Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Invierno

Ribeirasacra

Time of past OR future Camino
the highway
The village of Belesar is located on the banks of the Rio Miño, in Galicia. It is where this route crosses the river too.
Yesterday was the first day of the re-launch for the Club Náutico in Belesar. It has been closed for about 3 years and now there is a new licensee of the bar. This is good news for those who wish to undertake this walk and want to stop and eat or drink something in a great location.
After the opening we met our first true pilgrims of this route. They were Spanish but we took the opportunity to ask them their views. It seems the route is presently lacking a lot of yellow arrows and it is easy to go wrong. They also confirmed what we thought in that there is a lack of accommodation too. However the walk is peaceful and the countryside great.
Over it seems the Xunta of Galicia has a long way to go to get the route open for next year.

Attachments

• walking in belesar.jpg
    walking in belesar.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 2,844
  • me talking.jpg
    me talking.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 2,844
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for this update, Ian.

The Camino de Invierno website you list with your signature shows that the route starts very close to Ponferrada, but it looks like there are a few kms between the two. I think I remember that there was some discussion here a while back that noted some confusion about whether the route starts in Ponferrada or Molinaseca. The map on the website seems to clear that up.

I hope you will keep agitating and making noise, because this route would be a great alternative to the incredibly saturated end of the Camino Frances. Maybe with the jacobeo coming up, there will be some incentive to ensure good waymarking -- has AGACS shown any interest in this route? Their website doesn't list it, at least not that I can find, http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/ They are such an active group and have done a terrific job of waymarking other lesser traveled caminos, so maybe they will get interested, too.

Thanks for keeping us informed on this. Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
peregrina2000 said:
I think I remember that there was some discussion here a while back that noted some confusion about whether the route starts in Ponferrada or Molinaseca
I posted a link to a detailed description of the route miscellaneous-topics/topic1601.html?sd=d#p31418
It leaves the CF at the Puente Mascaron in Ponferrada http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/e.html?zo ... 894&mark=y

The Xunta committed to supporting this route several years ago, but no-one ever accused them of being fast-moving ;-)

Peter thanks for the link to your website, but boy is the Spanish map your page links back to slow in loading. I know it is not your fault as I have tried to use the Spanish maps before and gave up.
Yes there has been a lot of Xunta interest in this route. It seems the historians first had to prove it was a valid route and that also took quite some time.

Ian

the speed of loading the maps seems to vary widely. Sometimes it's instantaneous, and others you give up waiting for it to load. Depends on who else is accessing the servers, I expect. Then again, it is free :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peter, thank you for linking to the past discussion, I was trying to find it but couldn't. Is there any way we could get a new sub-grouping for "Camino de Invierno" so the postings would all be together? I guess that's a job for Ivar.

Reb, I would very much love to walk this route, but next spring is slotted for a return to the Vdlp to see if my feet will take me the whole way. I'm back in the US now so it's more difficult. Maybe 2011? Or maybe you should do it and write up a CSJ guide and then the cartographically challenged among us will be able to walk in your footsteps, sort of like the Salvador. :D

Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Is there any way we could get a new sub-grouping for "Camino de Invierno" so the postings would all be together? I guess that's a job for Ivar.
...and here we have it:
camino-de-invierno/

This looks like a good alternative to those that are looking to get away from the crowds next year (on the Francés). I saw a comment about not having enough albergues, how are the lodging facilities? Is it an alternative to the Camino Frances, or not really...

Saludos,
Ivar

Thank you for the new section Ivar.
I have also written this bit about the route here.
el-camino-frances/topic5743.html
Can that be added to this section when you have time too.
When it gets a bit quieter I do plan to drive the route around Monforte de Lemos to report back about accommodation. At the moment I think it is mainly Hotels or Casa Rurals. I will drive so that I can save time in witting my findings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Ian,

Will the route open in May of this year? The website http://www.mundicamino.com has no details of this way yet and description on Peter's site is very general. It looks that up to now, there is no info about accommodations along this route available. And the only more or less detailed description is in Spanish.

The photos of the gorge are just magnificent, I would love to walk there if would manage so far :)

Lnata the Camino de Invierno is open now. and yes there is no real accommodation infrastructure.
I know that the Xunta of Galicia has seemly abandoned it and all the spare cash is going into the French route, after saying this was a good (and not so busy)alternative. The Deputation de Lugo is trying to organise something but we are waiting for news at the momnet.The only information I have found is given on the link below

Thank you for such prompt reply. Guess I have to think more and check my savings before turning this direction :)

Natalia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It looks like a challenge to me. Maybe this is where I need to go with my new little tent, seeing as the Camino Primitivo is looking more and more congested this year? :eek:

Reb.

I have got a copy of a locla free newspaper which gives details of a new albergue just 7 km to the north of the Camino, near to the village of Belesar.
Can someone tell me if I can add a scan of this article here? or is that not permitted under copyright.
It is in Galician so it may not be so useful to some readers here either.

Ribeirasacra said:
I know that the Xunta of Galicia has seemly abandoned it
I would doubt if that's the final word. I expect it'll be implemented some time, but the Xunta is not known for prompt action, so who knows whether we'll all still be alive.

As for newspaper clippings, yes, it probably would be infringement of copyright, tho you could ask them for permission. Do they not have a website with these articles in?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was only writing what I have learnt from the Deputation de Lugo. They have taken it on themselves to do something about the publicity of the route. The official publicity for the Xacobeo year does not include this route. There is no money for development of albergues either. That has been left to the deputation. But it seems the Xunta has admitted that the main Camino Francés is likely to be at full capacity or more during the summer peak.
Regarding your comment suggestion that the Xunta could do more in future years. Surely would this year not have been a wonderful opportunity for that?
The route has been known about for many years. All they had to do is prove the authenticity of it. That was finally done over two years ago.

So the situation is rather perplexing to me.

No the free newspaper does have a website. http://www.encomun.es/ but as you can see it does not work.

yes, I have similar issues with Spanish newspapers. So many are re-written press releases from government PR people, with great gaps where really useable information ought to be. There is an association of journalists who cover Camino-related stories, headed-up by a reporter from Voz.

... but they don´t want to hear anything but praise. Even tips of ongoing camino news are met with stony silence. I think news reports have to come from "officials" before they are considered.

Oh well. This is Spain. They do things differently here.
Reb.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am not sure if this has been written in the press yet, but Xacobeo has recently recognized the "Camino de Invierno" (and the "Camino Portuguese por la Costa") as official caminos. This means that we will be adding these two caminos to the Xacobeo website as soon as we can gather information about these caminos.

So if anyone out there has descriptions, stage descriptions, photos, or any useful information that we can use on the Xacobeo website to present these two new caminos, please send them my way (ivar.rekve@xacobeo.org). We are a few days away from presenting the new Xacobeo website. This first version will not include these two caminos, but I hope to add them to the site really soon. This will hopefully help in the promotion, and take some pressure off the Camino Frances.

Please note that the fact that Xacobeo recognizes these two caminos, does not automatically mean that the church (the pilgrims office) will recognize them as official caminos. So how this plays out related to the possibility of getting a compostela, I do not know.

Anyway, for now that is all I know..

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Ivar Thank you for your posting.
I can try and do some work on route photos etc.if and when I have some time. As part of the route is on my doorstep it would be silly not to do something. But I cannot make any promises to progress. as work seems to get in the way of any play time I have.
I already have your email address so when i have something I will forward it for the Xacobeo website and this forum too.
Now all we need is the snow to arrive here!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ribeirasacra said:
Ivar Thank you for your posting.
I can try and do some work on route photos etc.if and when I have some time. As part of the route is on my doorstep it would be silly not to do something. But I cannot make any promises to progress. as work seems to get in the way of any play time I have.
I already have your email address so when i have something I will forward it for the Xacobeo website and this forum too.
Now all we need is the snow to arrive here!
Don't worry too much about it. I wil also try to contact the association and we will also have a few pilgrims that will walk the camino and "record" the most useful info (lodging, distances, degree of difficulty).

Saludos,
Ivar

I am now working on a simple English-language guide to the Invierno.

I am pulling together information from every source I can find. If you have walked or biked this route in the past year, and you took notes and are willing to share with future pilgrims, please get in touch with me ASAP. I am especially short on info on the stretch between Valdeorras and Monforte de Lemos (I was ill then, and didn´t take notes) and the first day, from Ponferrada to Las Medulas (I took an alternate path).

You will be properly credited.

Rebekah

Good on you Reb. We are interested in the Invierno, down the track and were hoping for some sort of guide. Good luck with it and thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back