• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Days - Part 2

BrienC

Author of Camino Child
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Francés, VDLP, Norte
2022: Portuguese
Rising: The day begins, senses dull from the previous day’s exertion, perhaps an hour before good light. Eyes held closed as long as possible as other walkers of the Camino are heard nearby, rustling through bags, dressing, finding a lost whatever. Each morning starts the same. This fight to put off the inevitable. Putting off the effort to get up from the bunk, wriggling out of the sleeping bag and finding your backpack, digging around for those clothes that smell the least. Then grabbing toothbrush and toothpaste to seek out water and become at least a semblance of human, presentable and hygienic. Only a half hour has passed, it seems forever in slow motion, dressing, primping, repacking for the day, and worst of all, strapping on those dreaded trail shoes before leaving the albergue. Another day begins.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Rising: The day begins, senses dull from the previous day’s exertion, perhaps an hour before good light. Eyes held closed as long as possible as other walkers of the Camino are heard nearby, rustling through bags, dressing, finding a lost whatever. Each morning starts the same. This fight to put off the inevitable. Putting off the effort to get up from the bunk, wriggling out of the sleeping bag and finding your backpack, digging around for those clothes that smell the least. Then grabbing toothbrush and toothpaste to seek out water and become at least a semblance of human, presentable and hygienic. Only a half hour has passed, it seems forever in slow motion, dressing, primping, repacking for the day, and worst of all, strapping on those dreaded trail shoes before leaving the albergue. Another day begins.
I can handle the wriggle-finding-digging-teeth brushing bit, that what a pilgrim does. It's the pre-dawn stumble/fumble-plastic bag rustling-headlamp flashing-creaky door to the toilets things that pilgrim do that depress me. A semblance of human, presentable and hygienic??? Despite efforts, I usually end up in Santiago mistaken for the Wild Man of Borneo - don't let it bother you.

I liked to get up and make a cup of coffee and watch everyone try to get out as early as possible. We tried walking early one day and ended up backtracking so the coffee and pack and wait for first light. Easy and comfortable and lots of fun. We arrived in Santiago refreshed and had a perfect dinner at a wonderful restaurant close to the cathedral and all was right with the world.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When we started our camino, we got up early, etc....but as time went on, we weren't in any hurry and oftentimes we were the last out of the albergue at eight bells!! There were many people who would leave in the dark but we only did this one time when we left San Juan de Ortega and used our headlamp to guide the way and once we were on our way in the dark, we almost literally walked into a stray cow!! Lol....such fun!! I was quite amazed at how quiet some folks could be though....and didn't hear a thing.

That doesn't sound too good, to a wanna be pilgrim doing her planning. I hope my natural love of mornings will pull my bum out of bed and help me get excited for the journey of discovery ahead. Please tell me your day gets better, or it might make more sense for me to donate my travel money to a good cause and just stay home.:confused:

That doesn't sound too good, to a wanna be pilgrim doing her planning. I hope my natural love of mornings will pull my bum out of bed and help me get excited for the journey of discovery ahead. Please tell me your day gets better, or it might make more sense for me to donate my travel money to a good cause and just stay home.:confused:
It always gets better. Wait for it (this is only Part 2).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Words are not enough to describe the beauty of the Camino, you will not regret it. The days get better.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back