, very stressed in a high-pressure work environment where problems seem to multiply. His only reference is the work until one day he decides, without much conviction, do the Camino de Santiago to find himself. The book tells a story similar to that of many of the more than 190,000 people who have made El Camino in 2012, half Spanish.

This experience will change your life, mark a before and after in their existence and in the same reader, who will live the vicissitudes of the protagonist in his own name, fully identified with his character from the beginning.It's a very contemporary novel that sheds light on the darkness of the moment of crisis and uncertainty we live.

Buen Camino!includes situations daily living today: the crisis of values, loss of personal and professional compass, uncertainty, fear of change, job stress, lack of commitment and empathy .. .

The author turns this negative dynamic with positive messages that are woven into the plot of the novel, useful for everyone. Messages like "Live your life and that of others", "Always do what topics do", "Listen to yourself", "Change yourself first if you want to change the world", "Give thanks for what you are, not for what you have "transformed the book into a header indispensable handbook and reference. Provides answers and possible solutions to the daily challenges we face in our day to day, emphasizing who you are and internal resources each more than what you or the circumstances around you. It shows that the ability to respond to what happens within us, we who can change things and get other results, following Gandhi's maxim: "Be the change you want to see in the world".

As a psychologist, this Buen Camino! is of great interest to me. The Camino changed my life, but not in the way I though it would and in a much more subtle way than I expected. I am quite interested in the difference between what people are expecting to happen on the Camino and what does happen. One of the unexpected surprises for me was a lessened need for stuff, and a desire for more social experiences in my life. Another change is a greater appreciation of the small things: colorful flowers, the turn of a path, the sky (especially on the day we were at Cruz de Ferro!), the trees, a kind smile. Falcon mentions "the loss of an inner compass" above, I also feel that the Camino has tuned my inner compass.

I hope it is translated into English for those of us who are linguistically impaired. At my age language learning is a challenge. I spent 5 months before my Camino doing Rosetta Stone Spanish (with a little help from taking 2 years of Spanish in middle school and one in high school. Yet when I got to Spain, and tried to have a complicated conversation, Spanish came out mixed with Mandarin Chinese. :mad:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Shirley's book is truly awful. Tim Moore's is rather entertaining. Burn Camino sounds interesting :)

I'm currently writing my second book, working title El Camino. I hope it'll do what A Walk in the Woods did for the AT in my country but for the Camino.

Bill Bryson´s book "A Walk In The Woods" is a book I really enjoyed. I do wish you luck with yours.

Buen Camino!

Shirley's book is truly awful.

It really is, isn't it?
I have to admit to Shirley and her wacky book having a special place in my heart though. It was because of a late 1999 interview I caught with her and Oprah while channel surfing in a flu-ridden haze that I learned of the Camino at all. I read her book cover to cover in a day (focusing on the travalogue half, rather than the Atlantian/Lemurian new age half), and was on the Frances in Sept 2000. I only met one other United States-ian in my two months on that Camino - Indigo, my crazy hippie occasional companion (who was also there because of Shirley, but admittedly more because of the Atlantian/Lemurian new age half of the book :D)

I did meet tons of Brazilians, though, who were still coming in droves thanks to Paolo Cuelho.

I hope it'll do what A Walk in the Woods did for the AT in my country but for the Camino.

Love that book! My guy & I are going to hike the northern terminus from Mt. Katahdin through the 100 mile wilderness this summer. Just hope we have lighter packs and don't get as lost as Katz! We were inspired by - and hopefully learned something from - his misery! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
oops, double post!

As a travel writer myself can attest to Bryson's genius over Shirley's nonsense. She must have been making it up. Hape Kerkeling has a good book too!

I'm sure I'll do the rounds bugging people when mine comes out :)

As a travel writer myself can attest to Bryson's genius over Shirley's nonsense. She must have been making it up. Hape Kerkeling has a good book too!

I'm sure I'll do the rounds bugging people when mine comes out :)

Shirley's book is truly awful. Tim Moore's is rather entertaining. Burn Camino sounds interesting :)

I'm currently writing my second book, working title El Camino. I hope it'll do what A Walk in the Woods did for the AT in my country but for the Camino.
What a noble ambition. Unfortunately, not everyone who has reviewed your previous book thinks you are approaching the Bill Bryson end of the of the writing spectrum, eg

It was also interesting to see how in less than eight posts, a kind offer to share Shirley MacLaine's and Tim Moore's books has turned into a promotion for something you think might have the same effect. Shirley MacLaine's book has been acknowledged as a major influence on increasing the numbers of North Americans walking the Camino at the time it was published. Why bag out someone who has already achieved what you are proposing to do yourself?

Regards,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
True. Reading back it does seem like that. It looks really awkward actually. I'm writing from my mobile phone and just trying to add my thoughts wherever I am. Really looks like I'm trying to self-promote, which I didn't mean to do.

Regarding Shirley's book I really stand by my opinion, number of posts aside. I really didn't like it at all. Though of course it's all subjective.

I think I should revert back to writing on the computer where I can respond in a more considered and contemplative way. Sorry if I caused anyone offence!

But let's keep talking books :)

Found a copy of Shirley MacLaine's The Camino in my unread paperback collection - certainly not to my taste after perusing a few pages - and Tim Moore's Spanish Steps (about doing the Frances accompanied by a donkey to transport all the luggage).

Happy to post them on to any interested (UK) readers on a first come, first served basis.
Here's a link to an interesting read:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ROXT7Y/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.