• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino coffee

Often when ordering a café con leche in Spain the large amount of milk in the coffee would surprise me. Where I come from we drink about 7 eighths coffee 1 eighth milk. Or an americano with some milk. So I started ordering differently asking for only a little milk. Any advice on how to request this in Spanish. Americano von pocco leche?
The first one in the morning is Café con Leche, a balm of coffee and hot milk that is kissing me good morning ! -
the rest of the day smaller shots of Café Cortado gives me a welcoming jolt of energy when I have a drinking pause,
Never had it so good but in Spain..!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don’t you have coffee like that your country? :eek:

Sadly...not often. The USA has lots of great "stuff" but great and plentiful coffee bars is not one of them. Lots of small independent coffee shops here and there, but really hard to find one of those "stand-at-the-bar-and-sip" coffee bars like in Southern Europe. Maybe it's the whole "action" thing, where they so naturally whack out the old grounds in the bin, grind and press the new ones, then crank the portafilter hard into place and hit the button that dribbles that beautiful nectar into the very dinky cup, throw a sugar packet and spoon onto the saucer...and don't ask for payment until you've finished! Heaven in motion! Starbucks...NOT!!

"Mezcla" it is. I know there are 30% and 50% torrefacto mixtures. Also available descafeinado. I've always bought the 50%, figuring that more is better. The image here is the Corte Inglés product but it's not the only one. La Tienda has it but pricey - unless you simply *have* to have it!View attachment 49493
"Serving suggestion" . . . put it in a cup! Who'd have thought it?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My most memorable cup of coffee was finding somewhere open very early in the morning after" the night from hell" About dark a load of young people arrived and had their fun well into the night - noise, lights, etc. Next morning I got up early after having very little sleep and headed out in the dark. The guy from the bunk across from me was sitting outside yawning and when I got down the hill and found a place open I was thinking of yelling that the coffee was on. Hoping it would wake up the young folks, but didn't as it was in the middle a small village. That coffee kept me going until the breakfast stop.

The first one in the morning is Café con Leche, a balm of coffee and hot milk that is kissing me good morning ! -
the rest of the day smaller shots of Café Cortado gives me a welcoming jolt of energy when I have a drinking pause,
Never had it so good but in Spain..!
Thanks! To get less milk I'll try Cafe Cortado- is that a regular size? For us about 250ml?

you see, they will ask you - so please indicate mug size down to cup size.
Miming is essential when proficiency in Spanish i s wanting, like in my case..
Locals will even prefer down to thimble size, and then it is strong !- and good...

I excercised a little training & evaluation and went for less and less in size...

And - please remember to call it Café Cortado - the time I forgot the full description, the barman threw a cutlery knife onto the counter, indicating I cut it myself !!

It appears the term cortado is the tip of the strength cut off, to a happy medium I would say !!
Enjoy... and be hooked forever !!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.