• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Caracoles arrived in Santiago today

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The Camino Caracoles arrived in Santiago this morning after walking from Barbadelo in 17 days. It was an amazing journey and "take it slow and smell the roses" took on a new meaning for Adriaan and me, the two group leaders. Walking 5km to 8km a day, always concious of their physical limitations, was a learning curve for us.
Johnnie walker met us in Santiago and surprised us by reserving a bench in the front row. Also, the Camino Caracoles 2013 was named as one of the groups that arrived today. Our walkers said that they felt like VIPs and were overwhelmed by the reception they received. Johnnie took us to the pilgrim's office and led us to a private room downstairs where the Compostelas were prepared.
It was an emotional moment for Patricia who walked in the memory of her brother who passed away at a fairly young age. Patricia (74 years old) and her 52 year-old daughter have a familial foot problem and some days thought they might not make it.
Ann and her husband did a part of the Camino from Roncesvalles to Burgos in 1995. They planned on completing it the following year but he became ill and passed away. Ann, who had polio and walks with a walker, did the Slow Camino carrying her husband's 1995 credential and was given a lovely memorial Compostela in his name.
Bob doesn't have a specific disability (besides having had heart by-pass a few years ago) but at 89 years of age was a wonderful inspiration to us all.
Reinette had a tumour the size of an egg removed from her skull a year ago which has left her a bit wobbly at times and with occasional headaches. She was so euphoric with the joys of life that she sang, danced and laughed her way across the Camino.
This experience proved that anyone could walk the Camino with a little bit of help and earn the Compostela.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well done to you all, and glad you had such a great time. Wasn't JW a star for organising that?! :D

Buen Camino!

WOW! "¡Parabens!" (Galego for congratulations!) to you all. Every pilgrim who walks the Camino takes on some special difficulty since it is the nature of humans to suffer in some way, alas. But to walk with a physical infirmity is courage indeed. Way to go all of you. You are a true inspiration!!!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
YAY! You guys have done so well - including the leaders who had the compassion to make this achievement possible. Go JW too!

sillydoll said:
...This experience proved that anyone could walk the Camino with a little bit of help and earn the Compostela.
So may be it, but in my view the "little bit of help" was essentially Sil's organizational qualities. :D

So may be it, but in my view the "little bit of help" was essentially Sil's organizational qualities

Maybe, but you did twice the mileage anyone else did! Playing the role of sweeper and up-front helper wasn't easy. You should have seen Fraluchi go! Racing ahead to reel in 89 year-old Bob who often marched ahead and had to be stopped before overshooting the end place. Then hot-footing it to the back to help the slower walkers. Pushing the Irish lady on her Veloped when she couldn't walk.
The Slow Camino wouldn't have been the success it was without you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What a beautiful experience that walk must have been. It moves me to read your posts.

So glad to read it all went so well sil, and I am sure all those who received their compostelas were duly proud of them.
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sil,
In another post Annie says she sensed a different vibe on the Camino this year. What was ya'll experience?
Rambler

I know you arrived in Santiago a couple months ago but wow, reading through this thread I can just feel the enthusiasm, excitement, and sense of accomplishment. When a trip is well-planned-out beforehand people are free to just enjoy and take it all in during it, so good job everyone!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back