• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino de la costa

chinchon

It is possible to follow a coastal route starting from Caminha in Portugal. From Caminha you can either follw the Mino to Valenca - or cross the Mino on the ferry to La Guardia (recommended) and follw the coast to Vig and then join the main route at Redondela. There are no refuges but the compensation is that it has outstanding scenery and you pass the monastery of Oia. The route is not difficult. Waymarking was patchy (in June) but there will be a concerted effort this August to mark the route properly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
chinchon said:
...Waymarking was patchy (in June) but there will be a concerted effort this August to mark the route properly....

Yes, it's going to be remarked in a few days. La Guardia, Baiona, Vigo, etc. by a local association.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi!
We starting August 6th from Porto. Please anybody say something more about that "new way" via A Guardia, Baiona etc.. How many stages(kilometers) aprox. has that way. Is it go thru Valenca and then go to A Guardia?? Are there any alberges on the way. When the route should be finally marked? I know its so many questions :D

thanks in advance and greetings from Poland
michal

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,
I have the same questions as Michal has. I supoose, there are any "camino" albergues, but maybe could somebody recomend some simple accommodation on the way...
Many thanks for the advice!
Lenka

The Xunta has recently confirmed that this route will be included in the Xacobeo's 2010 promotional material http://www.elcorreogallego.es/galicia/e ... ia-452285/ There's talk of an albergue in Baiona and/or Vigo. It's not a new route tho: the original work by the Amigos dos Pazos http://amigosdelospazos.com/camino.htm dates from the 1980s. There's a curious tradition that this route was used by Thomas Beckett - I'd be interested in any info anyone might have on this.

Peter Robins said:
The Xunta has recently confirmed that this route will be included in the Xacobeo's 2010 promotional material http://www.elcorreogallego.es/galicia/e ... ia-452285/ There's talk of an albergue in Baiona and/or Vigo. It's not a new route tho: the original work by the Amigos dos Pazos http://amigosdelospazos.com/camino.htm dates from the 1980s. There's a curious tradition that this route was used by Thomas Beckett - I'd be interested in any info anyone might have on this.
I have not heard anything on this, will post more when I find out.

Ivar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Unfortunately, there are no albergues until Redondela. There is a very cheap hostal in La Guardia in the Rua Galicia and Vigo also has some cheap ones in Vigo. We walked this route in 5 stages - but this was to allow time for us to visit places of interest. Vigo to Redondela is only a half day.LaGuardia to Baiona would be a long day but possible. Again Baiona to Vigo would be a long day but also possible because the terrain is not difficult.

Did Thomas a Becket use this route? Probably not - He spent the years of his exile in France seeking support for his return to the Office of Archbishop. I suppose it might be possible that a surrogate went on pilgrimage for him. There is a surprising number of churches in Spain dedicated to St Thomas. I was told that the first in the world to carry this dedication was at Salamanca, because of the large number of English students who studied at the university. That there are churches also dedicate to Thomas a Becket at Caldas and Toro may have more to do with the presence of English merchants than the Archbishop's presence.

chinchon said:
Unfortunately, there are no albergues until Redondela. There is a very cheap hostal in La Guardia in the Rua Galicia and Vigo also has some cheap ones in Vigo. We walked this route in 5 stages - but this was to allow time for us to visit places of interest. Vigo to Redondela is only a half day.LaGuardia to Baiona would be a long day but possible. Again Baiona to Vigo would be a long day but also possible because the terrain is not difficult.

Thanks chinchon.
I would like to know what does it mean "long day" :shock: , hopefully no more than 30-35km :D
And what about arrows, the route is marked already or you go just stick to a cost line from town to town? Which route is more interesting, picturesque,less asphalt and urbanized, regular one or de la costa.
appreciate your help
Michal

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I understand that the new guide book will be published towards the end of the year rather than September - but there is no set date for its publication

hi,

do you know the updated informations (stages, maps, albergues) of this route?
has anybody done it recently? i would like to walk it next year, as this year i did not know about it, i walked on the coast just till Caminha...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back