• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Costal in May 2016

AgaG

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese - May 2016
Hello
I will walk my first Camino this May and although I am very excited and optimistic that nothing bad will happen, after reading some posts regarding solo woman traveling, I have some doubts if this is a good idea.
Anyone who did costal route last year could please share their experience ? I know, that it is generally safe on Camino but Portuguese route is not that busy therefore maybe less safe?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Together with my wife I walked the caminho da Costa in May 2015.
From Viana do Castelo so not the f ull start from Porto. We did that before in 2013 .

The Coastal is quiet but I expect more pilgrims walking in May that route .
When we walked there was only a handfull .
I should not advise a woman alone to walk from A Guarda to Mougas. You walk around a mountain far from any urban area. Not that anything happened but...in case .
If I were you I should walk with others for that specific part, about 5 kms of length.
You know before who is going that way long before and you always can decide to follow the central route if you doubt, even in Caminha where instead of taking the ferry to a Guarda walk to Valença and follow the central route from there.
Other option is take public transport or a taxi from a Guarda to Oia where is a hotel or Mougas where is an albergue.
The coastal is safe but special that part you could feel very lonesome.

See an impression of that part. after the crossing of the river Minho is a Guarda.
Very nice caminho by the way !
Bom caminho

Hello
I will walk my first Camino this May and although I am very excited and optimistic that nothing bad will happen, after reading some posts regarding solo woman traveling, I have some doubts if this is a good idea.
Anyone who did costal route last year could please share their experience ? I know, that it is generally safe on Camino but Portuguese route is not that busy therefore maybe less safe?

Hello. I am walking the coastal route from Porto on/about 27 May. What dates are you looking at? Also single female..Bye. Mel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello
I am also walking my first Camino in May as a solo female really want to do the Portuguese coastal route but have heard its very quiet. I m from Wales.

Thank you so much Albertinho. Very helpful advise about A Guarda part. I will try to find some company or take a bus as you said.

@ Julie - I fly to Porto on 14th May and start walking the next day. I hope to arrive in Santiago on 29th and fly back to London on 30th. What dates did you have in mind? Anywhere near mines?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the coast until Caminha then to Valenca and the central route in May, 2014. I was told that there were big groups of people a day ahead or behind me, but I did not meet another northbound pilgrim until Valenca. I had no concerns about my safety as a solo female walker...outside of a few narrow streets with cars.

Hi
My female partner and I are walking the coastal route starting from Lisboa in the last week of April 2016 & should be in the Porto region by early/mid May. We would like to meet up with any other peregrinos who would like company.

Hello
That is exactly my plan for my spring walk. Alone from O'Porto to Santiago and then Fisterra and Muxia. Read up on Spains and Europe's 911 system, attach a whistle to the front of your backpack and just pay attention to your surroundings as you would at home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello :) I am walking the coastal route from Porto to Santiago Sept 19 to Oct 8. What is the weather like? Should I book train/ bus from Santiago before I leave? Thank you

Hello :) I am walking the coastal route from Porto to Santiago Sept 19 to Oct 8. What is the weather like? Should I book train/ bus from Santiago before I leave? Thank you
The weather ... It may rain ,may shine.you never know in the north of Portugal. Be prepared for the worst.

There is no need to reserve the bus on beforehand.
As you arrive in Santiago you can book at the tourist information or go to the busstation and buy your ticket there. Mind the busstation is a 20 minutes walk from the Santiago cathedral.

Hello. I am walking the coastal route from Porto on/about 27 May. What dates are you looking at? Also single female..Bye. Mel

I too am a solo single woman and will be leaving porto on May 27th! I'm really looking forward to the journey. I'm flyign back home to London from Santiago on the 7th of June.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I too am a solo single woman and will be leaving porto on May 27th! I'm really looking forward to the journey. I'm flyign back home to London from Santiago on the 7th of June.

Hello Keys. I am also leaving Porto on 27 May on the Coastal Route. Perhaps I will see you on the way. Mel

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back