• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino buddy meets camino buddy in Cirauqui

peregrina2000

Staff member
What a great moment today to see that my camino walking buddy @Krimpa is staying in the Albergue of another good camino buddy @Juanma

it makes me feel like a camino matchmaker :p

And I was so happy to see that camino life is still thriving at the Albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui. My friend wanted to get off the “Brierley stages” and I told him this was a terrific way to do it.

Attachments

• 167CEAB1-C9BA-449A-A824-72E2E045BAEC.jpeg
    167CEAB1-C9BA-449A-A824-72E2E045BAEC.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 196
  • DA504CFE-5640-4556-A0A4-4940CDFAEC2B.jpeg
    DA504CFE-5640-4556-A0A4-4940CDFAEC2B.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 402B4B29-7C63-42B8-B450-D25D4F1A6432.jpeg
    402B4B29-7C63-42B8-B450-D25D4F1A6432.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 150
  • E0A792D5-4BF1-4C06-99AF-26D64AAC4904.jpeg
    E0A792D5-4BF1-4C06-99AF-26D64AAC4904.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 9AEC7E07-ABFE-4FF4-81EB-4BF685EB62ED.jpeg
    9AEC7E07-ABFE-4FF4-81EB-4BF685EB62ED.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 152
  • B485EE68-5174-4B42-BAFB-B8D6DA4F79CF.jpeg
    B485EE68-5174-4B42-BAFB-B8D6DA4F79CF.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 170
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a great moment today to see that my camino walking buddy @Krimpa is staying in the Albergue of another good camino buddy @Juanma

And I was so happy to see that camino life is still thriving at the Albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui. My friend wanted to get off the “Brierley stages” and I told him this was a terrific way to do it.
I look forward to staying there next week , cannot wait .

I stayed there in April 2017 with my two sons and daughter-in-law. It was a nice memory and they offered a tasty communal meal.
Screenshot_20210825-140053~2.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was definitely a great day for me as well Laurie: I met your buddy @Krimpa and had all in all a great little group of pilgrims! Days like today are what it's all about for me as a hospitalero!

After the dinner some of us enjoyed a wonderful sunset from right the doorstep of Maralotx's wine cellar:

_JMC1579-1_rebajada.jpg

_JMC1596-1_rebajada.jpg

_JMC1602-1_rebajada.jpg

Buen Camino to everyone! :)

We had a great stay in Albergue Maralotx in September, 2014 and we were looking forward to staying there again last year, all booked 😞but sadly COVID intervened. We are hopeful to be staying there again in 2022. It’s a lovely Albergue.
Thank you for all the photos, they bring back great memories.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for posting those splendid sunset photos which recall happy memories. I, too, stayed here autumn 2010 and 2011; the wine cellar was a great space for serving dinner.

I look forward to staying there next week , cannot wait .
@A Kerryman, where will you stay the night before? For my friend, it was a perfect day from Pamplona, since he likes to walk in the low 30s (It’s 31 from Pamplona to Cirauqui).

But I remember pre-covid that I was helping a forum member with her first Camino planning and she wanted shorter stages. So I thought that staying in Uterga (17 from Pamplona), adding the loop out to see the amazing church at Eunate, and then going through Puente la Reina and on to Cirauqui was another good 17 or 18 km day.

Looks like Cizur Menor is closed so that’s not an option now.

It can still be an option and actually I am receiving this year in Cirauqui so many pilgrims walking from Uterga or Muruzabal. It's some 17-18km from Pamplona's center to Uterga-Muruzabal, and then another 15-20km to Cirauqui, depending if you detour to Eunate or not.

BTW, until not long ago Eunate was only opening on weekend days, but I recently heard from a pilgrim that she had been able to visit it during the week, so it seems it's now opening again on a more regular basis. If I can I'll drive there one day and try and see the sign on the door with the current visiting days/times and inform here.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually, I remembered there's an official website with Eunate's information, so I checked it and this is what's written regarding August visiting times:

AGOSTO

LUNES Y MARTES: CERRADO
MIERCOLES a SABADO
Mañanas: De 10,00 a 14,00 horas
Tardes: De 16,00 a 20,00 horas
DOMINGO
Mañana: De 10,00 a 14,00 horas
Tarde: CERRADO

(so basically it's closed on Sunday afternoons and all of Monday and Tuesday)

For September it currently says:

SEPTIEMBRE​

PENDIENTE DE CONFIRMACIÓN

You can check this information yourselves any time at www.santamariadeeunate.com (available in English too).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@A Kerryman, where will you stay the night before? For my friend, it was a perfect day from Pamplona, since he likes to walk in the low 30s (It’s 31 from Pamplona to Cirauqui).

But I remember pre-covid that I was helping a forum member with her first Camino planning and she wanted shorter stages. So I thought that staying in Uterga (17 from Pamplona), adding the loop out to see the amazing church at Eunate, and then going through Puente la Reina and on to Cirauqui was another good 17 or 18 km day.

I am arriving in Pamplona by train from Madrid on September 2 and staying at Plaza Catedral . I have 8 days walking and hope to reach Burgos . I am stopping in places this time that I did stop in before so hopefully all will go well.

The albergue Maralotx looks just perfect for me. Great people small and what looks like a wonderful communal meal. What else does a pilgrim need. This is pilgrim heaven. I remember sleeping in Cizur Menor on my first camino at the Roncal Hostel. I met some wonderful people and I had a really fun dinner at a restaurant across from the hostel on the main road with big wooden tables and chairs. Victoria had like a mini foot hospital to take care of all the pilgrims who were already having blisters and problems. Luckily my feet were good but after everyone who needed care was finished she looked at my feet anyway and gave me some great advice. I hope her hostel can open again soon.
I remember that there were many albergues early on that brought in people to care for pilgrim's feet. I think they charged a nominal fee for the service. I haven't seen this in years. Wonder if albergues still do that when the Camino Frances is busy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don’t think that anyone who has walked to Eunate regrets the decision. Whether you’re religious or spiritual or none of the above the setting and the building itself are awesome.
Indeed.
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate

photo taken October 14, 2010

Eunate  2010..jpg

When walking on the Camino Argones
west from Enériz a curved branch framed a pastoral view of Eunate; weeping with joy I offered sincere thanks for my return.

In happier easier years I have spent the night often in the now closed albergue

Pilgrims have worshiped at Eunate for one thousand years. For me, as for those multitudes, this is close to paradise on earth.

May peace continue forever in this
timeless place

Last edited:
Stayed in Maralotx in 2009 … wonderful albergue!!
Different hospitalera, as I recall .. an amazing Basque woman …

We walked from Uterga, having strolled, sans pack and in sandals, to Eunate, just before sunset the previous evening …

… and can’t forget that cracked church bell … 😄

PS
That’s a wonderful photograph of Eunate, @mspath , thank you ❤️

Stayed in Maralotx in 2009 … wonderful albergue!!
Different hospitalera, as I recall .. an amazing Basque woman …
Good memory! Yes, @Juanma and family have only been there for a few years. They used to have the albergues in Ponte Ferreira on the Primitivo. I too stayed in Maralotx in the pre-Juanma days, back in 2003 or 2004 I think it was. It was a lovely albergue then and from all accounts, the new owners have carried on in the same vein.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed there in August 2019, having walked from Uterga via Eunate (where we arrived way too early for it to be open!). It is a great albergue with the cellar underneath and a wonderful town, however my abiding memory is of the church across the square from the albergue. The church bells chimed every 15 minutes all night long!!! We gave up and, with half a dozen others, left at 5:30am!

It can still be an option and actually I am receiving this year in Cirauqui so many pilgrims walking from Uterga or Muruzabal. It's some 17-18km from Pamplona's center to Uterga-Muruzabal, and then another 15-20km to Cirauqui, depending if you detour to Eunate or not.

BTW, until not long ago Eunate was only opening on weekend days, but I recently heard from a pilgrim that she had been able to visit it during the week, so it seems it's now opening again on a more regular basis. If I can I'll drive there one day and try and see the sign on the door with the current visiting days/times and inform here.
I so much enjoyed this post and all of the messages. Thank you for what you wrote Juanma. Espero que nos vemos la semana primera de octubre. I hope to walk from Pamplona to Muruzabal, then from Muruzabal to Ciraqui.

I couldn't find anything about a place to stay in Ciraqui but now I know your albergue is there. My name is James Anderson maybe I will see you the 2nd or 3rd of October.

I have a cool memory of Ciraqui. During July 2019 we left Puente la Reina in the dark at 0500, and when we got to Ciraqui the full moon was setting behind the village. It was an enchanting moment and I said to myself, "someday I need to come back and stay in this place"

Espero que nos conocemos al principio de octubre!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do envy all your photographs, fellow forum members … 🙂

When we walked, I carried a distinctly un-smart mobile and took only a few, extremely pixilated, photos.

… and now, I can’t find them …. they’re probably on an old floppy somewhere, gleaned from an old steam-machine that went, years ago, to the local tip!! (recycling centre 😉)

What a wonderful post! This early section of the Frances is so magical/mystical because we knew so little and were open to absorbing everything. A section where you can quit being someone from someplace and can become so much more.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back