• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Canal Boat near Frómista.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Canal de castilla was built to carry grain from around Medina del campo to the Northern coast,there is a tourist boat that operates from Medina the round trip cruise takes 2 hours.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Canal de Castilla was not only built for transport (S-N) but also for irrigation of the grain fields (N-S).
And Medina del Campo is on Camino de Madrid if that's of any interest :)

The walk from the En El Camino albergue in Boadilla del Camino is very pleasant wouldn't want to shorten it even with a nice barge ride. Fromista does have the wonderful Iglesia de San Martin de Fromista – look up for the Romesque column capitals and just down the street to the right, in the square, we sailors can find Saint Elmo in his boat - not too much else to entice a quick entry into the town.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The walk from the En El Camino albergue in Boadilla del Camino is very pleasant wouldn't want to shorten it even with a nice barge ride. Fromista does have the wonderful Iglesia de San Martin de Fromista – look up for the Romesque column capitals and just down the street to the right, in the square, we sailors can find Saint Elmo in his boat - not too much else to entice a quick entry into the town.

That's right, it's a beautiful walk, and Fromista has the best pork chops I've ever eaten in my life!

Hey Scruffy, I tried looking for En El Camino albergue to book lodging in March. I've stayed there before, but could only find private room reservations online. Do you know if they allow you to reserve pilgrim beds? Have they changed to only private now? And the photo to the entrance looks a lot different too. I'm a little confused.

Eduardo runs the hotel next door with the "grander entrance." It has first class private accommodations. He also runs the albergue as well and spends his days there. I am not sure if he runs the albergue on a first come, first serve basis.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does anyone has any Info, or can share their experience?
What kind of additional info are you looking for? As the poster says, the boat operates every day except Monday and if you are walking on the Camino in the direction of Santiago you can take it in the morning or around noon, at 9.30 or 12.30. It covers a distance of about 3 km. It moves slowly. So you either walk on the towpath along the canal or you glide past it on the boat. The poster shows the arrival in Fromista and below is an image of the starting point shortly after Boadilla where the Camino Frances hits the canal. You can't miss it, I guess, so the main question is whether you will arrive there at one of the daily departure times. The second question is whether there are places left during their season as it caters mainly for visitors to Fromista who want to go on a short boat trip there and back on the canal.

Barco Fromista.jpg

Last edited:
I have walked this section quite a few times, yet never seen or knew about the boat. Everyday is a schoolday!

I really don't like Fromista, I have always felt unwelcome from the locals in the bars there. (The town has a bit of a reputation amongst the Spanish too, - though that is probably undeserved). And (apart from the church) it really is not pretty. I always walk on the extra few km to Poblacion and the excellent albergue La Finca.

Davey

I always walk on the extra few km to Poblacion and the excellent albergue La Finca.
I absolutely love La Finca. One of the best albergues on the Frances. So worth the extra 4km from Fromista.

Lower "bunk" - note that there is a mini staircase, not a ladder to the upper "bunk"

albergue-la-finca-5.jpg

Upper "bunk"
albergue-la-finca-6.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked this section quite a few times, yet never seen or knew about the boat.
They started the boat trip only last year in August 2018. And now that I had a closer look at it, I see that the poster is also from last year :). So it's anyone's guess whether the days and times for departure are still the same in 2019.

I remember what my feet felt like when we walked to Fromista to stay there so a slow moving boat would have been a great temptation but there was no boat. I don't remember anything negative about Fromista. I stayed there twice and would not hesitate to stay there again. I would visit San Martín each time I'm there and there's some other stuff to explore if so inclined ...

Last edited:
I absolutely love La Finca. One of the best albergues on the Frances. So worth the extra 4km from Fromista.

Lower "bunk" - note that there is a mini staircase, not a ladder to the upper "bunk"

View attachment 64054

Upper "bunk"
View attachment 64055

I love this place so much! Plus free washing machines and excellent food. First time I was there just after it opened 7 pilgrims decided to stay a second night! And the guy who I was walking with decided to marry the hospitalera!

Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What kind of additional info are you looking for? As the poster says, the boat operates every day except Monday and if you are walking on the Camino in the direction of Santiago you can take it in the morning or around noon, at 9.30 or 12.30. It covers a distance of about 3 km. It moves slowly. So you either walk on the towpath along the canal or you glide past it on the boat. The poster shows the arrival in Fromista and below is an image of the starting point shortly after Boadilla where the Camino Frances hits the canal. You can't miss it, I guess, so the main question is whether you will arrive there at one of the daily departure times. The second question is whether there are places left during their season as it caters mainly for visitors to Fromista who want to go on a short boat trip there and back on the canal.

View attachment 64053

My main questions were.... Where and When

So (if I understand correctly) they have built a "Dock" where the Camino joins the Canal Road and they arrive there at 9:30'ish and Noon'ish.

Good.

On My Camino (next Month) I assume I will be Staying in Castrojeriz and walking to Frómista (25.5Km).

Sounds like 9:30 is too early and Noon is late'ish..... but doable.

When I get to Castrojeriz, I will call the number on the Poster, to check availability, and time.

(I hope it works with my VERY limited Spanish)

Thanks

I love this place so much! Plus free washing machines and excellent food. First time I was there just after it opened 7 pilgrims decided to stay a second night! And the guy who I was walking with decided to marry the hospitalera!

Davey

I just settled for a sello, your companion showed a much greater degree of commitment.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
They started the boat trip only last year in August 2018. And now that I had a closer look at it, I see that the poster is also from last year :). So it's anyone's guess whether the days and times for departure are still the same in 2019.

I remember what my feet felt like when we walked to Fromista and stayed there so I would have taken the boat without hesitation but there was no boat. I don't remember anything negative about Fromista. I stayed there twice and would not hesitate to stay there again. I would visit San Martín each time I'm there and there's some other stuff to explore if so inclined ...

Ah so the boat is quite new!

I have been to Fromista 5 or 6 times, I don't remember anything but rudeness. Could just be me though! Anyway, since La Finca opened I have no reason to stop there ever again.

Davey

Was she the blonde woman from California?

Yeah that's her. She stayed the night it opened, then stayed semi permanently. Last heard (2017) she was in discussion about becoming a partner in the business. I will have to contact them on facecrap to see how they are getting on. I think we may have had this discussion before Trecile!

Davey

I have twice stayed at Hostal Camino De Santiago in Frómista (far end of Town)

Very friendly. Welcomes you with a (free) COLD Beer or Soda.

Within a Block are a Supermecado and a Bar/Restaurant.

I plan on staying there again.

I have twice stayed at Hostal Camino De Santiago in Frómista (far end of Town)
Very friendly. Welcomes you with a (free) COLD Beer or Soda.
Excellent choice 🙂. We stayed there once, the other time it was unfortunately fully booked. Very good memories, the lady was very welcoming and helpful. Spanish language only, though, but I'm quite happy with this, despite my poor command of the Spanish language.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Scruffy, I tried looking for En El Camino albergue to book lodging in March. I've stayed there before, but could only find private room reservations online. Do you know if they allow you to reserve pilgrim beds? Have they changed to only private now? And the photo to the entrance looks a lot different too. I'm a little confused.
Don't know, I always showed up at the back gate and walked in - one of my favorite albergues!

Fromista has some top rated restaurant worth the stay just for the food

Last edited:
Now that I am thinking about it, I'm wondering if that rare pork you get in Fromista could be causing the stomach problems in Carrion. I never eat rare pork, but remember eating "the best pork chops ever" in Fromista and I remember they were still bloody, which concerned me, but I threw caution to wind. I did not get sick, nor did Joe, but that was many years ago. I understand people are being cautioned about pork again.

Just a thought.

Attachments

• 0920_1311 The best Pork Chops in Poblacion.jpg
    0920_1311 The best Pork Chops in Poblacion.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 17
Yeah that's her. She stayed the night it opened, then stayed semi permanently. Last heard (2017) she was in discussion about becoming a partner in the business. I will have to contact them on facecrap to see how they are getting on. I think we may have had this discussion before Trecile!

Davey
Yes, I think that we have had this conversation before. When I met her in 2017 she was looking to open her own albergue modeled after La Finca. I was curious if she has found a place.

Yes, I think that we have had this conversation before. When I met her in 2017 she was looking to open her own albergue modeled after La Finca. I was curious if she has found a place.

I will have a chat with them and let you know. It means going on facebook though!

Davey

I recently walked through Fromista. You can do a trip down the canal on this boat and there is a reduced price for pilgrims, I think it was €2 for a half hour trip. They also have a stamp for your credencial!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I get to Castrojeriz, I will call the number on the Poster, to check availability, and time.
When I walked past the jetty on 1 March this year, the (permanent-looking) sign said it runs every day from Wednesday to Monday. No times given. Pilgrim rate 2 euros.

It's a traditional means of doing one's Camino, so even a crazy "purist" like myself would be happy with it.

Looks like fun, and that particular stretch is always a bit of a chore by foot.

Today I stopped at the Town before and asked.... when does the boat arrive?
1pm she said
We rushed ahead and waited... nothing
We phoned the number on the sign.... They are only running at 5pm today.... and it was full.
Nice idea.... but not reliable

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When a gaggle of tourists and a BOAT appeared surprisingly out of the dust haze of a passing sheep flock around noon on a late summer day, my poor tired brain struggled to understand what I was seeing in the middle of the meseta. As I came over the rise I was surrounded and questioned by some lovely Spanish seniors on a day trip from Fromista. Was I walking to Santiago? Si. Was I walking sola?. Si. I was "tan valiente" , But where was my hombre? I understood that I suddenly had many prayers to carry to Santiago, was hugged some more until they reboarded. I kept pace with the boat most of the way into Fromista :) Thanks for the memory!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back