A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino books

Maggie P.

Camino(s) past & future
1999, 2001, 2005, 2011, 2015
When I did my first Camino (in the last century!) it was a truly life-changing experience and I returned home full of the joys of Camino life. But back then I thought the Camino book market was over-crowded - by Paulo Coelho and Shirley Maclaine!!

These days I advise anyone who asks for reading/viewing recommendations to spend the time learning some Spanish. It will enrich their Camino far, far more than poring over the second-hand experiences of dozens of other people.

Here endeth today's lesson! Buen Camino!

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles et al (2018), Mozarabe and more (2019)
I agree with you about the value of attaining some proficiency in Spanish before you set off, but I see it as complementary to selective background reading. While I have no great enthusiasm for celebrity or self-promotional 'My Camino' accounts, I found that my journey along the ancient route was enhanced by having acquired some prior knowledge of the history, politics and culture of the region through which I was travelling. It's a courtesy to the host nation and a credit to oneself. Here endeth the second epistle to the followers of St James.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 253 25.0%