• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino by cycle and scooter

irish_lobster

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago (2017)
Camino Potrugues (2017)
Dear piligrims
I and my friend plan to pass the Camino (North way) in 2017 and we want to do it on cycle or scooter.
So then we have a couple of questions:
1. Is it permitted to leave a cycle in Albergue at night. How much does it cost (or for free?)
2. How many kilometres is it possible to cycle in a day comfortably. (We plan 250 km for 10 days. Is it real?)
Hope to hear from you

Thanx in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you mean by 'scooter' a bike that has some sort of motor you might run into problems - both in (some) albergues as at the pilgrims office. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
2. How many kilometres is it possible to cycle in a day comfortably. (We plan 250 km for 10 days. Is it real?)
Hope to hear from you
I can easily walk 25 km per day, so it should be easy to cycle that much. How many km/day can you cycle?

It is typical to walk, cycle, move, on Caminos from7 am to mid afternoon, so some 7-8 hours. You could do 60km a day on a bicycle, depending on terrain.

Now, a scooter? A Vespa like scooter, that runs on gas, or even an electic one? You would have to srick to the roads and not be on the Camino at all.

Thank you guys
By scooter i mean this transport (I have adult version one). Do you think it is possible to use it (I mean in terms of terrain and roads)

Attachments

• Без названия.png
    Без названия.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 6
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Of course it is possible, as long as you are willing to push/carry it when necessary. Certainly a lot of the paths would not be friendly for a scooter and I wouldn't want to see you on the highways with it (as a bicycle would sometimes have to go).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did see some people doing the Sarria stetch on on of these trottinettes bit with a huge wheel in the front. By huge I mean bidder than a regular bicycle wheel. Would they have been able to use it is harder terrain: tractor grroves, rain grooves, up the Brusco (no way!), down from the monks' past Zarautz (nope!).

Hello

AS for bike at 25km a day would be very doable. IF you would want to go faster has to do with skill and how much you stop at churches and the like. Going slower will let you stop and feel the slower life.
AS for an adult scooter, I have never used one. To test it I would go to a local dirt road/bike trail which hopefully has a hill and try to put in a 25 km day and see if it works for you. IF it works than with it practice with adding a load.
Many on here are very pro walking to the point they see walking is the only way the camino should be done and see other ways as lesser or not doable.

Debra

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back