• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino countdown

Louise D

Time of past OR future Camino
3 days in March 2020
Hi, my husband & I are finally starting the Camino Frances on June 22nd from SJPP - only able to do the first 100 miles in around 8 days, but hope to get back out in October to continue …. One question that’s probably been asked many times… what weight of backpack should we be carrying bearing in mind we’re only away 10 nights - is 30l enough?

Thanks
Louise

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A common question and one that's hard to answer.
I would say Yes, just. (I use a 34L) But it depends on........

1. Type of accommodation being used. (i.e. will you be taking a sleeping bag?)
  2. Any extras you might carry (meds, cpap machines, cameras. electronic do dads!)
  3. If you are packing light re clothes. i.e. wear a set, and just carry one spare set.
This is what I cram into a 34L pack to give you an idea of what can be squeezed in

A common question and one that's hard to answer.
I would say Yes, just. (I use a 34L) But it depends on........

1. Type of accommodation being used. (i.e. will you be taking a sleeping bag?)
  2. Any extras you might carry (meds, cpap machines, cameras. electronic do dads!)
  3. If you are packing light re clothes. i.e. wear a set, and just carry one spare set.
This is what I cram into a 34L pack to give you an idea of what can be squeezed in

Thanks for all the info… really helpful 👍🏻

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, my husband & I are finally starting the Camino Frances on June 22nd from SJPP - only able to do the first 100 miles in around 8 days, but hope to get back out in October to continue …. One question that’s probably been asked many times… what weight of backpack should we be carrying bearing in mind we’re only away 10 nights - is 30l enough?

Thanks
Louise
With the caveat that 30L is a measure of volume rather than weight, 30L was enough for me on a substantially longer Camino. I expect it would be large enough for you, since you aren't walking in winter with a need to carry more substantial clothing.

In terms of what weight you should be carrying, ten days or thirty days is much the same, since you are re-using everything again and again. The general answer is a guideline to carry not more than 10% of your body weight. I'm not so sure I agree with that, since it seems to imply that heavy people carry more and lighter people less. I'm not sure that putting on 10 kg of weight magically gives one the ability to carry an extra kilo in the backpack. Rather, I would advise carrying as little as possible, keeping in mind that shops in Spain are good and plentiful.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.