Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Invierno (in the summer) as a first time pilgrim

SpanBrit

Time of past OR future Camino
Unsure, maybe the Madrid + Invierno
I'm (hoping to be) a first time pilgrim planning to do the Camino de Madrid and then, probably, the Camino de Invierno and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should know about the invierno as opposed to, say, the frances. I ask because I read elsewhere the invierno was better for more experience pilgrims but as the route seems easier I'm not sure why that would be... Many thanks in advance!

Oh, and is there a good guidebook for it? I've seen middling reviews for the ones published in English and those I've found in Spanish seem to be a few years out of date...

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks! That's encouraging. Although having flicked through the guide I am now worried about being attacked by dogs 😅😂 I like dogs but I don't like getting chased by aggresive farm dogs aha. Still, if people are doing these routes I guess the problem isn't that bad...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks! That's encouraging. Although having flicked through the guide I am now worried about being attacked by dogs 😅😂 I like dogs but I don't like getting chased by aggresive farm dogs aha. Still, if people are doing these routes I guess the problem isn't that bad...
If you encounter a dog, bend down as if to pick up a stone; universal understanding among Spanish dogs, is to retreat when a human bends down for a stone. I didn’t know this when I walked the Invierno, but now I live in Spain and it has never failed me! I did the Invierno on my first Camino and wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. But don’t kid yourself that it’s easier than the Frances! Buen Camino.

I'm (hoping to be) a first time pilgrim planning to do the Camino de Madrid and then, probably, the Camino de Invierno and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should know about the invierno as opposed to, say, the frances. I ask because I read elsewhere the invierno was better for more experience pilgrims but as the route seems easier I'm not sure why that would be... Many thanks in advance!

Oh, and is there a good guidebook for it? I've seen middling reviews for the ones published in English and those I've found in Spanish seem to be a few years out of date...
I've walked the Invierno several years ago, in winter, and as a first-time pilgrim, after just 4 days on the Frances. I loved it, and it's still my best and favourite Camino :)

I'm a dog-phobe generally, but dogs on the Invierno were no more ferocious than those on the Primitivo, for example. And dogs in Galicia are either chained, or behind a fence, or very complacent if you just walk by.

I used this forum's Invierno guide, and I found it practically perfect :)

Here's also my detailed account of the Invierno - hope you'll find it useful!

All in all, I'm sure you're in for a great adventure and a very beautiful and interesting Camino!

I've walked the Invierno several years ago, in winter, and as a first-time pilgrim, after just 4 days on the Frances. I loved it, and it's still my best and favourite Camino :)

I'm a dog-phobe generally, but dogs on the Invierno were no more ferocious than those on the Primitivo, for example. And dogs in Galicia are either chained, or behind a fence, or very complacent if you just walk by.

I used this forum's Invierno guide, and I found it practically perfect :)

Here's also my detailed account of the Invierno - hope you'll find it useful!

All in all, I'm sure you're in for a great adventure and a very beautiful and interesting Camino!
Thanks, that's super helpful! It seems the stages are super long and I worry I may be biting off more than I can chew so I may stick to the frances after the madrid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, that's super helpful! It seems the stages are super long and I worry I may be biting off more than I can chew so I may stick to the frances after the madrid.
It's entirely possible to do shorter stages - my main reason for going for longer ones was the fact that I had limited time for the Camino and needed to make it to Santiago by a certain date to catch my return flight.
Also, your endurance grow on the Camino, so after the first week, walking more than 25 km a day will likely become easier!

Not to worry, @SpanBrit .
There is a planning thread here from last year, specifically emphasizing short stages:

And a compendium of relatively recent (unfortunately pre-covid) accounts:

There are now albergues in Las Medulas, Monforte, (and Diamondi when it opens) - these were not around in 2019.

And Brierley has a guide, but I would use the Forum guide or WisePligrim app instead.

I did the Invierno last Oct & I was able to do shorter stages - +/- 20K. Other than Villavieja, I stayed in private accommodations. I also read about the dogs but never encountered any that were threatening. I used the Brierly guide & the Buen Camino app for following the route when necessary. This route is a very different experience than the Frances. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The only loose dog I’ve ever had an encounter with on the Invierno was the mastiff in Villavieja, and I have it on very good authority that it is no longer an issue.

There is an aggressive dog as you enter Barxa de Lor, on the day from Quiroga. That dog, in my experience and others, is always chained up but lunges and barks very aggressively.

As others have said, there are far fewer pilgrim-specific services (you are not going to find cafés/bares that cater to pilgrims, or many municipal albergues, for instance), but the accommodation is totally adequate. Many private places with single rooms int he 20€ range. And a growing number of albergues.

I bet you will meet more pilgrims on the Invierno than on the Madrid, but I wouldn’t expect huge crowds on either. :D

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back