• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Costa Rica

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I just learned about this new route in Costa Rica. It's a 280 km village to village trail from the Atlantic to the Pacific. They have it divided into 16 stages, but some are short and could probably be combined. Since most tourism in Costa Rica is on the coasts and it seems that one of the goals of this trail is to bring more commerce into the small interior villages.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Trecile!
I thought wow my daughter and son have Costa Rica firmly in their sights as a final destination on their travels;when allowed!
My daughter hopes to teach English there.
So i listened to the info here (https://ticotimes.net/2019/06/19/letters-from-the-trail-hiking-the-camino-de-costa-rica-part-1) ; thinking i would have a go if they move there.
But i think it sounds intense but it does have an infrastructure in place to accommodate each stage!
Would i even be able to consider it; massive question mark here?
I haven't put one foot on the Portuguese yet and i think that's a challenge;let alone the Jungle!
But it screams adventure! (but i suppose i do have to be rational)
But one day who knows;i'm still stupid enough to think about it !
This is some info:
El Camino is two weeks and 280 kms long.
During the hike, you climb and descend 17,000 ft.
For every one degree of climb from the horizontal, walking becomes 5% more difficult.
It is the only Camino that crosses a continent.
More people have summited Mount Everest than have hiked the entire Camino de Costa Rica.
El Camino crosses through seven of Costa Rica’s 11 microclimates.
Woody

It's always nice to hear of new walking adventures, but I personally would avoid this one. Costa Rica has a hot, tropical climate being located near the equator, not to mention a lot of rain; add to that lots of insects and mosquitos.
It could, however, be nice for a week or two as a beach vacation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's always nice to hear of new walking adventures, but I personally would avoid this one. Costa Rica has a hot, tropical climate being located near the equator, not to mention a lot of rain; add to that lots of insects and mosquitos.
Add in snakes!!

I just learned about this new route in Costa Rica. It's a 280 km village to village trail from the Atlantic to the Pacific. They have it divided into 16 stages, but some are short and could probably be combined. Since most tourism in Costa Rica is on the coasts and it seems that one of the goals of this trail is to bring more commerce into the small interior villages.

Sounds amazing. Similar to walking NZ except we have no snakes etc

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Would love to hear more about this.

Yep. It's definitely hot.

Hi I am 70 years old and just did el Camino de Costa Rica. It was wonderful! It was December- January. Sunny and breezy but it does get humid during about 4 sections in the months of May through November. You do climb cumulative about 9,000 meters but it’s nicely designed to be doable. I was filled with joy doing it!
Must do it with a guide fir now. Eventually with more hikers on it, can be done in small groups without guide. Lots of nice lodges!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just completed the Camino de Costa Rica at age 70! It was great! Highly recommend it. December through April not so hot and humid. And in the other months only 4 of the 16 are hot and humid. It’s nicely designed so the climbs are doable. I am no athlete and I managed it. It was really a wonderful experience. The people are so caring and the lodges were empty because of COVID. The views and flora and fauna fabulous.

Yes it’s a route through communities that don’t get tourists and any hiker brings some income to a rural family. Lovely people the “Ticos”

Hi Trecile!
I thought wow my daughter and son have Costa Rica firmly in their sights as a final destination on their travels;when allowed!
My daughter hopes to teach English there.
So i listened to the info here (https://ticotimes.net/2019/06/19/letters-from-the-trail-hiking-the-camino-de-costa-rica-part-1) ; thinking i would have a go if they move there.
But i think it sounds intense but it does have an infrastructure in place to accommodate each stage!
Would i even be able to consider it; massive question mark here?
I haven't put one foot on the Portuguese yet and i think that's a challenge;let alone the Jungle!
But it screams adventure! (but i suppose i do have to be rational)
But one day who knows;i'm still stupid enough to think about it !
This is some info:
El Camino is two weeks and 280 kms long.
During the hike, you climb and descend 17,000 ft.
For every one degree of climb from the horizontal, walking becomes 5% more difficult.
It is the only Camino that crosses a continent.
More people have summited Mount Everest than have hiked the entire Camino de Costa Rica.
El Camino crosses through seven of Costa Rica’s 11 microclimates.
Woody
I just completed it but took 19 days to do it so I could enjoy the local culture. I am 70 years old and not an athlete, so if I can do it anyone can do it. I walked 4 hours a day just like when I did Compostela in 2011.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the information about this great new Central American trail!

Guided tours are usually too pricey for my solo backpacker budget - so I will wait until there are GPS tracks available and it is permitted to walk independently.

I've had fantastic past experiences backpacked and tenting in the Costa Rican jungles. So wild and exciting! I met a tapir chillaxing beside my tent one night. 😍 However, for this route, I'd definitely support homestay options rather than lugging my camping gear.

Hi I am 70 years old and just did el Camino de Costa Rica. It was wonderful! It was December- January. Sunny and breezy but it does get humid during about 4 sections in the months of May through November. You do climb cumulative about 9,000 meters but it’s nicely designed to be doable. I was filled with joy doing it!
Must do it with a guide fir now. Eventually with more hikers on it, can be done in small groups without guide. Lots of nice lodges!
Conchita Espino can you share more information?
Images maybe, who your guides were etc...
This interest me, guides are not necessarily my thing but there might be some more stand offish than others, allowing you your space.
Would love to know more!
Thanks,
Neve

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's a 280 km village to village trail from the Atlantic to the Pacific. They have it divided into 16 stages, but some are short and could probably be combined.
Wow - this is great to know about. Thanks @trecile for the information and @Conchita Espino for giving us the details of your experience. I see from the trail website that the tracks are on Wikiloc. They include some photos to give an idea of the terrain.
Entire route:

Two specific stages:

I am 70 years old and I completed this route, albeit in 19 days. It rained half a day one day and only the 2 Caribbean sections were hot and humid. It was an exhilarating experience! I am associate with the group that developed the route so I can confirm it is an experience most hikers have thoroughly enjoyed. It is challenging because of the elevation changes but there are plenty of places to rest. It is important to study the route and plan where you are going to stay ahead of time.

Hello, after you have done the many beautiful Camino de Compostela routes and are looking forward something in the Americas, please consider El Camino de Costa Rica. It’s new, you’d be a pioneer. It is not yet well marked so you must study the Wikiloc trace and have a garmin and speak Spanish. It’s best to hire one of the local guide group to take a small group of friends.
Two sections of the 16 are hot and humid but most of it the weather can vary between 65F to 75F. Except in November early morning treks are rain free. At the high point 2,400 meters you need a good wind breaker and a sweater. There is a part at the river Pacuare delta where you go on a “ lancha”, canal boat. You travel later through indigenous territory and can sleep in one of the villages. There are a wide range of lodging, water is safe to drink most places and food readily available. There are many isolated parts though. Not good for tent pitching or solo hiking. Go with 3-4 friends.
There is lots of information on the website
www.caminodecostarica.org
Pura Vida!

Attachments

• 41244E9B-A462-4C6C-AFA7-BA6E3A866B04.jpeg
    41244E9B-A462-4C6C-AFA7-BA6E3A866B04.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 0C24977F-F8D6-4ABF-8AA6-282F4E45656E.jpeg
    0C24977F-F8D6-4ABF-8AA6-282F4E45656E.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This interest me, guides are not necessarily my thing but there might be some more stand offish than others, allowing you your space.
Would love to know more!
Thanks,
Neve
that’s a video and very general but on the website www.caminodecostarica.org there is lists of useful information. Happy 2022.

Attachments

• 583BD6BF-0C67-4254-9904-AADAF0285D3B.jpeg
    583BD6BF-0C67-4254-9904-AADAF0285D3B.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
  • E7D19200-6BB4-4CF4-9E4E-5A4689877C65.jpeg
    E7D19200-6BB4-4CF4-9E4E-5A4689877C65.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 11F8B338-09FC-41F7-80A5-DEC5EE6FF53A.jpeg
    11F8B338-09FC-41F7-80A5-DEC5EE6FF53A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Would love to know more!
Thanks,
Neve
Neve the guides are young Costaricans that really are there to help you when you need it and are not intrusive. Costa Rican’s are for the most part very polite and somewhat shy and not at all intrusive.
I would recommend a group called UrriTrek and their contact person is called Andrés Meneses you can write to him at reserve@urritrek.com their groups are usually 4-5 people. They have one guide called Juancho who is a talented amateur naturalist photographer. He sees stuff I’ve never in my life thought could exist, mushrooms that look like corals and multicolored insects.

When I was a young man during the 1970s I lived for two years in San Jose and was able to take many day hikes and also do some independent treks in Costa Rica's mountains. Sometimes I'd stay in small town hotels and on other occasions I would either spend a night in an improvised home stay arrangement or sleep out in the woods under a plastic tarp. Conchita is right that Ticos are very friendly and welcoming!

One of my treks took me along about 20 miles (32 K) of trails and back roads that are now part of the "Camino de Costa Rica" (Quepos to Napoles), followed by another 20 miles (32 K) paralleling the Camino's route. (My Napoles to El Jardin walk went thru San Marcos instead of San Pablo). It's wonderful that hiking in that area is being promoted.

Unlike Spain, the USA, and Mexico, Costa Rica is fully tropical, with no seasonal variation in temperature. So, along its coasts and on the adjoining lowland plains there is no temperate time of year; it is always brutally hot there. But life is very pleasant up the mountains. Cooler San Jose at 1.000 meters (3,000 feet) elevation has a wonderful climate all year long. It is usually clear there all day during the December to April dry season, with daily wet season rains typically not occurring until mid or late afternoon. So, if possible visit Costa Rica during the northern hemisphere's winter.

And, if you want to avoid the worst heat, skip the first part of the Camino de Costa Rica, from the Atlantic coast. Family responsibilities currently prevent me from hiking the Camino de Costa Rica, but if in the future I am able to do so I would not start at the Atlantic but instead begin my westward trek at the town of Cimarrones. Shortly after that I would hire a local guide to take me through the Nairi Awari Indigenous Reserve. Both law and local conditions (formidable mountain rain forest; respect for the privacy, cultural integrity and land rights of Native-Americans) dictate that hikers travel with a guide through that 12 miles (18 K) of the Camno de Costa Rica. I doubt that I (or other adventuresome people possessing some Spanish fluency and a bit of map reading ability) would necessarily need guides for any subsequent parts of the Camino.

I Like Evan Brashier's detailed "El Camino de Costa Rica Hiking Guide" which was published last year, in 2021. Chris Daniel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I was a young man during the 1970s I lived for two years in San Jose and was able to take many day hikes and also do some independent treks in Costa Rica's mountains. Sometimes I'd stay in small town hotels and on other occasions I would either spend a night in an improvised home stay arrangement or sleep out in the woods under a plastic tarp. Conchita is right that Ticos are very friendly and welcoming!

One of my treks took me along about 20 miles (32 K) of trails and back roads that are now part of the "Camino de Costa Rica" (Quepos to Napoles), followed by another 20 miles (32 K) paralleling the Camino's route. (My Napoles to El Jardin walk went thru San Marcos instead of San Pablo). It's wonderful that hiking in that area is being promoted.

Unlike Spain, the USA, and Mexico, Costa Rica is fully tropical, with no seasonal variation in temperature. So, along its coasts and on the adjoining lowland plains there is no temperate time of year; it is always brutally hot there. But life is very pleasant up the mountains. Cooler San Jose at 1.000 meters (3,000 feet) elevation has a wonderful climate all year long. It is usually clear there all day during the December to April dry season, with daily wet season rains typically not occurring until mid or late afternoon. So, if possible visit Costa Rica during the northern hemisphere's winter.

And, if you want to avoid the worst heat, skip the first part of the Camino de Costa Rica, from the Atlantic coast. Family responsibilities currently prevent me from hiking the Camino de Costa Rica, but if in the future I am able to do so I would not start at the Atlantic but instead begin my westward trek at the town of Cimarrones. Shortly after that I would hire a local guide to take me through the Nairi Awari Indigenous Reserve. Both law and local conditions (formidable mountain rain forest; respect for the privacy, cultural integrity and land rights of Native-Americans) dictate that hikers travel with a guide through that 12 miles (18 K) of the Camno de Costa Rica. I doubt that I (or other adventuresome people possessing some Spanish fluency and a bit of map reading ability) would necessarily need guides for any subsequent parts of the Camino.

I Like Evan Brashier's detailed "El Camino de Costa Rica Hiking Guide" which was published last year, in 2021. Chris Daniel
Very good advice!

Solo hikers and couples are starting to do the route this year. Since it’s fairly isolated snd stays are in small cabins and tent camps it works well in spite of COVID.
Studying Evan’s guide book and the Wikiloc digital trace and using WhatsApp to contact the lodging alternatives a few days ahead of time seems to work. Not good for a pitching your tent type experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back