• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino by motorcycle

Nicole Fecteau

Time of past OR future Camino
October/November 2017
I am planning my 1st Camino and need to find the best "non-highway" route to Santiago for a motorcycle. The plan is to depart St Jean Pied du Port and do up to 60 miles each day. I need to find the quiet roads less traveled and places to stay that are respectful of the journey by motorcycle. Is there anyone who has done the Camino this way?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning my 1st Camino and need to find the best "non-highway" route to Santiago for a motorcycle. The plan is to depart St Jean Pied du Port and do up to 60 miles each day. I need to find the quiet roads less traveled and places to stay that are respectful of the journey by motorcycle. Is there anyone who has done the Camino this way?
Undertaking the Camino and following one of the routes on a motorcycle will be seen by many as two mutually exclusive things. Certainly such an endeavour would not be recognized by the Pilgrims Office for the issue of a credential nor would it quality for the Compostela or distance certificates.

That is not to say that there won't be places that will offer accommodation to someone who is not a pilgrim. Many private albergues operate on the basis that they are not exclusively for pilgrims (ie someone with a credencial) and of course there are other options like casa rural, hostels and hotels. That is a commercial decision, and will not be a matter of being 'respectful of the journey by motorcycle' - don't expect that from any of the pilgrims travelling on foot, bicycle or on horseback, or from those albergues that are exclusively for pilgrims. You just won't be seen as a pilgrim in the context of the Camino, irrespective of any personal motivations you might have for such a journey.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...That is a commercial decision, and will not be a matter of being 'respectful of the journey by motorcycle' - don't expect that from any of the pilgrims travelling on foot, bicycle or on horseback, or from those albergues that are exclusively for pilgrims. You just won't be seen as a pilgrim in the context of the Camino, irrespective of any personal motivations you might have for such a journey.

Maybe not seen as a "pilgrim" but at least a moto rider (on the roads) won't be barreling down the Camino trail like some bicyclists do, making the walking pilgrims jump off to the side. ps - I think a moto tour of northern Spain would be nice.

Last edited:
Welcome Nicole, follow the link below to download gpx files for a sat nav or to use on Google Earth. This route closely follows the Camino for using a motorbike or car.
I checked with several private albergues as I walked about using them if I did the trip by motorbike and all of them said it was not a problem provided I book a private room, using the shared dorms was for walking pilgrims only.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/st-jean-to-santiago-by-road.231/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Physically the Camino is a footpath which has been made by walking pilgrims over many hundreds of years. Some parts are suitable for bicycles, but not powered vehicles. There is also a network of roads (carretaras) that shadow the Camino and also a highway (the A12) which has been named after the Camino. You will have a wonderful journey across northern Spain on your motorcycle travelling the rural roads and staying in hotels, casa rurals and pensions, and the flexibility of a motorcycle will give you the ability to see many things just off the route that we walkers miss. I would not call this "my 1st camino" - come back and do that! My husband would love to join you. He has walked the Camino with me but is still completely mystified by anyone who chooses to walk when they could ride a motorbike.

Somewhere on YouTube there's an interview with Martin Sheen and his son Emilio Esteves about their movie "The Way". A question from the audience to Martin Sheen was " Did you walk the Camino?" He laughed his big generous laugh and admitted sheepishly "I'm an American. We rented a car and..." Much laughter.

Riding a motorcycle through Spain would be a wonderful ride. I've owned maybe 4 bikes, one scooter. Came off 4 times, never broke a bone. Never did a big road trip. One time I got hypothermia so badly I didn't stop shivering til the next day. One time I got blown over onto the opposite side of a two-lane highway going 100 miles/hour without moving the handle bars. BSA Goldstar Rocket with road-racing gearbox. 1962.
I've often thought I'd like one day to rent a car and drive along the CF, stop here and there and walk the bits I liked the best, take a cab back to the car, drive on. Take a couple of weeks.

A motorbike trip parallel to (edit) one of the Caminos would be a dreamy road trip and a beautiful ride but I don't think it would be a "Camino". There were a lot of bicycles along the way when I walked. Sometimes very annoying when the path was narrow, uneven and crowded with walkers.

What I enjoyed most was seeing the world change around me over 800kms as I moved through it at human speed and eyeball height. I would stop often and feel/listen to what the world was and how far out from my body I fitted into the world. The sound and smell of it and how I was connected to it. The sky, the rain, the sun, the life.

We are such clever creatures. We move faster and higher all the time.

One of my all time favourite movies is "Wings Of Desire" directed by Wim Wenders, dialogue written by Peter Handke. Its about an angel who chooses to become human. As an angel he can be seen only by young children. He can hear the thoughts of the dying. At one point he walks past a road accident. A motorcycle rider is sitting on the curb dying and we hear him thinking his last thoughts. His disembodied voice says quietly, "My wife...my children...summer...the sky".

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a lot of the trail is actually dirt double track which is used extensively by farm vehicles and presumably would be open to a motorcycle as well. I personally would avoid those with the number of walkers on the path these days, but you might check on some sections late in the day.

James Michener wrote that the Camino was the best journey in Spain and one of the finest trips in the world----and he did most of it by car.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did it last year and this year. Last year as close to the route as I could get and back along the Norte as close as I could get.

This year just out then off round Portugal and southern Spain.

You wanna know best routes - stop asking, buy a map and ride it. That is what biking is all about.

The original Camino followed the what have now become the main roads, the Camino as we know it, was moved in part to local farm tracks to take pilgrims off the main roads for safety reasons, some parts parallel the roads, as we know, and some more parts are still on the main roads. If you do the Camino by motorbike or car then chances are you will do most of it on the "original" Camino way.
A Camino is a journey to a holy place, the definition does not specify what mode of transport but as Doug said, going by motorbike or car will not qualify you for a compostella in Santiago, but I think what is in your heart as you make this journey is what is important.

Hola Nicole

Pilgrims frequently arrive in Santiago on motorbikes. As has been said they can't use assocation or municipal Albergues or recieve the Compostela but motorcyclists can stay in many private albergues or hostals. Where you stop on the Camino Frances you will inevitably meet many other walking or cycling pilgrims.
My personal plea would be for you to exclusively use roads and there is a very good road network along the length of the Camino. The presence of a motorbike on the Camino proper would be very disturbing to walking pilgrims. You sound as if you are sympathetic to that.
I also wonder about your plan to travel up to 60 miles per day - surely you would achieve this in two or three hours at most?

Whatever you do I hope it is rewarding.

Buen Camino

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know it was thrown out there as advice on this thread, but I would say stay off the actual Camino trail while riding a motorcycle. Stick to the roads. I love bikes, but honestly they have no place on the actual footpath for pilgrims. Hell, bicycles are barely tolerable on it, and I love riding mountain bikes.

I know it was thrown out there as advice on this thread, but I would say stay off the actual Camino trail while riding a motorcycle. Stick to the roads. I love bikes, but honestly they have no place on the actual footpath for pilgrims. Hell, bicycles are barely tolerable on it, and I love riding mountain bikes.

Sounded like she didn't intend to ride on the footpath. Personally, I wish bicycles didn't travel on the path, either. Last year, I looked for some way to rent a motorcycle one-way from Santiago back to Madrid, but couldn't find a way to do it.

Last edited:
Sounded like he didn't intend to ride on the footpath. Personally, I wish bicycles didn't travel on the path, either. Last year, I looked for some way to rent a motorcycle one-way from Santiago back to Madrid, but couldn't find a way to do it.
Yeah, ditto on the bicycles. It would be great if the walkers didn't have to share the path with them. Sorry if that offends any Camino bicyclists, or future ones out there. It's just that they could be so invasive to the walkers at times, barreling down at high speed, at times dangerously weaving through groups of pilgrims. Also in some sections they rut up the walking path, and when it rains it turns into a muddy mess. Good example is after SJPdP just before you get to Roncesvalles. The section through the woods.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah, ditto on the bicycles. It would be great if the walkers didn't have to share the path with them. Sorry if that offends any Camino bicyclists, or future ones out there. It's just that they could be so invasive to the walkers at times, barreling down at high speed, at times dangerously weaving through groups of pilgrims. Also in some sections they rut up the walking path, and when it rains it turns into a muddy mess. Good example is after SJPdP just before you get to Roncesvalles. The section through the woods.

In that downhill section through the woods before Roncesvalles is where I saw a bicyclist collide into the back of a walker. I was almost hit by bicycles several times along the Camino, too.

To both Mark and Lee about cyclists I would like to point about that there are three groups on the trials(camino) 1 local biker riding their local trail out for exercise and fun typically moving fast. 2 pilgrims which are usually out later after 7-8am, being careful and moving 8-10 miles an hours about three times a walking pilgrims. 3 the crazy, people that don't plan enough time for their riding skill level or are trying to learn to ride on trails. Group 1 and 3 are most of the problem. Group 3 will live and learn. Group 1 we as pilgrims have no right to say how locals will use their local trails because we decided to walk on them.

As for the original poster about motorcycling, I would say please not on the trails but were the camino is on rural gravel/dirt/asphalt roads go for it if you want to but maybe start at closer to 9 am in the morning so that walkers have spread out and are on longer in giant groups.

Debra

The Camino in Spain is protected by a profuse European and national legislation, and there are specific local laws regulating its character and usage. For example, if the construction of a highroad or dam needs to occupy some section, a special (and always very controversial) permit is needed. Private owners should allow (in Galice) a stripe of at least three meters for the transit of pedestrians. A "lateral area" of protection is also considered, each side, with restrictions for, by example, cutting trees.
The Galice regulations specify that (art. 9) "The purpose ("destino") of the Camino will be that of a pedestrian path, a purpose that will be compatible with its use as equestrian or as a way for vehicles without motor" (my translation) with logical exemptions for urban zones and domestic access (and, I suppose, where the Camino shares a paved road with the local traffic). Infractions are divided amongst categories, being the usage of motor vehicles ("tráfico rodado") considered "serious" (art. 21a). There are fines. Note that I am not a jurist; this is just as I understood the "legalese".
I suppose that there are similar regulations in other communities. In France, the GR paths (= Camino) are also well regulated.
So, dear Nicole, I suggest you better stay away from the Camino in rural areas. I guess that there will be parallel paths.
Have a good (and safe) riding!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Nicole,

Can I point you towards http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Set up by a Dutch pastor (who is also a biker) to work out scenic routes away from main highways you can then transfer the route to a TomTom or Garmin GPS.

What bike were you thinking of using by the way?

Haven't seen any bikergrinos but leaving Burgos on a Sunday in 2012 there were about 100 bikes on a ride out - very respectful and all waved to us footsloggers.

As an aside, sitting at a cafe in Fromista this September there was a very smartly dressed married couple with the big BMW GS tourer. As we chatted they apologised for asking but wondered if there was a well known hiking route nearby as they had seen a lot of people with rucksacks that day . . . .

Last edited:
Hell, bicycles are barely tolerable on it

Thats why my next Camino Frances is by "Helicopter"
In SDC Mark they will ask did i walk or ride ,
I flew young man i will answer:cool:
I might even take a stroll to Muxia , land on the grass approaching the village , WALK the 600m and stay @ Bar Lorena:)

Last edited:
In that downhill section through the woods before Roncesvalles is where I saw a bicyclist collide into the back of a walker. I was almost hit by bicycles several times along the Camino, too.
Gee you are being a bit tough on us cyclists - not ALL of us deserve this "tarred with the one brush" approach. I cycled much of the walking Camino in Sept 2015 - I used my bell; called out when I was passing; even stopped riding & walked when it was not safe (for me and the walkers).
As for riding a bike on the Napoleanic trail - I would call that *&^%$*& (not for Forum eyes/ears). Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gee you are being a bit tough on us cyclists - not ALL of us deserve this "tarred with the one brush" approach. I cycled much of the walking Camino in Sept 2015 - I used my bell; called out when I was passing; even stopped riding & walked when it was not safe (for me and the walkers).
As for riding a bike on the Napoleanic trail - I would call that *&^%$*& (not for Forum eyes/ears). Cheers

Thank you, Saint Mike! I always appreciate the courteous bicyclists. There were a couple who swished by me very close on a tight trail and scared me to death because I didn't hear them coming. When I saw one of them later, having an afternoon nap in the albergue, I toyed with the idea of sidling up close to his bunk and suddenly screaming AAAEEEIIIII!! in his ear. Later I met him and he was so nice - an Italian guy - that I didn't have the heart to tell him off.

not ALL of us deserve this "tarred with the one brush" approach. I cycled much of the walking Camino in Sept 2015 - I used my bell; called out when I was passing; even stopped riding & walked when it was not safe (for me and the walkers).
I have no problem at all with cyclists who understand that on a walking path walkers have precedence. I like them, in fact. So thank you, Mike, for your courtesy.
As for the rest...I sincerely hope to be able to continue to successfully restrain the insane urge to push them over as they whiz by.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Obviously a true saint and unique amongst cyclists. Could you come back and give us your views on cyclists after you've walked the camino in May?

Obviously a true saint and unique amongst cyclists. Could you come back and give us your views on cyclists after you've walked the camino in May?
Not a problem - oh and BTW - since I don't have ear pieces shoved into my ears I can usually hear a cyclist approaching and I also keep a watchful eye on both overtaking cyclists and walking pilgrims - who also push past on narrow sections of the track.

Not a problem - oh and BTW - since I don't have ear pieces shoved into my ears I can usually hear a cyclist approaching and I also keep a watchful eye on both overtaking cyclists and walking pilgrims - who also push past on narrow sections of the track.

Ouchie!

€46,-

Notre , Le Puy, Portuguese , Madrid , Mont St Michel or the really quiet places Mike...............no problems with bikes.
More than one path mate

Last edited:
Next year I'm planning to do my own "camino" by motorbike. I would love to do it on foot, but not yet. Of course on a motorbike there are some differences concerning fysical, mental, spiritual aspects. My feet won't hurt, but driving around for about 4200 km will also leave its marks. I'm planning to follow the camino frances to Compostela and return through the camino norte, following the roads , not the footpaths. I do have a reason to do this. As for the accommodation I fully understand that the albergues are meant for the "real" pilgrims.
What do I expect of "my pilgrimage" ? I don't know, but I do hope to meet people, listen to their stories, and treat anyone with the same respect I will do, I'd like to share the spiritual moments, receive the blessings.
I think it doesn't matter how you do it, as long you do it with an open heart and mind.

I hope you write up your experience. I would love to read it. (I am leaving to walk the camino in a few days and am looking into renting a motorcycle to ride back to Barcelona afterwards).

Will do, most of my experiences can be followed on my blog, but as this is not in English, I will post my experiences on this forum.

I thought I'd had a brilliant and novel idea, to ride the Camino, or an approximation of it by motorcycle! Of course, all these other brilliant people have got there ahead of me! My partner is a very fit walker some years my junior, but with M.E. I can't cope with the physical demands. A parallel rout by road allowing us to get togther at village and town stops looks like a good solution. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has hired a motorcycle and travelled the northern coastal route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you're keeping pace with a walker you'll be riding maybe 20km a day so maybe 20 minutes of riding - what will you do with the rest of your time? I take it you'll be staying in hostales/hotels?

Where are you from? Have you biked in Europe before? Bikers get more respect in mainland Europe than places like England but you need to have your wits about you.

What does your doctor think about you mixing a, let's be honest, fairly dangerous mode of transport with a medical condition? Also have you considered your medical/travel insurance?

If you DO pull it off good luck to you. I've fancied doing a Spanish tour myself but I'd have to ride 1000km across France just to get to SJPP :(

All very good points Jeff. My energies are limited and pottering around the countryside and local roads sounds like bliss to me. I'll probably choose to get coffees when I'm not with my partner and maybe even do a bit or writing: something else that floats my boat. I am quite senior as bikers go, in my sixties, although I haven't ridden through France for thirty years. I'm on a large (BMW) sports touring bike now and plan to tow it all the way down to northern Spain on the back of a big estate car; although to be honest my wife will do most of the driving. The ME troubles me less than it used to, and in my positive moments, like today, I still manage to tear around the countryside in much the same way as did when I were a lad. It might be a pipe-dream, but until events make such a thing impossible, I'm going to try to fulfil the dream.

I looked into renting a motorcycle while in Spain; I was hoping to ride from Santiago back to Barcelona for my flight home after my walk. (There's one that rents BMWs, btw) But I couldn't find any rental agencies in Santiago and only one that allowed point to point rentals (and it was nowhere near Santiago).

As for risk, bicycling is also very dangerous; in some ways more so as cyclists are going slower and hoping drivers will see them. Just sayin'.

Good luck and I'd love to hear if you find a rental agency that works for you.
Jill

If you still read on here....

Take a look at the N630 route.
Runs from Seville to Gijon in the Basque Country.

Believed to be best ride in Spain.

Little traffic. For most part of it you can be considered a walker.

Since the N630 runs along the Plata

All very good points Jeff. My energies are limited and pottering around the countryside and local roads sounds like bliss to me. I'll probably choose to get coffees when I'm not with my partner and maybe even do a bit or writing: something else that floats my boat. I am quite senior as bikers go, in my sixties, although I haven't ridden through France for thirty years. I'm on a large (BMW) sports touring bike now and plan to tow it all the way down to northern Spain on the back of a big estate car; although to be honest my wife will do most of the driving. The ME troubles me less than it used to, and in my positive moments, like today, I still manage to tear around the countryside in much the same way as did when I were a lad. It might be a pipe-dream, but until events make such a thing impossible, I'm going to try to fulfil the dream.
Good for you! I was a bit worried it was a "mid-life crisis" thing but since you haven't mentioned Harleys or Goldwings . . . . ;)

The tow down sounds a good idea but presents logistical problems:

You could leave the car/trailer in SJPP but for over a month?

You could take everything with you and shuttle back and forth - after your wife has showered and siesta'd at town A you load the bike on the trailer and head to the next day's stop. Dump the car and trailer at town B and head back to town A on the bike for a night's sleep (I take it Mrs R is happy with riding pillion?). A bit of a palaver but you get to use the car as a steel rucksack carrying all your possessions except what you need for the day's hike/ride.

It's a bit like the farmer with the fox/chicken/sack of grain trying to cross the river puzzle (my favoured solution is take the chicken across, come back and shoot the fox, take that across, come back and collect the grain - other answers are equally valid).

Good luck and let us know what you decide - it's sunny out there so off for a walk now, my Ingles starts in just over a month :eek:

Jeff C (66 and owner of a "poor man's BMW" - Kwak GT750)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back