• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de la Corona - Where am I?

wisepilgrim

Camino App Maker
Time of past OR future Camino
Many
Here's another 'where is it?' set of photos for the camino veterans. The first shows the camino, with some well aged signage and a distinct pine covered stretch which is arrow straight... something which makes it unique-ish on the Camino Francés. It coincides with another route, the Camino de la Corona, which is not well traveled enough to appear on a very brief google search.

Any guesses?

Camino.jpg

Corona.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm going back 6 years on this stretch, but given that the most pines I recall are after the cruz de farro, but road-side (so this path seems wrong) , and between Puenta de la Reina and Burgos (where that massively wide, very muddy path is). I am going to guess that it's on the day that we walk into Najerra or into Estrella??

Okay, my best guess is....<drum roll>....

The only place that I remember comes even close is a few km out from the Irache wine fountain on the way to Luquin. (ie. on the "high" road)

The "lower" road takes one to Villamayor de Monjardin in a rough parallel to the A-12 and the N-111, correct?

(Are there "bonus points" for senior citizens who remember these types of things?;) Yep, that's what I thought....:rolleyes: It's okay, never mind!)

B

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The GR symbol on one of the trees could be a indicator, is it one of the entries or exits to Roncesvalles before they started putting concrete slabs down to ' help' the pilgrims, which is before my time?

Instead of leaving Estella via the camino which leads to the Monastery at Irache
leave Estella via the Calle Mercatondoa and
Calle Camino Montejurra.
You can then make a right turn directly onto Camino de la Corona

Furthermore if you walk along the CdC towards Bodegas Pago de Larrainzar soon on your right is a path, the Camino de Santiago !!, which curves north across vineyards upto the Plaza de Irache and the main entrance of the Monastery.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Instead of leaving Estella via the camino which leads to the Monastery at Irache
Calle Camino Montejurra.

Furthermore if you walk along the CdC towards Bodegas Pago de Larrainzar soon on your right is a path, the Camino de Santiago !!, which curves north across vineyards upto the Plaza de Irache and the main entrance of the Monastery.

You are in the right neighborhood, that is for sure. The Camino de la Corona is not to be confused with the street of the same name.

The only place that I remember comes even close is a few km out from the Irache wine fountain on the way to Luquin. (ie. on the "high" road)

The "lower" road takes one to Villamayor de Monjardin in a rough parallel to the A-12 and the N-111, correct?

(Are there "bonus points" for senior citizens who remember these types of things?;) Yep, that's what I thought....:rolleyes: It's okay, never mind!)

B
Ding ding ding! The senior wins the prize!

This part of the camino isn't very well traveled, in part because for many years the A-12 construction made it appear a bit less desirable from the onset.

But for pilgrims looking for a bit of beautiful scenery, and who are not planning to stay in Villamayor de Monjardin or Azqueta, the alternate route via Luquín (now with albergue) is an option I cannot recommend enough.

The option to follow it comes up a hundred meters after you leave the Monastery and Wine fountain. It is sign posted, but basically you need to take the left option to pass under the motorway and pick up the trail. Once you have done so, keep an eye open for arrows taking you off the service road and into the forest... it is almost immediately after the underpass. From there it is clear, and gosh darn lovely. It follows the curvature of the Montejurra Mountain on your left.

Thank you so much for posting these photos. I took that Way when I walked the CF in 2016 and was alone on the trail the whole time. I experienced an "out of body" dream as I walked it and instead of the pack on my back, was carrying a small child (my pack was way too heavy...). I was leading a group through the forest and felt a strong sense of courage and fearlessness. It was way cool and, although I haven't shared this story with many, your photo brought it back to me- clear as a bell. Didn't realize I was walking the Camino de Corona. Love that detail. Ultreia!

B

Exactly! This section is precisely what came to my mind when I thought of pine trees. The second time I walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 2018 I, my accident, took the "high" road rather than going through Villamayor de Monjardin. It was absolutely delightful and I saw no one along the way. I would suggest it to all, unless of course you are planning to sleepin in Villamayor.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Calle Camino Montejurra.

@mspath -

You are a scholar on these things. Do you have any insight or further information as to which "crown" is referenced in this "Camino de Corona" - - and perhaps why?

Thank you in advance for any help!

B

@mspath -

You are a scholar on these things. Do you have any insight or further information as to which "crown" is referenced in this "Camino de Corona" - - and perhaps why?

Thank you in advance for any help!

B
Unfortunately neither do I know which "crown" is referenced. However the answer might be found in "The PIlgrimage Road to Santiago" by Linda Davidson and David Gitlitz which offers comprehensive information on interesting places and monuments of artistic or historical importance along the Camino Frances.

Today as much of the world is in confinement during the current Coronavirus Covid 19 pandemic the title Camino de la Corona has a horrific contemporary significance.

Last edited:

€83,-
I walked that way last year, and it was lovely. Of course Camino de la Corona didn't have the same significance as it has this year, so if I saw that sign it didn't make much of an impression on me. 😄

Last edited:

B
I have no guess, but in 2017 I was headed toward the albergue run by the Dutch in Monjardin because I enjoyed staying there two years earlier. When I arrived with three family members the whole village was "completo". We had to trudge a few more kilometers up to Luquin after a long hot day, but we had a new private albergue all to ourselves...it was heavenly.

Last edited:
Unfortunately neither do I know which "crown" is referenced. However the answer might be found in "The PIlgrimage Road to Santiago" by Linda Davidson and David Gitlitz which offers comprehensive information on interesting places and monuments of artistic or historical importance along the Camino Frances.

Today as much of the world is in confinement during the current Coronavirus Covid 19 pandemic the title Camino de la Corona has a horrific contemporary significance.
Thank you, @mspath !

I will be pulling that volume off my library shelf in the next few days to see what I missed the first couple of times through.

It IS a wonderful volume but so densely packed with information there will be no surprise on my part if I missed a reference.

My appreciation for the gift of your response,

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This a beautiful alternate route. We did it twice, but each time staying in Villatuerta and then going across country from there. On this route, just a few kms after Villafuerte, you pass in front of the ruins of an ancient Pilgrim Hospital, which you can explore.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"La Corona" is a field name. It's the name of a small area of the territory of Ayegui. Next to "El Soto" and "Cerrado de Iratxe".

View attachment 86700
Impressive. Only now I want to know why it is called that. Next time I am in the area I will knock on some doors. Out of curiosity, what is your map source?

I don't see a mention of it on older paper maps, which makes me suspect that it is a more modern invention.

Impressive. Only now I want to know why it is called that. Next time I am in the area I will knock on some doors. Out of curiosity, what is your map source?
The source was a massive pdf file that turned up in a Google search. But there is a better source: an interactive Visor Geográfico de Toponimia Oficial de Navarra. You can click on the name La Corona (or El Soto or Cerrado de Iratxe) for some information but the sources given for the names are all "oral". I think this is not unusual for field names in rural Europe: they have been only orally transmitted for centuries and their origin and original meaning are hidden in the mist of times.

PS: The map file has 8 MB and this is the link. It's somewhere on www.navarra.es

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back