• In case you had not seen it, there is a new link in the top menu to the most popular contents on the forum from the last 90 days, 1 year and all the way from the beginning in 2004.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino de Invierno Backpack Transfer

2020 Camino Guides

StFina

Camino(s) past & future
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
Does anyone know if backpack transfers are available on the Camino de Invierno? Seems like Jacotrans and others concentrate on the Camino Frances. I am having shoulder surgery this week, and carrying a pack in April might be problematic. Much thanks - Steve

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
Steven, Billy says he’ll carry your stuff. It’s still less weight than he carried as a Ranger. Seriously. I’m looking at possible rotator cuff surgery in the future too, but not anytime soon. Quite the pair we are :)

Jim McMurtrie

Camino(s) past & future
Frances April-May 2018
Frances September-October 2019
I came across a spanish websit that listed correos bag transfers along the inverno. I can't seem to locate it at this moment but yes correos does cover the inverno

StFina

Camino(s) past & future
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
Correos confirmed this morning that they do not cover the Invierno. Oh well........

Assuming I can't find a way to carry my stuff in a waist bag, Billy may be my mule. On my last Camino, everything I took weighed less than 5 pounds. I am looking to trim that weight even further. We can make a decision a week or two out. Much thanks to all for the input.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
correos bring your pack Mondays to Fridays but not in weekends or other public holydays on the Invierno. I used them for some of my days on the Invierno in May. You can't book it on the website but if you mail them you can book via mail and prepay by bank.

peregrina2000

Staff member
correos bring your pack Mondays to Fridays but not in weekends or other public holydays on the Invierno. I used them for some of my days on the Invierno in May. You can't book it on the website but if you mail them you can book via mail and prepay by bank.
WOW, that is great news, @ranthr. So glad you were able to clear that up. I will definitely make this item my first entry in my folder for "Invierno 2019 guide revisions."

OOPS, when I went to start this folder on my word processor, I realized that the 2019 guide was just published. I should have said that these are the first notes for the 2020 guide revisions!

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Via de la Plata 2011
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
WOW, that is great news, @ranthr. So glad you were able to clear that up. I will definitely make this item my first entry in my folder for "Invierno 2019 guide revisions."

OOPS, when I went to start this folder on my word processor, I realized that the 2019 guide was just published. I should have said that these are the first notes for the 2020 guide revisions!
I mailed and asked since I did not find this camino on their packmochila web site. I used them all possible days, and one Saturday Ean offered to bring my bp to Chantada. Correos might of course have changed it this year, but they usually do not start until March except for the last part of Camino Francés, so it is best to mail them. I have used Correos twice and it has worked very well. In both cases I booked and paid ahead, sending a list of my places to stay. I made changes too and that worked well to.

intrepidtraveler

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
Correos confirmed this morning that they do not cover the Invierno. Oh well........

Assuming I can't find a way to carry my stuff in a waist bag, Billy may be my mule. On my last Camino, everything I took weighed less than 5 pounds. I am looking to trim that weight even further. We can make a decision a week or two out. Much thanks to all for the input.
Less than 5lbs.? Any chance you would post your packing list? Always interested in ways to lighten the load.

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno

That's what best friends are for :)
Between the two of us we got you covered. Plenty of room in our packs and I'm only carrying about 5kg plus water.

peregrina2000

Staff member

So, here we have two different answers to the same question. Ranthr and StFiina, how did you communicate with correos? Ranthr, you say that “if you mail them you can book via mail...” is this “snail mail” or “email”? I am assuming the latter, but since StFina got a different answer, just wondering what is going on.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Via de la Plata 2011
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
paqmochila@correos.com +34 683440022
I think the phonenumber is a Santiagonumber. I had one call and they spoke English, but I think it is easier to email.

ritescot

Veteran member since 2011
Camino(s) past & future
Sept. 27 to Oct. 25, 2017, first part Frances; Fall 2016, Via de la Plata; 2013 & 2010, Frances,

Hi, Steve
I would be stunned to hear that there is backpack transfer on the Invierno. The one possibility I checked out was Correos, the Spanish postal system. I have never used this service, but I walked the Primitivo with several people who used it off and on and they were very happy about it. Maybe there is a camino on this list that you haven’t walked. But they don-t appear to serve the Invierno. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/transporte-mochilas

I think taxis are the only option and that would probably be do-able because there are enough places along the Invierno likely to have taxis. It would be expensive, though, at least one euro a km.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery and hope you work your way back to full Camino form! Buen camino,Laurie
For future reference, Correos told me in June that they do transport on the Invierno, but only on week days. No transport on weekends. I used Correos last fall on the Frances, and was very satisfied.

I am walking the Invierno in September/October, after starting in St. Jean, and skipping the middle of the Frances. I plan to use Correos, and hope to find other transport for Saturday and Sunday. My knees do OK without a pack, but will not hold up carrying a pack. I discovered that in 2016 on the Via de la Plata.

I will read the other comments to see if there are other ideas offered. I can consider taxi, but would rather find other transport on weekends.

ritescot

Camino(s) past & future
Sept. 27 to Oct. 25, 2017, first part Frances; Fall 2016, Via de la Plata; 2013 & 2010, Frances,
The reason you were told Correos did not cover the Invierno must have been because of the time of year. When I e-mailed in June, I was told they do it until Oct. 31, but only on weekdays. But I don't know when they start.

Last edited:

ritescot

Camino(s) past & future
I don’t think that’s right. If you go to the link in my post above, https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/transporte-mochilas you will see that they offer it on the Frances, Norte, Portugues (coastal and interior) and Primitivo.

I think the confusion may come from the fact that their website does provide info on stages for a larger number of caminos, including the Mozarabe and Invierno, but they don’t offer the “paq mochila” service for them. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/los-caminos-de-santiago
I got it right from the horse's mouth (by e-mail from Correos) in June that they do pack transport on the Invierno on weekdays until Oct. 31. The website must not be complete as to their services.

peregrina2000

Staff member
You are right that Correos now does do backack transfer on the Invierno. A peregrino I met on the Invierno this July was using the service! He told me it was a relatively new expansion of the correos service, so I will delete the old info and leave the new, accurate info up there.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%