• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Budget Planner - Feedback

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Between Caminos I've been working on my budget planner (as well as packing list and distance planner) As You do....:oops:

I'd welcome some feedback. Particularly:
  1. What I might have forgotten.
  2. Or the amounts I have budgeted for.
If you think it might be a useful resource, particularly for new Pilgrims I'm happy to refine it based on feedback and upload it. Though spreadsheets are not allowed. Have to think of a way to do that.

Here it is as a Work In Progress.

The exchange rate in this case is Aussie Dollars. And the particular Camino is VdlP.
I wanted to play with the % figures to see how much it would impact my budget.
So for example you can input 100% albergues, or whatever % you plan on.
The Hotel/CR amount might be too low, as larger towns will cost more.

It's interesting to see the overall % costs in the final column.

Anyway, interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great idea, @Robo!
Might just be my phone but, I got an error message.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do love a good spreadsheet, though while on Camino I like to let go a bit and not worry too much. The only glaring error I see is the lack of an erm....how can I put this- "recreational" beverage section. That takes up far more of my budget than I'd like to admit.

Obviously no spreadsheet can be perfect as prices change from place to place but this would be great for coming up with a ballpark figure.

Good work @Robo

Last edited:
I do love a good spreadsheet, though while on Camino I like to let go a bit and not worry too much. The only glaring error I see is the lack of an erm....how can I put this- "recreational" beverage section. That takes up far more of my budget than I'd like to admit.

Obviously no spreadsheet can be perfect as prices change from place to place but this would be great for coming up with a ballpark figure.

Good work @Robo

I totally agree on spreadsheets!
They are a fun distraction between Caminos only!
Once I'm packed and ready to go..........they go out the window! :p

With regard to the beverage section............

2 points.........

(1) I'm a wine drinker. A bottle (or half bottle) of wine a night with the Pilgrim menu is quite adequate for me ;)
(2) I have a different version of this planner for my own use. As I do enjoy a nice lodging now and again, a really good meal sometimes, and an upgraded wine the odd time :eek: So that all adds another e5-600 or so :oops:

But that the whole purpose of this planner.
If you want 150 e Hotels every night, you plug that in to the costs and put 0% Albergues :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It would make a great addition to the Resources section 👍

Tried that, but you can't upload spreadsheets. (security issue I think)
A pdf version wouldn't make any sense.......
You need to be able to download it and put in your own data.

I might add it to my Blog as a downloadable file, if there is no way of sharing as a downloadable file here.

I kept details on my 2015 pilgrimage and produced a spreadsheet for the interest of other folks trying to plan expenditure. I hope you may be able to see it - otherwise, drop me a message and an e-mail address! View attachment 60280

Very interesting. Particularly the accommodation costs....
I have to confess, once I'm 'under way' I don't track the costs, other than how many days have I still got to go, and how much money is left! So I have a daily budget in mind.

Where did you start and finish? We were on the trail at the same time :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Between Caminos I've been working on my budget planner (as well as packing list and distance planner) As You do....:oops:

If you think it might be a useful resource, particularly for new Pilgrims I'm happy to refine it based on feedback and upload it. Though spreadsheets are not allowed. Have to think of a way to do that.

The exchange rate in this case is Aussie Dollars. And the particular Camino is VdlP.

View attachment 60276

I just about choked on your total costs until I found out that you had bugeted for 56 days. Please proceed and disregard my concerns. :)

I might add it to my Blog as a downloadable file, if there is no way of sharing as a downloadable file here.

It'd be a bit of a pain but you could recreate it in Google Sheets and then share the link.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thought of that, but the value is being able to enter your own data.
If shared on Google sheets, it's a shared resource, not an individual one. :(

But people could just copy it to their own sheet and use it as a template. I'm pretty sure there's an option to share but not allow changes. It's not ideal but better than nothing.

But people could just copy it to their own sheet and use it as a template. I'm pretty sure there's an option to share but not allow changes. It's not ideal but better than nothing.

It's not a great result, but it works.
Here is the sheet.
I have added instructions on how to copy it across to your own sheet.
If this works OK, I'll add a version into the resources section, following any more feedback.
Please don't change any of the numbers on the original.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 60276

Over six Caminos and as many years, my overall average is €47, about the same as yours. While I spend different amounts in different categories, and use a slightly different methodology, we are both at the same result.

NOTE:
  1. I stay in commercial lodging (hostals or private albergues) to the maximum extent possible.
  2. Compared to your breakout, I typically spend more on lodging, but less on food & drink. Everything else is very similar.
  3. Now, after this experience, I simply use €50 per day for planning and saving ahead.
  4. When I am working as a volunteer in Santiago, I cut this to €30. I spend nil on housing, but more on eating / drinking and buying stuff to donate.
Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pilgrimage V was in 2015, along the Ebro delta from San Carlos to Logrono: of my eight caminos, I think this was my favourite - so peaceful.
How did you find the Camino Ebro - very hard finding information for doing that route I have found (only cycling routes). Any info that you have would be awesome.

I love how the short answer is about €50 per day.

Ok. I’m set.

😉

Many do it for less I think.
This is purely an example, but hopefully a fair 'ball park' assessment too.
At least the planner allows you to 'play around' with the main budget items and assess the impact.

Here's an example that is 100% albergues, snack DIY lunches, Pilgrim menus, use only tap water etc.
Just e30 per day.
It could probably go a bit lower too..........if you had to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the CF at least. My only Caminos so far. Mine is more like this :oops:
Probably why I don't lose weight!

On the VdlP example above (next one I hope) I would expect most nights in an Albergue and most lunches DIY, only because of reduced infrastructure.

It's fun to play around with it.........

How did you find the Camino Ebro - very hard finding information for doing that route I have found (only cycling routes). Any info that you have would be awesome.
I've just spent an hour trying to find the answer too your question - and failed!
I loved that camino, Tina-Marie, and would happily walk it again were I not so old! Have you checked out my web site? My diary for the camino lists daily stops and distances. https://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago
You can always message me, or send me an e-mail. I'll help in any way I can!
Buen camino!

Thank you Robin and Stephen for sharing this info. It is interesting to see the variables. My husband and I begin our CF next month and I will document everything as well. We are on a very tight budget and I'm guessing future pilgrims in the same position will wonder about just how low the budget can go. We hope to sleep in an albergue every third or fourth night and eat a pilgrim meal a couple times a week, otherwise we're sleeping outside and doing our own food. It will be a challenge but it's necessary. It's now or never!

Thank you Robin and Stephen for sharing this info. It is interesting to see the variables. My husband and I begin our CF next month and I will document everything as well. We are on a very tight budget and I'm guessing future pilgrims in the same position will wonder about just how low the budget can go. We hope to sleep in an albergue every third or fourth night and eat a pilgrim meal a couple times a week, otherwise we're sleeping outside and doing our own food. It will be a challenge but it's necessary. It's now or never!
I wish you the very best. I hope you have a contingency fund, somewhere. We always used the most basic accommodation, but not sleeping outside. Just be sure to have someone, somewhere, to help you if there is a problem. When we walked the Frances, and also on the Portugues, we walked along with some people who never bought a meal., I remember a young German couple who lived on 17 euro per day for the two of them, on the CP, but did they enjoy their final meal in Santiago in Casa Manolo! You bet. Buen camino.

Thank you for the well wishes. I appreciate it! Hopefully my husband's vehicle will sell before we leave. That would definitely ease things a bit, LOL. Either way, we will manage somehow. One day at a time.

I didn't see anything happen on my smartphone when you posted the docs.google.com link. But spreadsheet instructions are just text, right? If so then enter the source into a PDF and put that into the resources with instructions to copy the highlighted text and create a file with it.

I've just spent an hour trying to find the answer too your question - and failed!
I loved that camino, Tina-Marie, and would happily walk it again were I not so old! Have you checked out my web site? My diary for the camino lists daily stops and distances. https://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago
You can always message me, or send me an e-mail. I'll help in any way I can!
Buen camino!
I will check it out now - thank you so much. We are still trying to finalise how much time we will have (coming from Oz) and thus it will define our preferred routes. We also intend to do a very small amount of stealth camping (no fires don't worry) to test out gear for a long thru-hike of the PCT in the next year or so as well, so more remote hikes with fewer services will work well for us. We also take the "leave no trace" policy very seriously especially since we were both in the Air Force and it was ingrained into our heads.

Love that idea! I will definitely be visiting your blog (again) soon to download ! Thank you!

Love the detailed budget. My wife and I have done two CF and Portugués.

Bunks half time, rooms half time. Pilgrim meals a lot. both trips we spent just under 50 euros a day for two.

Rooms for one are same price as rooms for two...find a friend. :)

Where did you start and finish? We were on the trail at the same time :)
Sorry, Robo - only just seen this question. Started from Vinaros, thence to San Carlas de la Rapita on the Ebro Delta, then walked to Logrono. Beautiful peaceful camino. Full diary and photos on my web site.
Best wishes from grey East Anglia....

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.