Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Covid survey

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I have received this request from Gabriel... I am posting this here and I hope that you have time to complete his survey:

I am a high school senior in Durham, North Carolina, and this survey is for my senior project.

Over the past two summers, I traveled from St. Jean Pied de Port to Castrojeriz with a former teacher of mine and a group of friends from Pilgrims Journey who pushed and pulled me in a special trekking chair. This experience has been life-changing for me, as I have cerebral palsy and cannot walk independently.

My goal is to explore the effects of COVID-19 on the Camino de Santiago, especially as it relates to the experience of pilgrims and those who support them along the Way. Your feedback will provide important information in my research and is greatly appreciated.

(If any questions do not apply to you or your experiences, then you can leave them blank or write N/A.)

Thank you for taking the time to complete my survey!

Gabriel

Survey:

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés febr/march (2012)
Camino Francés febr/march (2019)
Camino Francés febr/march (2020)
Good points. Did it

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'CP, Frances,Norte,Salv/prim;Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, Vdlp 2019>Táb/ Prt Levante 2020
Gabriel
I enjoyed completing your survey. Glad to help and good luck for a successful project.
Annie

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Good luck with your research...done!

David with new Kit!

Camino(s) past & future
CF September (2019) SJPP to Logrono
CF May/June (2020) Logrono to ? (Delayed).
Great survey, all good questions - Good luck with your project👍

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Frances
(2018) Portuguese
(2019) VdP Seville to Salamanca
(2020) VdP Salamanca to Santiago
Very well thought out survey for a graduate student, let alone a high school student.

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Much better-written than most questionnaires I have seen. You might want to give more precision on geographical origins. I think that you would have found that US and Canadian responses would have been different enough to have justified dividing them; and a question on religious affiliation might have provided useful info. I can't recall if you gave m/f/other distinctions, but on my last two Caminos I have run into individuals identifying as non-binary, and this is a development which might be interesting to track.

But overall, a very creditable piece of work.

Leigh Lorayne

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino del Norte Irun to Ribadasella (2016)
Camino Primitivo Oviedo to Santiago (2016)
I enjoyed thinking about my Camino and the future through your questions which I, too, thought were excellent and very insightful. Best wishes, Gabriel, on your project.

Yoyo

➜ I'd rather be walking ➜
Camino(s) past & future
2017: CF 800 km
2019: CF 180 km
I enjoyed answering your survey, Gabriel.
I thought it was great that you allowed for open, personal answers as opposed to the usual multiple-choice-only surveys (where so often I feel that none of the options given really fits me).
Good luck with your project!

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
Much better-written than most questionnaires I have seen. You might want to give more precision on geographical origins. I think that you would have found that US and Canadian responses would have been different enough to have justified dividing them; and a question on religious affiliation might have provided useful info. I can't recall if you gave m/f/other distinctions, but on my last two Caminos I have run into individuals identifying as non-binary, and this is a development which might be interesting to track.

Re: Non binary people on the Camino. I did notice that the survey was not limited to the gender binary. (I do look for these things. :))

Kevin Malinak

-kevin-
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, St Jean PdP, March 18 (2018)
Gabriel, Thank you for doing this, You have great questions in your survey.

Kevin Malinak

-kevin-
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, St Jean PdP, March 18 (2018)
I've been wanting to ask this question ever since i saw it on the questionnaire when at the pilgrim office in Santiago... but never have.
What is the difference between "Religious" reasons and "Spiritual" reasons? for walking the Camino.
(I had thought they were pretty much the same thing)
Blessings, -kevin-

Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
I've always assumed (and yes I know that joke) that Religious referred to a Catholic pilgrimage undertaken within the tenets of the Church while Spiritual encompasses those from other churches & religions, including old pagans like me, who undertake a pilgrimage to the shrine of Santiago the Apostle. Even if my pious journey is to the end-of-the-world I never fail to pay my respects to one who may have touched the divine.

Pilgrim Patricia

Want to do the VdlP again!
Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata; Hospitalera Miraz 2011
You might want to give more precision on geographical origins. I think that you would have found that US and Canadian responses would have been different enough to have justified dividing them

Most of us make the same mistake when using the term "North America" in that we forget that Mexico is also part of the continent. So @oursonpolaire, while your suggestion is a good one, the geographical distinction could have been broken down even further.

Jack L

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from SJPP - October (2017)
Camino Frances from SJPP - October (2021)
Great questions! Completed it today

Pilgrim Patricia

Want to do the VdlP again!
Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata; Hospitalera Miraz 2011
Loved your survey, Gabriel! You obviously put a lot of thought into it.
I solved the "problem" of having only North America as an option (I'm Canadian). I chose "other" and typed in Canada.

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Most of us make the same mistake when using the term "North America" in that we forget that Mexico is also part of the continent. So @oursonpolaire, while your suggestion is a good one, the geographical distinction could have been broken down even further.
North America is a problematic term to begin with (I once had a Mexican academic tell me that Mexicans were North American, but were not norteamericano), and the geographical question in the survey is one I would have done very differently. I made that suggestion as a starter, as Mexican numbers are not (yet) high on the Camino, but Canadian and US numbers are, and owing to the much higher proportion of RCs in the Canadian cohort as opposed to the US, I thought that the responses would have varied sufficiently for the distinction.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
North America is a problematic term to begin with (I once had a Mexican academic tell me that Mexicans were North American, but were not norteamericano), and the geographical question in the survey is one I would have done very differently. I made that suggestion as a starter, as Mexican numbers are not (yet) high on the Camino, but Canadian and US numbers are, and owing to the much higher proportion of RCs in the Canadian cohort as opposed to the US, I thought that the responses would have varied sufficiently for the distinction.
When I was living in Spain, I was also told that Canadians are not norteamericano. In Spanish, the word is specific to the USA. Canadians are canadiense. If I suggested that "North American" refers to the whole continent as opposed to "American" which just refers to the country, they replied that americano refers to anyone from the Americas while norteamericano is specific to the one country. So each language uses a term for the people of the USA that is too broad in the eyes of the other language.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
M Announcements 5
Raymond Aquilina Announcements 15
Madeleine Jacobs Announcements 4
Luka Announcements 133
jirit Announcements 4

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock