• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino by bike in June/2017

Ana Claudia

Time of past OR future Camino
June(2017) by bike. SJPP to Santiago
Hy folks! My name is Ana Claudia.
My husband and I will travel from Brazil to France at the end of May to do the French Camino by bike .
It will be in commemoration of our 25 year wedding anniversary!
We elaborate a sequence of steps of 14 days and we would like to know if this route is feasible and if our mileage markings are correct.
Could someone help us?

DIA 1: 32 KM SJPP – RONCESVALLES – ESPINAL

DIA 2: 64 KM ESPINAL – ZUBIRI – PAMPLONA – PUENTE DE LA REINA

DIA 3: 65 KM PUENTE DE LA REINA – STELLA – LOS ARCOS – VIANA

DIA 4: 62 KM VIANA – LOGRONO – NAJERA – SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA

DIA 5: 69 KM SANTO DOMINGO – BELORADO – SAN JUAN ORTEGA – CASTANARES

DIA 6: 75 KM CASTANARES – BURGOS – HORNILLOS – FROMISTA

DIA 7: 70 KM FROMISTA – TERRADILLOS – BERCIANOS DEL REAL CAMINO

DIA 8: 47 KM BERCIANOS – MANSILLA – LEON

DIA 9: 52 KM LEON – VILLADANGOS DEL PARAMO – ASTORGA

DIA 10: 55 KM ASTORGA – RABANAL – PONFERRADA

DIA 11: 53 KM PONFERRADA – VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO – O’CEBREIRO

DIA 12: 69 KM O’CEBREIRO – SARRIA – PORTOMARIN

DIA 13: 52 KM PORTOMARIN – PALAS DEL REI – RIBADISO

DIA 14: 43 KM RIBADISO – PEDROUZO – SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband and I will travel from Brazil to France at the end of May to do the French Camino by bike .
We elaborate a sequence of steps of 14 days and we would like to know if this route is feasible and if our mileage markings are correct.
Could someone help us?

DIA 1: 32 KM SJPP – RONCESVALLES – ESPINAL

DIA 2: 64 KM ESPINAL – ZUBIRI – PAMPLONA – PUENTE DE LA REINA

DIA 3: 65 KM PUENTE DE LA REINA – STELLA – LOS ARCOS – VIANA
Hola Ana and welcome to the Camino Forum. Without knowing your cycling experience its difficult to comment (adversely) on your daily intinerary. A couple of other questions - what type of bikes will you be riding and do you intend to follow the walking pilgrim Camino?

Some of your days are long and will be hard (even tough) riding. Day 2 the section from Pamplona to Puente de la Reina - if you intend to follow the pilgrims walking trail will be difficult. Days 5; 6 & 7 will also be hard (especially the section from Belorado/San Juan Ortega/Castanares (I suggest you find an alternative to this last section). Burgos/Hornillos/Fromista is especially long (75 km) and involves a number of long hill climbs - especially the one immediately west of Castrojeriz.
May I suggest you have a look at the section Biking the Camino. You will find a look of good information about the trail conditions and other stuff. I would especially suggest you have a look at post by newfydog (and maybe some of mind). Happy to answer any further questions. Cheers

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi Ana. A fabulous way to celebrate your 25th together. But....
I agree with everything Mike has posted. I could not contemplate this itinerary, but then I am presumably a lot older than you. If however you are very fit trail-bike riders, it is certainly possible, but would be a feat of endurance.
If you vary your route to include a fair amount of road riding, (which I did), it will make a big difference to your enjoyment of the journey. Mike mentions the steep trail west of Castrojeritz; I detoured around it which added kilometres, but was a lovely ride. Similarly I skirted around the Alto de Perdon just outside Pamplona.
On some of the narrow trails, I hated being a nuisance to the many walkers, as you have to show consideration and courtesy.
Are you hiring your bikes?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning a bicycle Camino in June. I am starting in Pamplona and going to SdC in 17 days. I have walked the route several times and want to make stops to see friends along the way. The comments about avoiding Alto Perdon and the Alto after Castro are definitely part of my plan. Many of of us agree doing a Camino on bike is not the same voyage for the senses that walking can be, but then I am doing my pilgrimage this year on a bike due to issues with my foot. There is a very good service that rents bike for the Camino located in Portugal and they will deliver and pick-up the bike anywhere along the Camino.
Altreya.

I am planning a bicycle Camino in June. I am starting in Pamplona and going to SdC in 17 days. I have walked the route several times and want to make stops to see friends along the way. The comments about avoiding Alto Perdon and the Alto after Castro are definitely part of my plan. Altreya.

Hi Ana. A fabulous way to celebrate your 25th together.
If you vary your route to include a fair amount of road riding, (which I did), it will make a big difference to your enjoyment of the journey. Mike mentions the steep trail west of Castrojeritz; I detoured around it which added kilometres, but was a lovely ride. Similarly I skirted around the Alto de Perdon just outside Pamplona.
On some of the narrow trails, I hated being a nuisance to the many walkers, as you have to show consideration and courtesy.

Hola Don - does this mean you "have seen the light"?? (Just kidding; Jenny says Hi!);
There are a number of Camino guide books for cyclists - the best is one produced in French language (I bought a copy but can't put my hands in right now) anyway its a guide book dedicated to cycling pilgrims. So if your French is OK its worth investigating. The other useful guide book is the Michelin "Camino de Santiago" which not only shows the Walkers Camino trail it also shows a number of local (minor & major) roads that you can follow to avoid those unfriendly hills (such as the Alto de Perdon). One or two tips to remember - cyclists in Spain have to wear a safety helmet when riding outside of towns & cities; also bikes are not permitted on Motorways/Autoways - the "A" routes - usually shown in red on the maps (however there are a couple of N roads that are also shown in red). The Michelin guide is very useful to cyclists on the last day when riding into Santiago because you do need to get off the N-547 when it meets the Autoway at the big roundabout 11 km east of Santiago. (The two books I mention above are available via Amazon - US/UK/French sites, and maybe at better book shops with an interest in the Camino.) Buen Camino:):rolleyes:

Hola Ana and welcome to the Camino Forum. Without knowing your cycling experience its difficult to comment (adversely) on your daily intinerary. A couple of other questions - what type of bikes will you be riding and do you intend to follow the walking pilgrim Camino?

Some of your days are long and will be hard (even tough) riding. Day 2 the section from Pamplona to Puente de la Reina - if you intend to follow the pilgrims walking trail will be difficult. Days 5; 6 & 7 will also be hard (especially the section from Belorado/San Juan Ortega/Castanares (I suggest you find an alternative to this last section). Burgos/Hornillos/Fromista is especially long (75 km) and involves a number of long hill climbs - especially the one immediately west of Castrojeriz.
May I suggest you have a look at the section Biking the Camino. You will find a look of good information about the trail conditions and other stuff. I would especially suggest you have a look at post by newfydog (and maybe some of mind). Happy to answer any further questions. Cheers

Thank you Mike! I will look at the section you mention...And yes, I'm going to review my "biking days".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ana. A fabulous way to celebrate your 25th together. But....
I agree with everything Mike has posted. I could not contemplate this itinerary, but then I am presumably a lot older than you. If however you are very fit trail-bike riders, it is certainly possible, but would be a feat of endurance.

Hi Paul! Thanks for your answer. I'll try to look again all the itinerary...
We were thinking of renting the bikes because the technical assistance service during the Camino, but in fact, we still do not know ... today we talked about it and one possibility is to take our own bikes which we are already accustomed ... we do not know yet.
I think of all the work of taking the bikes from Brazil ...
I know that there are several bicycle rental services that seem serious to me and that the bikes seem to be quality. Some advice?

I am planning a bicycle Camino in June. I am starting in Pamplona and going to SdC in 17 days. I have walked the route several times and want to make stops to see friends along the way. The comments about avoiding Alto Perdon and the Alto after Castro are definitely part of my plan. Many of of us agree doing a Camino on bike is not the same voyage for the senses that walking can be, but then I am doing my pilgrimage this year on a bike due to issues with my foot. There is a very good service that rents bike for the Camino located in Portugal and they will deliver and pick-up the bike anywhere along the Camino.
Altreya.

Hi Don, thank you for your answer!
Unfortunately we do not have the time to do the Camino on foot.
And we really enjoyed biking!
We are very excited for this journey and trying to prepare it in the best way possible. So the help of everyone here is very welcome.
You are very experienced and very available to share your knowledge. Thank you!
I'm going to study the routes a bit more. I bought a guide for bicigrinos by Amazon that should arrive in early January. I think it will help me a lot.

We were thinking of renting the bikes because the technical assistance service during the Camino, but in fact, we still do not know ... today we talked about it and one possibility is to take our own bikes which we are already accustomed ... we do not know yet.
I think of all the work of taking the bikes from Brazil ...
I know that there are several bicycle rental services that seem serious to me and that the bikes seem to be quality. Some advice?

Hi Ana - as one who also had to travel a significant distance (and who brought my bike from Australia) I can recommend renting. There are a number of Spanish/Portuguese companies (BikeIberia is one that comes to mind) and if you are renting for around 15-21 days I understand that there maybe reduced rental rates. The only restriction I am aware of is that the bike rental companies will not deliver bikes to St Jean (you might check this one). Hope this helps! Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back