Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

camino de la costa

chinchon

New Member
It is possible to follow a coastal route starting from Caminha in Portugal. From Caminha you can either follw the Mino to Valenca - or cross the Mino on the ferry to La Guardia (recommended) and follw the coast to Vig and then join the main route at Redondela. There are no refuges but the compensation is that it has outstanding scenery and you pass the monastery of Oia. The route is not difficult. Waymarking was patchy (in June) but there will be a concerted effort this August to mark the route properly.
 

Javier Martin

Veteran Member
chinchon said:
...Waymarking was patchy (in June) but there will be a concerted effort this August to mark the route properly....

Yes, it's going to be remarked in a few days. La Guardia, Baiona, Vigo, etc. by a local association.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.
 

michals

New Member
Hi!
We starting August 6th from Porto. Please anybody say something more about that "new way" via A Guardia, Baiona etc.. How many stages(kilometers) aprox. has that way. Is it go thru Valenca and then go to A Guardia?? Are there any alberges on the way. When the route should be finally marked? I know its so many questions :D

thanks in advance and greetings from Poland
michal
 

atlanautic

New Member
Hello,
I have the same questions as Michal has. I supoose, there are any "camino" albergues, but maybe could somebody recomend some simple accommodation on the way...
Many thanks for the advice!
Lenka
 
The Xunta has recently confirmed that this route will be included in the Xacobeo's 2010 promotional material http://www.elcorreogallego.es/galicia/e ... ia-452285/ There's talk of an albergue in Baiona and/or Vigo. It's not a new route tho: the original work by the Amigos dos Pazos http://amigosdelospazos.com/camino.htm dates from the 1980s. There's a curious tradition that this route was used by Thomas Beckett - I'd be interested in any info anyone might have on this.
 

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Peter Robins said:
The Xunta has recently confirmed that this route will be included in the Xacobeo's 2010 promotional material http://www.elcorreogallego.es/galicia/e ... ia-452285/ There's talk of an albergue in Baiona and/or Vigo. It's not a new route tho: the original work by the Amigos dos Pazos http://amigosdelospazos.com/camino.htm dates from the 1980s. There's a curious tradition that this route was used by Thomas Beckett - I'd be interested in any info anyone might have on this.
I have not heard anything on this, will post more when I find out.

Ivar
 

chinchon

New Member
Unfortunately, there are no albergues until Redondela. There is a very cheap hostal in La Guardia in the Rua Galicia and Vigo also has some cheap ones in Vigo. We walked this route in 5 stages - but this was to allow time for us to visit places of interest. Vigo to Redondela is only a half day.LaGuardia to Baiona would be a long day but possible. Again Baiona to Vigo would be a long day but also possible because the terrain is not difficult.
 

chinchon

New Member
Did Thomas a Becket use this route? Probably not - He spent the years of his exile in France seeking support for his return to the Office of Archbishop. I suppose it might be possible that a surrogate went on pilgrimage for him. There is a surprising number of churches in Spain dedicated to St Thomas. I was told that the first in the world to carry this dedication was at Salamanca, because of the large number of English students who studied at the university. That there are churches also dedicate to Thomas a Becket at Caldas and Toro may have more to do with the presence of English merchants than the Archbishop's presence.
 

michals

New Member
chinchon said:
Unfortunately, there are no albergues until Redondela. There is a very cheap hostal in La Guardia in the Rua Galicia and Vigo also has some cheap ones in Vigo. We walked this route in 5 stages - but this was to allow time for us to visit places of interest. Vigo to Redondela is only a half day.LaGuardia to Baiona would be a long day but possible. Again Baiona to Vigo would be a long day but also possible because the terrain is not difficult.

Thanks chinchon.
I would like to know what does it mean "long day" :shock: , hopefully no more than 30-35km :D
And what about arrows, the route is marked already or you go just stick to a cost line from town to town? Which route is more interesting, picturesque,less asphalt and urbanized, regular one or de la costa.
appreciate your help
Michal
 

chinchon

New Member
I understand that the new guide book will be published towards the end of the year rather than September - but there is no set date for its publication
 

mmonomm

Member
hi,

do you know the updated informations (stages, maps, albergues) of this route?
has anybody done it recently? i would like to walk it next year, as this year i did not know about it, i walked on the coast just till Caminha...
 

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

  • January

    Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

    Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

    Votes: 56 4.2%
  • April

    Votes: 200 15.1%
  • May

    Votes: 329 24.9%
  • June

    Votes: 96 7.3%
  • July

    Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

    Votes: 27 2.0%
  • September

    Votes: 381 28.8%
  • October

    Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

    Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

    Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
Top