• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Catalan

LarsN

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Portugues, Ingles, Primitivo
Started in Barcelona on 10 April. Very hard to find the marked trail the first three days, via Sant Cugat and Terassa. Lovely streches but plan carefully, easy to get lost.

From Montserrat, where the Albergue is a treat, very high standard, the next three days to Tarrega are well marked and enjoyable but lots of asfalt. Did not encounter a single pilgrim. So the term "el camino the silencio" is appropriate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen camino @LarsN. Looking forward to your posts. Are you planning to go via Huesca or Lérida?

After the glory of the walk from Llançà to Montserrat, my immediate reaction to the Catalán was that it was not so special, but in hindsight I find myself wishing to go back and walk in springtime, when the fields would not be the same dried brown that they were in June.

Hoping you have a wonderful walk.

I was about to embark on the camino from Llançá, whcich you so wonderfully describe in your post from 2015. But my friend and I had agreed to do the Barcelona and then it was natural to continue on the Catalan. There were some truly beautiful parts, and very lonely. In Cervera I felt like a stranger. In stead of continuing after Tarrega I took a bus south east and did parts of the Routa de Cister in stead. Poblet is a gem. Thanks again for your comments.

Lars

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And indeed, it was very green and lush on the trail, relatively speaking.

Started in Barcelona on 10 April. Very hard to find the marked trail the first three days, via Sant Cugat and Terassa. Lovely streches but plan carefully, easy to get lost.

From Montserrat, where the Albergue is a treat, very high standard, the next three days to Tarrega are well marked and enjoyable but lots of asfalt. Did not encounter a single pilgrim. So the term "el camino the silencio" is appropriate.
How would the Camino be for cyclists?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How would the Camino be for cyclists?
I wasn't thinking about that when I walked but if you are starting from Monserrat I think it would be a pleasant ride. Between Sarsamarcuella and Peña Estación there can be stretches of narrow trail and some hills where I would walk a bike if I had one. I am thinking of one particularally rutted downhill road. You could skirt this section by using roads to the north and get views of the cliffs. You likely also want to avoid the trail up to and down from the monasteries of San Juan de la Peña.

From Santa Cruz to Santa Cilia I remember some rough spots but that might be doable but I rather not give advice on this section.

I wasn't thinking about that when I walked but if you are starting from Monserrat I think it would be a pleasant ride. Between Sarsamarcuella and Peña Estación there can be stretches of narrow trail and some hills where I would walk a bike if I had one. I am thinking of one particularally rutted downhill road. You could skirt this section by using roads to the north and get views of the cliffs. You likely also want to avoid the trail up to and down from the monasteries of San Juan de la Peña.

From Santa Cruz to Santa Cilia I remember some rough spots but that might be doable but I rather not give advice on this section.
Thanks for the info. I’m not opposed to taking the road or walking the bike!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back