• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino coffee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Finisterra 2022
It struck me today as I consumed my morning "joe", that I REALLY miss those morning coffees on the Camino!
Does anyone miss the blank faced bar-person, when you ask for "un cafe largo", or "cafe americano" or "cafe grande"? Probably not, but you probably do miss the person banging the old coffee grounds out, grinding some FRESH beans and the lovely smell of fresh coffee brewing into your little cup.
Oh, the joy of a freshly made coffee and a chocolate croissant at 7:00 AM, while it was still dark and cold outside!
And, every little village seemed to have a coffee option at 7:00 AM!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sadly I walked as much as 9 km ( on one or more occasions) to find this elixir of life and those cases I almost always had two just to make up for the early morning deficit.

@J Willhaus ...stay away from Via de la Plata then ...I think they have 35 km hike without any :-/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes might have to resort to a caffeine patch or some kind of gum. Much less satisfying and definitely less pleasurable!!!

Actually ...caffe solo gum sounds pretty good!

7am?!!!? They had to roust me out of the bunk at 8am so they could close up the albergue (but I soothed my hurt feelings with cafe cortados: the best 5 ounces of coffee in the world!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These things are all pretty standard between the Adriatic Coast in Italy and the Atlantic in Portugal, up through most of France (some of the very northerly bits don't really do the same thing), as well as Austria (not sure about the situations in Switzerland and Germany and etc.).

So from our point of view down here, there's nothing special about it at all, it's just normal -- the best morning brew I've ever come across anyway are the Roman and the Viennese ...

But even though I'm not myself a big coffee-ist, I do very much sympathise with those of you living out where such basics of decent life are unavailable, instead of simply, when one might feel the urge, as one does from time to time even as a non-coffee-ist, going out in the morning and just get some ...

These things are all pretty standard between the Adriatic Coast in Italy and the Atlantic in Portugal, up through most of France (some of the very northerly bits don't really do the same thing), as well as Austria (not sure about the situations in Switzerland and Germany and etc.).

So from our point of view down here, there's nothing special about it at all, it's just normal -- the best morning brew I've ever come across anyway are the Roman and the Viennese ...

But even though I'm not myself a big coffee-ist, I do very much sympathise with those of you living out where such basics of decent life are unavailable, instead of simply, when one might feel the urge, as one does from time to time even as a non-coffee-ist, going out in the morning and just get some ...

The best coffee I had on the camino was the coffee-bar next to the lighthouse in Fisterra :)

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say I've consumed half the coffees I've had in my entire life while on camino. At home I just don't have the need/desire for them but there's something about stopping after an hour or so of walking for breakfast with a cup of cafe con leche, or americano con leche as I embarrasingly called it through most of my first camino, that really hits the spot.

Coffee is an essential for me. But I guess it is only on the French way, that there is always a bar open at 7am for your morning-coffee. I can remember walking very long stretches on other caminos without the possibility to obtain a coffee, especially on weekends.

The best black coffee (cafe solo, bica) I enjoyed in Portugal. But it was also on the portugese way in Pontecesures that we were desperately looking for a place to obtain a morning coffee by 9am on a sunday . Finally we could persuade the owner of "a mesa de pedra" to brew us a coffee. And I can remember that when leaving Tui at 7am I never found an open bar for my coffee, so I really decided to walk the ugly way to O Porrinio just to get a coffee on the way!

It struck me today as I consumed my morning "joe", that I REALLY miss those morning coffees on the Camino!
Does anyone miss the blank faced bar-person, when you ask for "un cafe largo", or "cafe americano" or "cafe grande"? Probably not, but you probably do miss the person banging the old coffee grounds out, grinding some FRESH beans and the lovely smell of fresh coffee brewing into your little cup.

Don’t you have coffee like that your country? :eek:

Maybe you’d better move to Australia ;)

The Camino make bad coffee taste good! :-D
You've had bad coffee in Spain? Where?

Popped over to France yesterday (lunch and shopping with brother and my sister-in-law) and we all agreed that the French have an over exaggerated reputation for their coffee whereas Spanish coffee is fantástico mind you they're even more biased than me as their son married a Spanish girl.

Anybody tried Vietnamese coffee - that's an experience you won't forget!

Popped over to France yesterday (lunch and shopping with brother and my sister-in-law) and we all agreed that the French have an over exaggerated reputation for their coffee whereas Spanish coffee is fantástico mind you they're even more biased than me as their son married a Spanish girl.

Vietnamese coffee is great, I often make that at work.

If you mean Vietnamese coffee prepared in a cafe, I would disagree. Too much sugar in the Vietnamese version of a cafe con leche. No comment if you mean Vietnamese coffee beans that you prepare at home.

To each his own, of course.

I've NEVER had a bad cup of coffee in Spain. Perhaps a mite small, but as I will quip... It isn't much but it is ALL COFFEE!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This title brought a smile to my face. My husband and I plan on moving to Spain in the next year. I read several blogs from xpats living there. Yesterday I read one that asked what the xpats (I think mostly Brits and Americans) missed the most. What came up most often was good coffee. I had forgotten all about the wonderful cafe con leches I consumed on the Camino. I’ll have to see if they are as good off the Camino as they were on the Camino. 😏

Oh YES!! Café con Leche por favor. I am afraid I will miss much of this on del Norte. Anyone know the status of café con leche on del Norte? :oops:

Yes, early one morning, in Muxia, served by a woman whose expression was as sour as her vile brew. I subsequently discovered that the locals go to an alternative bar for their first coffee of the day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh YES!! Café con Leche por favor. I am afraid I will miss much of this on del Norte. Anyone know the status of café con leche on del Norte? :oops:
Why..? Don’t tell me there is a shortage of caffeine fixing spots ...??
Might have to change my plans ..😈

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why..? Don’t tell me there is a shortage of caffeine fixing spots ...??
Might have to change my plans ..😈
Well you can always carry some of these with you, methadone to your heroin of choice of course but any port in a storm eh?
Then there's the heating up of the water - a search through these hallowed pages will tell you all you need, maybe more than you need, to know on the subject of heating coils.
Or just go cold turkey on vino tinto o_O

Everyone has different tastes. So whatever coffee you are used to is the benchmark. From St Jean to Burgos this year in April I had good and not so good.
However in June/July this year in the US and Canada good coffee was hard to find. A fact that was evident by a sign outside a coffee shop on the Main Street in Jasper which read ' coffee in this establishment has been approved by the Sydney coffee Police!' Enough said.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That first cafe con leche on a cool, crisp morning after walking 5-6 km? Priceless!!! ❤❤😋
I agree, Bala! One of my most treasured memories from my camino earlier this year was sitting down to cafe con leches and croissants at 9am after walking around 5km with a fellow pilgrim, Karina from Poland - there were no bars open prior. Just before we started to eat Karina exclaimed "Jenny! This is the BEST moment!" ... how true it was!

Lovely thread DevereUx and terrific responses - thanks to all.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

7am?!!!? They had to roust me out of the bunk at 8am so they could close up the albergue (but I soothed my hurt feelings with cafe cortados: the best 5 ounces of coffee in the world!)
Cafe Corrado is ' The Best coffee in the universe, especially first thing in the morning. PS..I love your 'avatar picture'...A very handsome fur baby index....susanawee

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Robbo, we certainly seem to have some of the get coffee in the world here in Australia. We've not sat back on our laurels at all., And our reputation continues to grow. Having written that though, I still recall fondly, the coffee in a tiny little but very local bar at 6am one morning in Genoa, many years ago....nothing has ever syrpassesxtgis one for me. Susanawee.

Lol.lol...absolutely no comparison whatsoever between Spanish Ave Vietnamese coffee!!! Susanawee

Last fall I walked out of Merida on the VdlP in the pre-dawn dark, looking for breakfast at Bar Acueducto, which Kelly's guidebook assured me opened at 6:30 am, 7:30 on Sundays. I was not considering that Oct. 12 was a major holiday in Spain and this was the morning of the 13th. The bar was locked up solid. But, as I walked away, I saw the aquaduct high in the sky on my right. It was still dark, and just below the high point of the centre of the aquaduct burned one bright morning star. I made three unsuccessful attempts to photograph it, but it was obviously meant for storing in my memory, not on my phone. I walked 17 km that day before I could get a coffee, or any breakfast. I don't think that I gave another thought to that. I was much too full.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You know that one is back in the States when the coffee is served in pint glasses with three types of milk from different plant products! And in California specifically when it’s served on ice despite it being the end of October...

For example...D27D7526-2CE0-4D71-B8CD-FEB92FF1E5F5.jpeg

Oh, the joy of a freshly made coffee and a chocolate croissant at 7:00 AM, while it was still dark and cold outside!

I think next time I will take my own Coffee Club extra large cup.

I took too many coffees on my first trip on the CF. So I had to take alternate cups of tea.
Turned out they had it in tiny cups and so had to mime myself into getting a large pitcher of scalding water w a tea bag.
One night a had a dream in my bunk that I had opened a tiny shop called "The Hot Tea Pot".
Once truly awakened by the 6 am rustle & bustle, I went to get my first coffee, naturally.
And I too, never had a bad coffe in Spain, they are lovely , omnipresernt and not expensive...
I take coffee for the taste and the instant recharching of batteries , but take tea for the thirst !!
I wouldn´t mind seeing such a tiny tea shop on the CF where the numbers are high, w/ different teas, bickies and all. Would be a smashing success !

I must confess, I am useless before the caffeine hits the brain in the morning ;-) So, I have always some sachets with instant coffee with me, or, if there is no kitchen in the albergue, buy a coca-cola or similar the day before. That normally gets me to the next open bar and a CAFÉ CON LECHE ;)

Buen Camino, SY

€60,-
I took too many coffees on my first trip on the CF. So I had to take alternate cups of tea.
Turned out they had it in tiny cups and so had to mime myself into getting a large pitcher of scalding water w a tea bag.
One night a had a dream in my bunk that I had opened a tiny shop called "The Hot Tea Pot".
Once truly awakened by the 6 am rustle & bustle, I went to get my first coffee, naturally.
And I too, never had a bad coffe in Spain, they are lovely , omnipresernt and not expensive...
I take coffee for the taste and the instant recharching of batteries , but take tea for the thirst !!
I wouldn´t mind seeing such a tiny tea shop on the CF where the numbers are high, w/ different teas, bickies and all. Would be a smashing success !
You could get @Bristle boy to come over and make the scones.

Robbo, we certainly seem to have some of the get coffee in the world here in Australia. We've not sat back on our laurels at all., And our reputation continues to grow. Having written that though, I still recall fondly, the coffee in a tiny little but very local bar at 6am one morning in Genoa, many years ago....nothing has ever syrpassesxtgis one for me. Susanawee.
"syrpassesxtgis " will be my word of the day and, once I've worked out how to pronounce it, I shall try and work it into a conversation ;)

Everyone has different tastes. So whatever coffee you are used to is the benchmark. From St Jean to Burgos this year in April I had good and not so good.
However in June/July this year in the US and Canada good coffee was hard to find. A fact that was evident by a sign outside a coffee shop on the Main Street in Jasper which read ' coffee in this establishment has been approved by the Sydney coffee Police!' Enough said.
1542975038403.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have to speak up for Jasper water: some of the best in the world, coming straight from the heights of the Rocky Mountains. Blessed are those who get the chance to drink it right out of the streams.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Poor substitute for coffee con leche. See photo above. My husband buys this by the case to ward off the yawns when driving.

I have to speak up for Jasper water: some of the best in the world, coming straight from the heights of the Rocky Mountains. Blessed are those who get the chance to drink it right out of the streams.
One of the bottled waters we get here in the UK says it has filtered down through mountains for over 4500 years. The bottle is then date stamped BBE 2018 :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm in my mid-fifties and I've NEVER been a coffee drinker. Even when pulling all-nighters as a university student to get an assignment done, I never resorted to coffee. Except, I should say, on the Camino where there was cafe con leche (or cafe com leite in Portugal) every day.

There is a wonderful tea and meditation shop in Viana - you can sit there drinking tea and soaking your feet. Magic

Double shots of espresso for me. Loved them on the Camino. Still love them. No Sugar!!! Not sure why they kept trying to push the sugar for the espresso shots.

And some buttered toast. There was a lot of good espresso and almost as much good bread along the trail.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

292.JPG

I must confess, I am useless before the caffeine hits the brain in the morning ;-) So, I have always some sachets with instant coffee with me, or, if there is no kitchen in the albergue, buy a coca-cola or similar the day before. That normally gets me to the next open bar and a CAFÉ CON LECHE ;)

Buen Camino, SY

Exactly!! Actually have found the Starbucks Via's the best for those desperate moments when there ain't no coffee to be had. The ONLY bad coffee in Spain is from the machines. But I still have that just to become legal to move around. It says so right on my license, check blood caffeine levels!! ;)

Ah, but it is the process of making the coffee that is important! That is the part that makes the memories we cherish.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the morning, instead of toast ask for a "croissant de la plancha". They will get one of their massive croissants, slice it horizontally in two, slop on some butter, place the cut side down on the heated grill plate and then put a dinner plate on top to squash them slightly. Ask for some "mermelada de fresa" (strawberry jam) to go with it and enjoy one of life's little luxuries.

Sadly I walked as much as 9 km ( on one or more occasions) to find this elixir of life and those cases I almost always had two just to make up for the early morning deficit.
Wow you seem to enjoy being a Hospitalera... How was Christmas celebration in Zamora last year would you mind sharing that experience? Please also let me know how many Peligrinos were checking in and how many beds was the albergue. Muchas Gracias... Ultrea...

It was a great experience. Only about 12-15 pilgrim's total. One night we had three and other nights none. The albergue has multiple dorms, but we only used one last winter. Great albergue with lots of charm and beautiful views of the river. Lovely town and we had plenty of time for exploring during that more quiet season.

I had the very BEST coffee in Spain, the 'cafe con leche' on the Caminos...make mine a grande, please! In France, I enjoyed the coffee in Paris, but on the Le Puy served in what I call cereal bowls, it didn't compare and was rather disappointing. In Portugal, as a tourist it was rather 'hit and miss'. I go back in April to walk the Portuguese route and am hoping I will find good coffee along the way.
That said, I am a cream and sugar gal, so am not a purist or connisuer...this is all just my personal opinion, but oh, the memories!☺

Coffee was my main focus most mornings , and seems to form the start of most of my camino memories!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked 8 miles one day before I found a cafe open for my first cup of Cafe Americano. 😳

I had the very BEST coffee in Spain, the 'cafe con leche' on the Caminos...make mine a grande, please! In France, I enjoyed the coffee in Paris, but on the Le Puy served in what I call cereal bowls, it didn't compare and was rather disappointing. In Portugal, as a tourist it was rather 'hit and miss'. I go back in April to walk the Portuguese route and am hoping I will find good coffee along the way.
That said, I am a cream and sugar gal, so am not a purist or connisuer...this is all just my personal opinion, but oh, the memories!☺

I hope your experience will be different, Chris, but I have spent a lot of time in Portugal and though I LOVE the people, the towns, the scenery, I have never liked the coffee. I remember one little cafe in Viana do Castelo, probably in 2008, where I had a great "meia leite," but none before or since. This is totally my subjective opinion, and you of course will not be surprised to learn that my Portuguese friends miss their bicas (espresso shot) terribly when they leave home.

Well, Laurie, I always value your opinions based on your many travel experiences, so I'm sure this one is no exception! I'm now quite sure I will most likely not be drinking any great coffee until I cross the border into Spain! Hopefully I will start experiencing the "good stuff" when I set foot in Tui!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One year we took a small termos with us, so that in the sad eventuality of there being no bar in the village that would be open very early, we filled our thermos the night before, so as to at least have a coffee before leaving the Albergue 😉☕

One year we took a small termos with us, so that in the sad eventuality of there being no bar in the village that would be open very early, we filled our thermos the night before, so as to at least have a coffee before leaving the Albergue 😉☕

Dare I once again mention the Electric Coil Club? ;) NOT for anyone walking on the Francés or any other route with tons of peregrinos and frequent cafés, but it may be a real treat (some caffeine addicts might say godsend) on the more solitary caminos. And for the coffee snobs out there, I have been told you can find decent instant coffee, though I just always buy a jar of Nescafé and put it in a little plastic bag.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nged-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/#post-142134.

Coffee from Costa Rica, ready for harvesting. 😊☕

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I scanned this entire thread and saw no mention of what his been called the real secret to Spanish coffee: torrefacto! These beans are sprayed with a sugar solution before they are roasted, giving a caramelized flavor. Torrefacto coffee is readily available in grocery stores there - it’s the one Spanish product that we bring home every time we return from Spain!

I scanned this entire thread and saw no mention of what his been called the real secret to Spanish coffee: torrefacto! These beans are sprayed with a sugar solution before they are roasted, giving a caramelized flavor. Torrefacto coffee is readily available in grocery stores there - it’s the one Spanish product that we bring home every time we return from Spain!

@Gene_781 is that the "mezcla" coffee?

€60,-
Well...now I have a real reason to do another Camino😘😂❤️

No shortage on the Norte in 2017. Usually came with a cookie or tiny muffin.
And, often, the bartender would size us up as Americans with the offer of "Grande?" while holding up a 6 oz cup.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No shortage on the Norte in 2017. Usually came with a cookie or tiny muffin.
And, often, the bartender would size us up as Americans with the offer of "Grande?" while holding up a 6 oz cup.
I always held my arms spread out far apart when ordering while saying "grande"!
And agree, no shortage of good coffee on the Norte!

I scanned this entire thread and saw no mention of what his been called the real secret to Spanish coffee: torrefacto! These beans are sprayed with a sugar solution before they are roasted, giving a caramelized flavor. Torrefacto coffee is readily available in grocery stores there - it’s the one Spanish product that we bring home every time we return from Spain![/QUOTE
Wow, I bought a whole fancy machine with milk frother when I came from our first trip. Now I know why the coffee isn't nearly as good!!!

"syrpassesxtgis " will be my word of the day and, once I've worked out how to pronounce it, I shall try and work it into a conversation ;)
sorry about that word....my tiredness was to blame for poor proofreading.....should have read 'surpassed'

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I my own home town café in oh so expensive Denmark, I am fondly called The Cortado Man, as I praise it highly and often...
Have had a few other customers converted..
We will start a movement...
Will be harder to get them to take a Camino, though...

I loved my first cup of coffee and my second along the Way. Here's a great shot of a shop in Carrion, ready for the morning rush of peregrinoss.

That seems to be the Café Bar España, facing the old walls and the pilgrim statue, in Avenida de los Peregrinos, a very strategic place. I had a good moment there, with the first café con leche (o it was a cortado?) of the morning.

Often when ordering a café con leche in Spain the large amount of milk in the coffee would surprise me. Where I come from we drink about 7 eighths coffee 1 eighth milk. Or an americano with some milk. So I started ordering differently asking for only a little milk. Any advice on how to request this in Spanish. Americano von pocco leche?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here's another fun coffee photo--and I took lots on the Camino. In Salcedo there is a cafe where the barista had fun with the cafe con leche. He made a face of the pilgrim who was ordering the cafe. I found Salcedo to be the town where the locals were having the most fun. He even came around the customer side of the counter and pretended he was ordering a cafe.

Attachments

• IMG_8088.JPG
    IMG_8088.JPG
    874.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8092.JPG
    IMG_8092.JPG
    935.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8093.JPG
    IMG_8093.JPG
    919.5 KB · Views: 18
I agree, Bala! One of my most treasured memories from my camino earlier this year was sitting down to cafe con leches and croissants at 9am after walking around 5km with a fellow pilgrim, Karina from Poland - there were no bars open prior. Just before we started to eat Karina exclaimed "Jenny! This is the BEST moment!" ... how true it was!

Lovely thread DevereUx and terrific responses - thanks to all.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
Was my favorite time of the day, too. Second breakfast. And the hardest decision was whether to get a plain croissant, or one with chocolate in the middle...

Attachments

• IMG_7736.JPG
    IMG_7736.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Gene_781 is that the "mezcla" coffee?

"Mezcla" it is. I know there are 30% and 50% torrefacto mixtures. Also available descafeinado. I've always bought the 50%, figuring that more is better. The image here is the Corte Inglés product but it's not the only one. La Tienda has it but pricey - unless you simply *have* to have it!Cafe torrefacto.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.