Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Invierno solo September 2018

poly.kucerova

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Portugues
2018 plans for Camino del Invierno/Camino Primitivo
Hi, I am planning on walking solo in September 2018. Is going solo on Camino de Invierno a bad idea? I like the route as there wouldnt be any crowds, but I would still like to meet at least a few fellow peregrinos along the way or in albuerges :) Also I am a bit worried if the trail is clearly marked?
I am still not decided if I would start in Monforte de Lemos or Ponferrada, depending on how fit I feel in September :)
The other option would be a different camino - probably last 100 or 150 km - but I want to avoid the crowds and so-called bed race.
I will be grateful for any suggestions

Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, I am planning on walking solo in September 2018. Is going solo on Camino de Invierno a bad idea? I like the route as there wouldnt be any crowds, but I would still like to meet at least a few fellow peregrinos along the way or in albuerges :) Also I am a bit worried if the trail is clearly marked?
I am still not decided if I would start in Monforte de Lemos or Ponferrada, depending on how fit I feel in September :)
The other option would be a different camino - probably last 100 or 150 km - but I want to avoid the crowds and so-called bed race.
I will be grateful for any suggestions

Thanks
Hi, Poly,

There will be definitely no bed race on Invierno and you have almost zero chances to meet any other pilgrim until A Laxe where you will join pilgrims from VdlP/Sanabres. As for solo female walking I can't really tell because I'm a male but Of all Caminos I've walked I found locals on Invierno (and Madrid) the most welcoming and helpful. I wouldn't be afraid.

I can't see the correlation between fitness level and starting point because every stage of Invierno/Sanabres is more or less of the same difficulty. I would encourage you to start in Ponferrada and proudly tick off one whole Camino ;)

I'm sure Invierno would be the most quiet of all the routes (100-150km) into Santiago any time of the year.

Buen Camino!

Poly, as Kinkyone has said you won't find the Invierno busy. I walked it in September 2016 and I didn't meet another pilgrim until I connected with the Sanabres 3 days from Santiago. I can assure you that the trail is very clearly marked, much better than other routes I've walked. It's a very beautiful camino and the Spanish people you'll meet are very helpful and friendly as they just don't see the volume of people that the latter part of the Frances experiences. Also lots of history along this route and the food is much better than what one typically finds on the Frances. There is a very good guide in the Resource Section that you might want to review. Laure updates it each year around now, and I think she will complete her 2018 update very soon, if not already done.

Perhaps a better option if you wish to finish in Santiago is to walk the last 100-150 kms of the Sanabres which is less travelled, but you will have company each evening so you won't be lonely. If Santiago isn't a must then you could of course walk many other places. Hope this helps. :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
PS. There aren't many albergues on the Invierno, and you would have to stay in small hotels quite often. I think there are 3 or 4 albergues, though the new guide will update the number.

PS. There aren't many albergues on the Invierno, and you would have to stay in small hotels quite often. I think there are 3 or 4 albergues, though the new guide will update the number.
Due to certain circumstances I walked Ponferrada - A Laxe in 11 stages and slept 5 times in albergues and 6 times in private lodgings.
I counted albergues in 6 villages (A Rua has two) + polideportivos in another 4 villages if you're on budget. But they are spread unevenly and you just can't avoid hostal or pension till A Laxe on three places:
- Las Medulas/Puente de Domingo Florez
- Monforte de Lemos
- Rodeiro.

Hi, Poly,
I am the one who is supposed to be publishing the 2018 version of our forum guide. I am hoping to have it done and posted in the next week or so. I just need a block of a few hours to input the eagle eye comments of my forum proofreaders.

Here is the current one to give you an idea. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-invierno-2017-edition.535/

I have walked the Invierno twice, once totally alone years ago and once with company for a few of the stages a couple of years ago. I agree with all of those who recommend it highly. Scenery, food, and people are all wonderful. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Poly!
I've only done from Monforte de Lemos, but can highly recommend the route. Enough that I'll be a month behind you doing from Ponferrada to Santiago (if all goes well and according to my most recent plotting!!)

For 5 1/2 days...not one pilgrim walking with me at all! In one town (memory is not working at the moment!) I had two French cyclist to dine with but that was it! But for the last two days there were a few folks. It made for a wonderful ending to a lovely quiet beautiful Camino. I'm really excited to go again.

Buen Camino, Karin

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back