Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Invierno in Winter 2013

Giacomo21

Hi Pilgrims!
I plan to walk Camino Invierno in the middle of the winter- in February 2013.
So, I have few questions about this road.
1)What's the situation with way-marks? Is ist better now (Rebbeca wrote it was horrible in 2010)?
2)What about accomodation? How much does it cost to stay in sport hall (guide says that it is possible) or private and small hostals?
Are new albergues ready? Those, that Juntas got in plans few years ago?
3)What about the weather? What are the temperatures in this part of Galicia in the middle of February? Is it very snowy there?
4)Have anyone of You made this way in winter? Do You have any photos?
5)Are there any other tips, tricks and important informations which are needed?

-I read all topics in this Camino forum. But I think I need the newest info.
-I have made Camino twice. For the first time Via de la Plata y Sanabres (from Sevilla) walking and second Camino Catalan y Frances (from Girona) by bike, so You can skip tips like "don't take too much stuff".

Buen Camino from Poland!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Giacomo,
I know someone from the forum who plans to walk the Camino de Invierno this month, so maybe he will report back. I walked it in June 2011 and have some updates from Rebekah's 2010 walk. The marking is very very good, almost without exception. I posted my comments about lodging and marking here: camino-de-invierno/topic11151.html

I have some supplemental comments to Rebekah's online guide (have you seen it, http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm available for download). I will send them to you via a PM.

To answer some of your questions, I tended to stay in private accommodations, usually in the 25-30 euro range. I do not know about sports halls, but I have seen references to them. My guess is that they are not heated, so if you can stay there you should plan to bring a good sleeping bag. No new albergues that I know about. (rebekah's guide lists the two or three already up and running).

I don't know what the weather tends to be like in February, but I do know that this route, though it has some ups and downs, is at a lower elevation than the Camino Frances.

My main tip would be to prepare yourself for total solitude. There are unlikely to be other pilgrims. I walked in June and never met another one. But it's beautiful. Good luck with your planning. Buen camino, Laurie

hi!
I haven't done the Invierno but it is on my list, it should be beautiful.
I live in the hills above Monforte, even in the hills we have had very little snow over the winter. Last february was very pleasant during the day but it does get very cold at night, and, whilst the sun is very effective it will be cold in the shade. The weather in Galicia is unpredictable, last winter was very dry, next winter ??? who knows.
I am sure you will have a great camino. there is a website run by the Amigos of the camino de Invierno, with a pdf of hostels, albergues etc.
Buen camino
Sue

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have only talked to one person who attempted the Invierno in winter. He gave up after three days, swearing and cursing about the mud and wind, saying it is the most mis-named camino ever!

I have done the Invierno three times, always in good weather. The waymarking is much improved since the guide was written, but some parts are on steep ups and downs, and back roads where visibility vis-a-vis drivers of cars is not the best -- I would insist on reflective clothing. The biggest obstacle would not be the cold or the weather, but the sometimes-long etapas combined with the short daylight hours. You don´t want to be bashing through the pine forest east of Lalin after sundown, even if the waymarks are good.

I would insist on reflective clothing.

Absolutely. This is a legal requirement in Galicia when walking on a road in poor visibility, though the locals wear reflective jackets even when walking in full sunshine.

sulu said:
Absolutely. This is a legal requirement in Galicia when walking on a road in poor visibility, though the locals wear reflective jackets even when walking in full sunshine.

Sulu, The law covers all of Spain and they MUST only be used on days of poor viability. Although there is nothing stopping one using them in bright sunlight.
If you recall I wrote about it in 2011 when the law first came into operation.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/topic11793.html
However seeing locals going on their daily constitutional I do not see 100% adherence to the law.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The law covers all of Spain and they MUST only be used on days of poor viability. Although there is nothing stopping one using them in bright sunlight.
If you recall I wrote about it in 2011 when the law first came into operation.

Hi Ribeirasacra!
I distinctly remember your post, I thought it was a good idea to reiterate it :) I haven't heard of any pilgrims being fined but there's bound to be a first.
The residents around here must be very law abiding for the majority always wear a reflective jacket if they are walking up the side of the main road. I did not notice jackets worn near the VdlP, but then the sun was shining :) I didn't see so many locals walking there either.
Walking in poor visibility means dusk and dawn, as well as rain. There must be many pilgrims walking in the dark in this hot weather.

Hi Pilgrims!
I plan to walk Camino Invierno in the middle of the winter- in February 2013.
So, I have few questions about this road.
1)What's the situation with way-marks? Is ist better now (Rebbeca wrote it was horrible in 2010)?
2)What about accomodation? How much does it cost to stay in sport hall (guide says that it is possible) or private and small hostals?
Are new albergues ready? Those, that Juntas got in plans few years ago?
3)What about the weather? What are the temperatures in this part of Galicia in the middle of February? Is it very snowy there?
4)Have anyone of You made this way in winter? Do You have any photos?
5)Are there any other tips, tricks and important informations which are needed?

Hi Giacomo!
1)I can't answer for the entire Camino but the part I walked was reasonably signed, there were a few places where the signs merged with the vegetation but that will be different in February.
2)the only place that I have seen that said you could stay in the Sports hall was Chantada and I asked in the Tourist Office, this is no longer possible. They recommend Hostal Yoel, pretty basic but at €12 pretty good. The albergue in Quiroga charges €9. The problem on this route is the lack of kitchens, you have to eat out, or eat cold.
The stages are long and there is almost never somewhere to stop for a coffee or refreshment. I think I would prefer to walk it in February than in September with temperatures in the 30's. With the right clothes it is easier to get warm than to get cool!
Buen camino
Sue

@ Giacomo I walked this stretch in july 2012. Places to stay are a plenty. However, long, long stretches. I had a tent 10 oz http://www.zpacks.com People are very friendly, once you get them out of there houses. I spent the night in a barn, and once in a field next to the main house. I had notes on all this but they were "lost" mailing a package to the states. Along with my phone ipod etc. My clothes made it. So go. Have no fear! Be prepared. And carry a sleeping sack at least 40 degree.Waterproof boot could be in order.But I am wiser. 61yo! Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back