• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Cebu, Philippines

Trailhawk

The Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2022: Camino del Norte + Primitivo + Finisterre
Cebu is a province found in Central Philippines. It has seven cities and 46 municipalities. Three of the towns has their patron saint as St. James the Apostle (the Greater). One of the towns is called Compostela. It hosts the Archdiocesan Shrine of Santiago de Compostela, established in 1865 by a Spanish priest from Zaragoza, Spain. The parish has relics of St. James obtained in the past and just recently.

There are three routes of this camino: 1. Around the rural areas of Compostela which is 28+ kilometers and walked for 2 days; 2. From the town of Sogod to Compostela which is 65+ kilometers long and walked in 5 days and; 3. From the town of Badian to Compostela which is 175+ kilometers and walked in 10 days. These may sound easy but is not.

The Camino de Santiago (Camino Cebu) here was established in July 2017 and was first walked for ten days by the then parish priest of Compostela, Fr. Scipio Deligero, and eight pilgrims. I was the guide. After that, word got out and local pilgrims, especially those who cannot afford travel to Spain, walked this Asian equivalent of the Camino de Santiago. Youngest is 5 years old and the oldest at 81 years old.

Compostela and its parish hosted the 2nd National Congress of St. James the Greater Parishes and Devotees last February 2019. One of those who came was Msgr. Elizardo Temperan Villaverde of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, Spain and he brought with him a relic of St. James and a document known as a "spiritual bond of affinity". It states that what plenary indulgences you receive in completing the Camino de Santiago in Spain is the same as doing it here and vice versa.

You may obtain a credencial from the Archdiocesan Shrine of Santiago de Compostela at Php1,500 (27.44 euros) and may include a statue of Sr. Santiago, a scallop and a certificate of finish signed by the Archbishop of Cebu. You may contact their office at 6332 425-8746. The parish is currently under the helm of Msgr. Ildebrando Leyson.

Basically, this is a poor man's camino. The length of days is carefully followed since the terrain and the climate here plays a big role in how you maintain your pace and your stamina. Besides that, there are no directional signs and albergues. Pilgrims are welcomed to sleep and dine in the mountain parishes. A little donation would help greatly these remote parishes. This is a camino that is still in its unadulterated form reminiscent of the medieval years.

To work your way around and to successfully complete your journey, it is recommended that a local guide be hired. The parish would contact one for you.

26132894_10215225563257542_667727239_o.png

26102885_10215227612428770_1944032249_n.png

100_0523.JPG

164_6929.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a forum friend from the Philippines who now lives and works in Quatar. She is busy and rarely participates any more. She is @yaying on yhe forum. I have emailed her and informed her of the Cebu camino if she has not heard of it yet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
wow. This is cool. My wife is from Cebu and I have mentioned to her about having a camino around Cebu. The humidity in Cebu is pretty tough. I'm just wondering why is the certificate so expensive? It is supposed to be affordable for all walks of life.

The parish needed the funds to create a bigger church in preparation for the 500 years of the Christianization of the Philippines next year, notably in Cebu, where most of the activities would be held. They have already finished the structure that would hold the 11.5-foot botafumeiro. Actually, the increase in cost includes a 9-inch tall statue of St. James.164_6925.JPG
164_6927.JPG
52360329_552973455215289_3101859045124866048_n.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is very interesting indeed. I may look into this for next year. I have just returned from the Philippines 2 weeks ago, visiting the amazing Garin Farm Heaven and many old churches in the south of Panay. There are some amazing churches in Visayas (Cebu Cathedral is beautiful too, as is San Sebastian Bacolod Cathedral).
A Camino would be fabulous, though I wonder if it is along the busy roads, as they are very dangerous and unpleasant or is it across quieter terrain? Also, with the high humidity and heat from about 10 am, the stages would have to be short and involve very early starts.

This is very interesting indeed. I may look into this for next year. I have just returned from the Philippines 2 weeks ago, visiting the amazing Garin Farm Heaven and many old churches in the south of Panay. There are some amazing churches in Visayas (Cebu Cathedral is beautiful too, as is San Sebastian Bacolod Cathedral).
A Camino would be fabulous, though I wonder if it is along the busy roads, as they are very dangerous and unpleasant or is it across quieter terrain? Also, with the high humidity and heat from about 10 am, the stages would have to be short and involve very early starts.
It is along the middle backbone of Cebu sir @doctorherman, far far away from the busy corridors. The humidity is the one obstacle why pilgrims here should walk in a certain time frame. In January and February, the weather is mild on the mountains and ridges. A 68-year old Swiss national just finished a Camino Cebu just this January.

By the way, travel with donkey is allowed on the Camino in Spain. Is travel with carabao allowed on the Philippine Camino? ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is along the middle backbone of Cebu sir @doctorherman, far far away from the busy corridors. The humidity is the one obstacle why pilgrims here should walk in a certain time frame. In January and February, the weather is mild on the mountains and ridges. A 68-year old Swiss national just finished a Camino Cebu just this January.

Madamo nga salamat Sir Trailhawk. This really does sound fabulous, being away from the main roads.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
During the last day of your journey, whether it be the 2, 5 or the 10 days, all pilgrims pass by this giant cross - a hundred feet high - on top of a hill. And following the traditions of the Camino de Santiago in Spain, every pilgrim leaves his pebble on the foot of the cross, before proceeding to the last stretch to the Archdiocesan Shrine of Santiago de Compostela. The Camino Cebu encourages all pilgrims to pick a pebble from the footsteps of their home or from their backyard and carry it with them to this cross. The same with prayer petitions from close relatives, neighbors and friends.

58372524_2190085064410429_1850336679223623680_n.jpg50395125_360902221158870_5671474670503723008_n.jpg

Interesting but the country is not very safe.
I know the southern island of Mindanao does have an element of Islamic sepratism but, as for the majority of the country I would/did feel just as safe as I did in Europe.
I am sure there is a travel advisory relating to this and any other countries for those unsure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They have already finished the structure that would hold the 11.5-foot botafumeiro. Actually, the increase in cost includes a 9-inch tall statue of St. James.
11 foot tall botafumeiro and 9 inch tall statue of Santiago. There's a place that knows its priorities.

Interesting but the country is not very safe.
Cebu is in the center of the Philippines and has the best peace-and-order situation in the country. It is very far from the trouble areas of Mindanao Island where Islamic militancy had been quelled time and time again; as well as with a long-running Maoist rebellion.

I have been to Cebu before. Spent a week there. Did scuba diving. Beautiful dives off of Malapascua island. Filipinos wonderful people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
wow. This is cool. My wife is from Cebu and I have mentioned to her about having a camino around Cebu. The humidity in Cebu is pretty tough. I'm just wondering why is the certificate so expensive? It is supposed to be affordable for all walks of life.
The Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela in Cebu, PH lately had refrained from imposing a fee which may already include a 9-inch statue of St, James, and downgrade it to 500 Pesos, which is equivalent to 8.38 euros, which already assures you of a credenciales and a native scallops necklace. Since there is no GPS waypoints along the way, you may have to hire a local guide. Please contact me to make this Camino of the tropics possible for you.

The Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela in Cebu, PH lately had refrained from imposing a fee which may already include a 9-inch statue of St, James, and downgrade it to 500 Pesos, which is equivalent to 8.38 euros, which already assures you of a credenciales and a native scallops necklace. Since there is no GPS waypoints along the way, you may have to hire a local guide. Please contact me to make this Camino of the tropics possible for you.
Hi Trailhawk:
Greetings from Alberta Cda (via Socksargen)! I am thankful for this post. Am wondering if this pilgrimage is ongoing or has been put on hold due to the pandemic?

Most read last week in this forum

Started the pilgrimage yesterday (23rd March), walking from Ise Jingu Naiku to Tamaru. Took the train back to accommodation in Ise as there's nothing available in Tamaru. Was raining the whole...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back