• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Canada - Camino de la Isla

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Likely caught your attention with that title...where is that Camino? Well it’s also known as the Island Walk in Prince Edward Island PEI Canada. It’s a very old walk established in 2019 ;). 703 kms...mapped out in 32 stages by the Island Walk creators. To date I understand the total number of walkers who have completed the entire walk is estimated to be 50+!!!

Having walked 8 Camino routes in Switzerland, France, Spain and Portugal and the Kumano Kodo in Japan I thought why not give this a go...in my home country! So off I go mid-May 2023 however I may be a little too ambitious in my 24 day walking schedule.

1674241925073.png

This will not be a standard walk is so many ways...if interested in what I mean by this consider taking a quick look at my January 19, 2023 blog posting on the Camino de la Isla - Island Walk www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.ca. Should be an adventure!

Guy

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Guy, a fellow Canadian here on the west coast. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your trek. I have seen a news article about it but it didn't provide a great deal of the type of info a hiker would want. From what I did see it mostly required staying in Inns or hotels which being Canada are typically really expensive. Are you staying in hotels each night or is there opportunity to camp in some areas? All the best on your journey.
Frank

Hi Guy, a fellow Canadian here on the west coast. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your trek. I have seen a news article about it but it didn't provide a great deal of the type of info a hiker would want. From what I did see it mostly required staying in Inns or hotels which being Canada are typically really expensive. Are you staying in hotels each night or is there opportunity to camp in some areas? All the best on your journey.
Frank
Hi Frank,

Short answer is hotels, B&B, inns etc. You may want to take a peek at my blog entry…there is a fair amount of info there as a starter including a surprise on transportation required at end/start of some days.

It won’t answer all questions but will level set expectations. I am keeping a very open mind about this…route created in 2019…then something happened in the world 2020, 2021 and into 2022. And if you subscribe to the blog then you will get whatever updates and new info I gather during the walk.

The fact that they even have signage and a website up…kudos to all involved…well done fellow Canadians! I expect it will take a few years for the accommodation infrastructure to catch up to demand…I am just going to be an early adopter 😊

Guy

I have been eyeing this route for quite some time. Then covid. Then the hurricane. So I am going to be curious how it is now as far as infrastructure after all the storm damage from last year. I will also be interested in the cost. I am guessing this would be similar in cost and accommodations as walking in the UK which could make this route unattainable for most unless you at least have another person to share room costs with. I also see this is a route you have to plan out in advance since your will be completing for accommodations with tourists and vacationers as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Likely caught your attention with that title...where is that Camino? Well it’s also known as the Island Walk in Prince Edward Island PEI Canada. It’s a very old walk established in 2019 ;). 703 kms...mapped out in 32 stages by the Island Walk creators. To date I understand the total number of walkers who have completed the entire walk is estimated to be 50+!!!

Having walked 8 Camino routes in Switzerland, France, Spain and Portugal and the Kumano Kodo in Japan I thought why not give this a go...in my home country! So off I go mid-May 2023 however I may be a little too ambitious in my 24 day walking schedule.

View attachment 139954

This will not be a standard walk is so many ways...if interested in what I mean by this consider taking a quick look at my January 19, 2023 blog posting on the Camino de la Isla - Island Walk www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.ca. Should be an adventure!

Guy
I actually did the Island Walk in September, 2021 and well worth it. I had done Camino’s in Europe and really didn’t know what to expect from this one but soooo glad I gave it a shot. In reading some of the comments on this thread, I agree that it may not have the infrastructure of a 1,000 year old CF but you’ll find that the creators of this Camino have done an outstanding job in such a short time frame, making it not quite as expensive as you may think. Beautiful island inhabited by some of the nicest people. The Island Walk website gives you a lot of info and guide book written by Bryson Guptil lays out the route in an easy to follow method. Good luck on your walk.

I actually did the Island Walk in September, 2021 and well worth it. I had done Camino’s in Europe and really didn’t know what to expect from this one but soooo glad I gave it a shot. In reading some of the comments on this thread, I agree that it may not have the infrastructure of a 1,000 year old CF but you’ll find that the creators of this Camino have done an outstanding job in such a short time frame, making it not quite as expensive as you may think. Beautiful island inhabited by some of the nicest people. The Island Walk website gives you a lot of info and guide book written by Bryson Guptil lays out the route in an easy to follow method. Good luck on your walk.
Bernie great to hear from someone who has completed the walk…and clearly enjoyed it! I am looking forward to it. I have taken a short cut approach to the whole accommodation and route planning and utilized the services of https://www.experiencepei.ca and they (Bill) has been great!

If you have any particular tips for me…I’m listening…if you take a peek at my blog posting you will see where I’m at in my understanding of what I am expecting. Of course like any long walk surprises arise…very often good surprises 😊 Guy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Frank,

Short answer is hotels, B&B, inns etc. You may want to take a peek at my blog entry…there is a fair amount of info there as a starter including a surprise on transportation required at end/start of some days.

It won’t answer all questions but will level set expectations. I am keeping a very open mind about this…route created in 2019…then something happened in the world 2020, 2021 and into 2022. And if you subscribe to the blog then you will get whatever updates and new info I gather during the walk.

The fact that they even have signage and a website up…kudos to all involved…well done fellow Canadians! I expect it will take a few years for the accommodation infrastructure to catch up to demand…I am just going to be an early adopter 😊

Guy
Here's a link to an article on the Island Walk written by Carolyn Heller who did several sections of the Walk last summer. https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220817-canadas-new-700km-island-path

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.