• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de la Lana or Cami St. Jaume?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have narrowed down the choice for the first part of my Camino 2015 to either 23 days on the Camino de la Lana or 20 days on the St. Jaume/Cami Catala. The first option is Alicante to Burgos; the second is Port de la Selva (on the Catalan coast near the French border) to Zaragoza.

If you have any information on the following topics (or anything else that occurs to you), your input would be great:

Guidebooks: Catala has a good online guide; Lana seems like it would require patching together lots of posts, web info, and blogs.

Terrain: more elevation gain on Cami Catala ?? More castles and wide open spaces on the Lana??

Marking: I think both are pretty well waymarked, but I probably will be taking a gps for emergency purposes.

Length of stages: In a pinch I can do 40+, so I don't think I've got problems with the spacing of stages on either route

Getting from end of walk to Ponferrada: The second half of my Camino will be from Ponferrada, to Peñalba again (fingers crossed) and then the Invierno, so I will need to get from either Zaragoza or Burgos to Ponferrada in the shortest time possible.

I know they are both likely to be solitary.

Thanks for whatever help you might have to give! Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kinky has a point, Laurie! I first ran into your posts in this forum when I was researching the Camino Portuguese and I always think of you and Tia Valera as the Queens of shorter stages!

Kinky has a point, Laurie! I first ran into your posts in this forum when I was researching the Camino Portuguese and I always think of you and Tia Valera as the Queens of shorter stages!

Well, actually that "Shorter Stages from Lisbon" undertaking was something I worked up with a bunch of others to open up the Caminho from Lisbon for those who didn't want to walk 30. I have been comfortable with 30 for years now, but it's only thanks to Kinky that I know that I can actually enjoy 40!

Not to digress, but I think that I walked for many years with an untested assumption that I couldn't walk more than 30, and it turned out to be just wrong. Walking the Levante a few years ago with two French guys and not wanting to leave them showed me that 35 wasn't too much and that I enjoyed it. And now Kinky tells me I've actually walked a lot of even longer stages. I'm not suggesting that there's anything good or positive about walking long stages, but it is funny to me that I was wrong for about ten years about what my comfort level really was. Not sure why that happened, and I was 15 years younger then, too! It just gives me a lot of comfort knowing that if I have to, I will be able to carry on if I can't find accommodation at some point!

I think it's quite easy to calculate how long the stage was when you know your average speed. Only this year I found out that my average (usually combined flat and up&down parts) is 5kms/hr after years of believing that it is "only" 4kms/hr ;) It doesn't really matter but sometimes is funny to play a little bit with statistics. Of course you have to subtract resting time from total time to get accurate result. So it's quite possible to get approximate distance even without GPS.

Completely off-topic :eek:
:p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it's quite easy to calculate how long the stage was when you know your average speed. Only this year I found out that my average (usually combined flat and up&down parts) is 5kms/hr after years of believing that it is "only" 4kms/hr ;) It doesn't really matter but sometimes is funny to play a little bit with statistics. Of course you have to subtract resting time from total time to get accurate result. So it's quite possible to get approximate distance even without GPS.

Completely off-topic :eek:
:p

I don't ever think it's fun to play with numbers, I am NOT a numbers person, but thanks for the tip. ;) I think I'll be carrying a gps this year, so I'll have all those statistics, won't I, and maybe my friends Susanna and Gunnar will be interested in analyzing them for me.

so, Kinky do you have an opinion on the Lana vs. the Catalan? I know you've had some musings about the Lana.

OMG Laurie! Sorry, but I had to chuckle when I read Camino de la Lana. I thought that you were done with solitary Caminos. In Albacete I believe, we ran into 4 Spanish guys from Barcelona that were undertaking the Lana on bike but otherwise...sounds pretty quiet. I know that I am done with walking 2+ weeks alone although I can recommend the Mozárabe to everyone
Sorry, not being of any help to you on this one but will follow your musings.

I don't ever think it's fun to play with numbers, I am NOT a numbers person, but thanks for the tip. ;) I think I'll be carrying a gps this year, so I'll have all those statistics, won't I, and maybe my friends Susanna and Gunnar will be interested in analyzing them for me.

so, Kinky do you have an opinion on the Lana vs. the Catalan? I know you've had some musings about the Lana.

Cami Catala has been in my thoughts at least from the time I've read @DSouthard's blog (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sauntering-to-santiago-free-pdf.21177/#post-182445) and also after @sulu 's postings from San Pere de Rodes. Beautiful walk in my opinion.

But as you've mentioned I had also some thoughts about La Lana (vs. Levante) also. I kind of choosed Levante for now (for 2015). Don't know really why. Well, I can buy less than 40€ plane ticket from Venice to Valencia non-stop... Otherwise they both seems similar to me. A little plus for Levante is maybe that it cuts Spain diagonally, whereas La Lana ends in Burgos (which I personally found the nicest bigger town on CF, although for short period of time it was Franco's headquarters during Spanish Civil War, sigh) and maybe I'm not ready for CF crowds yet.

Having read most of your blogs and posts I got an impression that you really enjoy "up&down" Caminos such as Invierno and Northern routes (Olvidado, Salvador, Primitivo) so I guess Cami Catala would be much more to your choice than La Lana. If you would go La Lana I might even join you, but am afraid we would have to part after single stage as you walk 30 or even 40kms+ with ease :D

K1

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Kinky,
You're right I like the ups and downs, but the Levante was just so amazing (and I love the Vdlp as well), that the Lana is tempting. So yes, I agree with you that the two are likely to be similar. And if you stick with the Levante all the way to Zamora, you will have some absolutely beautiful mountain days, and lots and lots of nice towns -- oh it's a great camino.

And don't get the wrong impression about me and my walking pace. I like a nice 25 km day as much as the next guy. :)

I wish that I just believe I couldn't do more than about 30 km a day. Unfortunately I have discovered the hard way that 30ish is about all my ankle can handle. I injured it in 2001 and I am babying it now to avoid an ankle fusion. So 30km and minimizing pavement are pretty crucial to me. But I will definitely follow walk this summer! Have fun deciding. Liz

And don't get the wrong impression about me and my walking pace. I like a nice 25 km day as much as the next guy. :)

Ha-ha-ha, it's not about wrong impression, it's all about admiration!!!
I know it's still early, but do you thinking of La Lana more so far?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello everybody!
Just read your blog on VdlP, Peregrina2000 and it made me dream. Thank you.
I've been back barely a week and I'm already thinking of the next one (shameful look).
Thought of starting from Alicante, Camino de la Lana? But the VdlP is very tempting, too!
So will be around here looking for info :)

Hi domigee, one of the most fun things about being a repeat offender is that you get to read about and dream about all of the many other Caminos that are out there. So does your little list below your picture mean that you just got home from walking to Jerusalem?! From where?

I have walked a bunch of non-traditional caminos and am totally hooked. It is a lot of fun talking with others about it, I feel kind of like I'm an enabler. Have you thought about the Levante from Valencia? Amazing. Buen camino, Laurie

OMG Laurie! Sorry, but I had to chuckle when I read Camino de la Lana. I thought that you were done with solitary Caminos. In Albacete I believe, we ran into 4 Spanish guys from Barcelona that were undertaking the Lana on bike but otherwise...sounds pretty quiet. I know that I am done with walking 2+ weeks alone although I can recommend the Mozárabe to everyone
Sorry, not being of any help to you on this one but will follow your musings.

Hi, LT,
Well, you're right, when I finished the Olvidado last summer in Ponferrada, I was tired of being alone and couldn't bear the thought of the Invierno. But maybe it's the passage of time, or maybe I'm just realizing that I am drawn to these caminos even though they are lonely. but of course it wouldn't be lonely if you wanted to walk as well..... :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can only help with the first few stages of the Lana, having recently done Alicante to Alpera in five days. The heat at the end of October (34+) almost sent me back home, and there were stages with water problems, but not serious ones. The first 32km take you from the sea over a fine hill where a saint lived in a cave, and fortunately even saints need water, so there was a fuente at the top, but goodness it was needed. At Novelda the "albergue" is a posh (free) town flat with kitchen, washing machine etc belonging to lawyer Paco Sera, who is a big expert on the Sureste. At Sax, if when booking into the Hotel Fuente El Cura, you mention that you are a pilgrim, you get a room for €22 (including breakfast) in what feels like and probably is a 3* hotel. Be careful to have plenty of water for the stage from Elda to Caudete. At Elda I got lost looking for the exit, and the tourist office at first denied that they were on a camino (¿aqui? - no). Head across the river towards the hospital and the arrows resume. Despite what mundicamino etc say, Villena has hotels and at least one casa rural. I rather wish I'd stayed there as it looked an interesting place, with a plaza de toros with a new sun hat and other fine buildings. Water from there to Almansa is also scarce. Almansa to Alpera you know.

The pics, if they load, which they usually don't, are before and after views towards and backwards from San Pascual's hill from Alicante into the sunset and then backwards, most of the first day's walk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Can only help with the first few stages of the Lana, having recently done Alicante to Alpera in five days. The heat at the end of October (34+) almost sent me back home, and there were stages with water problems, but not serious ones. The first 32km take you from the sea over a fine hill where a saint lived in a cave, and fortunately even saints need water, so there was a fuente at the top, but goodness it was needed. At Novelda the "albergue" is a posh (free) town flat with kitchen, washing machine etc belonging to lawyer Paco Sera, who is a big expert on the Sureste. At Sax, if when booking into the Hotel Fuente El Cura, you mention that you are a pilgrim, you get a room for €22 (including breakfast) in what feels like and probably is a 3* hotel. Be careful to have plenty of water for the stage from Elda to Caudete. At Elda I got lost looking for the exit, and the tourist office at first denied that they were on a camino (¿aqui? - no). Head across the river towards the hospital and the arrows resume. Despite what mundicamino etc say, Villena has hotels and at least one casa rural. I rather wish I'd stayed there as it looked an interesting place, with a plaza de toros with a new sun hat and other fine buildings. Water from there to Almansa is also scarce. Almansa to Alpera you know.

The pics, if they load, which they usually don't, are before and after views towards and backwards from San Pascual's hill from Alicante into the sunset and then backwards, most of the first day's walk.

Just one picture loaded, but it is very nice. I've never been to Alicante, so that is another point in favor of the Lana. Oh, this is going to be a tough decision. Since I did north and mountains last year with the Olvidado, and open spaces and castles in 2013 with the Levante, maybe I should alternate and go back to the Lana. Or maybe I should go to the mountains and the St. Jaume on the theory that these legs are not getting any younger and I will be able to do flat much longer than I will be able to do mountains. Decisions decisions.

Hi domigee, one of the most fun things about being a repeat offender is that you get to read about and dream about all of the many other Caminos that are out there. So does your little list below your picture mean that you just got home from walking to Jerusalem?! From where?

I have walked a bunch of non-traditional caminos and am totally hooked. It is a lot of fun talking with others about it, I feel kind of like I'm an enabler. Have you thought about the Levante from Valencia? Amazing. Buen camino, Laurie

Hello again! I love this expression 'repeat offender', so apt! Yes my last venture was walking from home (Kent, UK) to Jerusalem. Left July 7th so it took nearly 5 months but cheated a bit as we took trains or buses after walking to Edirne to reach the south coast of Turkey. The distances were just too long between accommodation to be feasible in daylight.
Now my mind is turned to Spain once again. We have a small place in Alicante and I saw the camino signs last time I was there, so it would be a bit like walking from home...
But on the other hand I have never been to Sevilla nor Caceres.... Decisions decisions lol
I am now going to read your blog on the Levante.
Buen camino to you too,
Dominique

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Alansykes and thank you for the beautiful picture and all the details. Very helpful!

Not having done the Lana route, or the Catalan through Saragossa-- I had taken the variant which heads up through Huesca, and over the Sierra de Loarre to Jaca, I would enthusiastically support the one which I know! The Catalan route is well-marked, and there are albergues or very inexpensive accommodation along the way. I love the small Catalan university and cathedral towns (Cervera, Tarrega) and the people were very warm. Mind you, if I had done the Lana, I might be saying the same thing.

Not having done the Lana route, or the Catalan through Saragossa-- I had taken the variant which heads up through Huesca, and over the Sierra de Loarre to Jaca, I would enthusiastically support the one which I know! The Catalan route is well-marked, and there are albergues or very inexpensive accommodation along the way. I love the small Catalan university and cathedral towns (Cervera, Tarrega) and the people were very warm. Mind you, if I had done the Lana, I might be saying the same thing.

Thanks, oursonpolaire,
Where did you start your walk -- in Montserrat or further up north of Barcelona on the coast? I know that someday I will take the variant up through Huesca and over to San Juan de la Pena, but I just don't have enough time in 2015. So many caminos....
Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Montserrat--- at the time (2007 and 2009), the northern variants were (as far as I can figure out) only in development at that time. They do intrigue me, and perhaps....

Terrain: more elevation gain on Cami Catala ??

I don't think you'll reach an altitude over 1000 meters on the Camí Catalá to Zaragoza while you'll make it on la Lana.

Getting from end of walk to Ponferrada: The second half of my Camino will be from Ponferrada, to Peñalba again (fingers crossed) and then the Invierno, so I will need to get from either Zaragoza or Burgos to Ponferrada in the shortest time possible.

Both Burgos and Zaragoza have direct trains to Ponferrada. Burgos is closer and the trains from Zaragoza to Ponferrada stop in Burgos along the route so it takes less time from Burgos to Ponferrada. However, there's a nicely timed overnight train from Zaragoza to Ponferrada...

I don't think you'll reach an altitude over 1000 meters on the Camí Catalá to Zaragoza while you'll make it on la Lana.
Thanks, Castilian, and by the way, welcome to the forum! You'll see we are quite the active bunch and rely on each other so much for all things Camino.

I love ups and downs, so I was wondering more about which of the routes gave more opportunity for non-flat days. I did love the Levante, though, and it was mostly flat or rolling, with a few days in the mountains before Avila, so it's just one of the things I'm trying to weigh. I appreciate the help, I don't think I've ever been so indecisive about a camino before!

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. and the overnight train from Zaragoza sounds like a great way to save a travel day, so that's something to think about too. I will check into it. Thanks again for your help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love ups and downs, so I was wondering more about which of the routes gave more opportunity for non-flat days. I did love the Levante, though, and it was mostly flat or rolling, with a few days in the mountains before Avila, so it's just one of the things I'm trying to weigh.

If you loved the Levante, I'm pretty sure you'll love la Lana too (probably even more). Català/St. Jaume has a first part with ups and downs that you would love (except for the parts on asphalt; specially those next to the N-II road) but from, more or less, Tárrega onwards is mostly plain and the area between Lleida and Zaragoza is well-know to be frequently windy what will surely make it less attractive for you than just a plain. La Lana doesn't have two so clearly differenciated parts but it isn't free of plain stages. Personally, I would go for la Lana but you are not me... To make the Català/St. Jaume but just till Lleida (where you could take the overnight train to Ponferrada) could be an option to consider for you...

If you loved the Levante, I'm pretty sure you'll love la Lana too (probably even more). Català/St. Jaume has a first part with ups and downs that you would love (except for the parts on asphalt; specially those next to the N-II road) but from, more or less, Tárrega onwards is mostly plain and the area between Lleida and Zaragoza is well-know to be frequently windy what will surely make it less attractive for you than just a plain. La Lana doesn't have two so clearly differenciated parts but it isn't free of plain stages. Personally, I would go for la Lana but you are not me... To make the Català/St. Jaume but just till Lleida (where you could take the overnight train to Ponferrada) could be an option to consider for you...

Hi, Castilian,
Once again, many thanks to you. I don't know why I am being so indecisive, but every time I read a post with a different bit of information, I flip from Lana to St. Jaume and then back again. I had just been checking the night train from Zaragoza to Ponferrada and considering the fact that there is a nice guide on line to the St. Jaume/Catala, but your points resonate with me. I am pretty obsessed with trying to avoid the asphalt, so that's a strike against the Catala.

Do you happen to know anything about guides? The Generalitat has a nice online guide to the St.Jaume, but for the Ebro it looks like I'll have to piece things together from a variety of different online sites. I've got plenty of time, so that's not a big problem, though. Buen camino, Laurie

Do you happen to know anything about guides? The Generalitat has a nice online guide to the St.Jaume, but for the Ebro it looks like I'll have to piece things together from a variety of different online sites.

I don't have personal experience with it so I can't comment about its quality (or lack of it). A 2006 guide can be purchased here (updates available on their web):

http://www.editorialbuencamino.com/productos/guia-del-camino-jacobeo-del-ebro-y-camino-catalan

The Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Zaragoza offers several guides online including one for the Ebro:

http://www.peregrinoszaragoza.org/LaGuia.htm

The Generalitat de Catalunya has one for the Catalan part of the route:

http://llibreria.gencat.cat/product_info.php?products_id=4875

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You could also walk the northern route to Huesca, then bus to Saragossa, and take your train from there. I found that much of the S Jaume is on country road, often gravelled, and I do not recall pavement as being as big a feature as (say) the del Norte. Mind you, it might be like a mother's recollection of childbirth-- nature has a way of somehow suppressing the memory of the unpleasant bits.

Thanks, guys.

I have contacted editorial Buen Camino, and they only have a guide to the Sureste from Alicante, not the Lana. And they told me that they are unaware of any guidebook. So, it I go with this one, looks like I'll have to piece something together from the extensive notes and walking directions on a couple of websites, mainly the associations in Albacete and Cuenca.

Oursonpolaire, the reason I would go to Zaragoza rather than Huesca is because I definitely want to walk from Montserrat to Puente la Reina via San Juan de la Pena and the Camino Aragones (I just don't have time this year), so heading more southwesterly to Zaragoza seemed like a good alternative. Though I suppose I cou always start my San Juan camino from Huesca so as not to be covering old ground. Did you walk from Montserrat to Huesca? Maybe that would be a nicer walk than Montserrat to Zaragoza?

Buen camino and gracias, Laurie

So I spent a few days digging into the information on the Lana. Lots of long stages, but more difficult than that, lots of long stages without known accommodation that I could find, and lots of notes to "contact so and so in Cuenca to see about arranging a place to sleep." I don't mind doing that once or twice on a Camino, but this was stage after stage.

Then I heard from someone in Cuenca that a guide to the Lana is written but not yet published. That, and the fact that my gps guru friends Gunnar and Susanna tell me that the gps tracks seem to be much better for the St. Jaume/Catala, is pushing me back towards the St. Jaume.

If I hold off for a year or so for the Lana, there will be a guide, which will hopefully bring more pilgrims.

So I am pretty firmly decided to walk about 10 days from Port de la Selva to Montserrat, and then ten or so more days, but not sure yet whether I'll head to Huesca or Zaragoza, so any information would be helpful as always. Thanks for your help, buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Umphstrgfv......, don't know what happened with my post to be enclosed into Laurie's post...
Well, here it is:
"So, Laurie, do we see each other on that trail next year??? ;)"

Last edited:
I have contacted editorial Buen Camino, and they only have a guide to the Sureste from Alicante, not the Lana. And they told me that they are unaware of any guidebook

Just for the record and just in case it could be someway useful for someone, there's an old guide to La Lana (from Monteagudo de las Salinas to Burgos) that you can find/get here (once again I don't have any idea about its quality or lack of it):

www.aache.com/alfonsopolis/ruta_lana.htm

€60,-
Just for the record and just in case it could be someway useful for someone, there's an old guide to La Lana (from Monteagudo de las Salinas to Burgos) that you can find/get here (once again I don't have any idea about its quality or lack of it):

www.aache.com/alfonsopolis/ruta_lana.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much, Castilian, but the guide is out of print, as far as I can tell. http://www.libreriadesnivel.com/libros/la-ruta-de-la-lana/9788493070601/

It was written in 1999. I will let people know when I hear about the printing of the new guide, though, or even any more details.

Lana 2016? I think that sounds like a great idea. Buen camino, Laurie
I guess it would have to be 2016, because if I'll have a chance (money, argh...) I'd go Levante 2015 and I already have walking companion for approx.3 weeks from Valencia...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guessed it was out of print and it could be difficult to find but I think you might find it on the web of the editorial (i.e.: on the link I badly posted on my previous post) so I'll link it once again:

http://www.aache.com/alfonsopolis/ruta_lana.htm

If you can't get it through that web, you could try to see if there's a copy in an US library that you could get through ILL (Inter-Library Loan). This web could be useful for that:

https://www.worldcat.org

As you said, the guide is from 1999. Well, in fact, the 1999's version is the last one because the original one is from 1993... just in case there's any guide collector interested on it. I'm aware there have been tons of changes since then but, AFAIK, so far, it's the only pilgrims' guide published in paper for La Lana.

gps tracks seem to be much better for the St. Jaume/Catala

In that case, the detailed 2006 info about the route available in English on the next link could be someway useful:

http://www.decuencaasantiago.org/archivos/rutometro_en_ingles.pdf

...although there have been some changes since then (i.e.: you'll have to verify what info remains valid and what info doesn't remain valid) like the new routes from Villena to Almansa through Caudete that you can find described (in Spanish) on this link:

http://www.dealbaceteasantiago.es/CL-gVill-Alm.html

A more updated rutométro for La Lana than the one in English I linked above can be found on this web but in Spanish:

http://www.dealbaceteasantiago.es/IndiceCaminos-11.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys.

I have contacted editorial Buen Camino, and they only have a guide to the Sureste from Alicante, not the Lana. And they told me that they are unaware of any guidebook. So, it I go with this one, looks like I'll have to piece something together from the extensive notes and walking directions on a couple of websites, mainly the associations in Albacete and Cuenca.

Oursonpolaire, the reason I would go to Zaragoza rather than Huesca is because I definitely want to walk from Montserrat to Puente la Reina via San Juan de la Pena and the Camino Aragones (I just don't have time this year), so heading more southwesterly to Zaragoza seemed like a good alternative. Though I suppose I cou always start my San Juan camino from Huesca so as not to be covering old ground. Did you walk from Montserrat to Huesca? Maybe that would be a nicer walk than Montserrat to Zaragoza?

Buen camino and gracias, Laurie

Yes. I walked Montserrat- Igualada - Cervera - Tarrega - Balaguer - Tamarita - Binefar - Barbastro - Huesca, then through Loarre and over the Sierra to Sta Maria de l'Estacion. At that point it was not clear if there be anywhere to stay in Ena, halfway up to San Juan de la Pena, so I took the local train to Jaca, then walked to Santa Cruz de los Seros, then to San Juan de la Pena, and from there along the Aragonese to Punete la Reina. I have not done the Lerida-Zaragoza stretch, so cannot speak to it--- I am told it is flatter and there is more traffic but really do not know.

Loarre and the crossing of the sierra de Loarre is so extraordinary that I keep on rambling on about it. I have read since that there is an albergue in Ena, but I am still not clear if there be anywhere to eat there, otherwise I would have hoofed it up to Ena, then to San Juan de la Pena. There one stays either at a very expensive hotel in the new monastery, or heads down to Sta Cruz de los Seros to stay at the Hospederia, or head down (by this time, a very long long day) to Sta Cecelia. The Aragonese is a wonderful route, albeit quite unpopulated, but the stages are pretty reasonable. If you walk the stretch north of the Yesa lake (this has the advantage of visiting the hot springs at km 336), then that is a very long and unsupported 33km or so to Yesa from Artieda, but it enables one to check out S Francis Xavier's turf in Javier the next day.

I have read since that there is an albergue in Ena, but I am still not clear if there be anywhere to eat there

AFAIK, no place to eat in Ena and there isn't either a food store. In La Peña Estación there's a bar where it could be possible to eat something (but verify it) and there's also a bakery where you could purchase something for next day's breakfast. Verify beforehand the closing dates of both the bar and the bakery though. Just in case it could be useful, the bakery has a blog:

http://www.nuestrapanaderia.blogspot.com

and can be found on Facebook too. It seems there's also a casa rural in La Peña Estación. Details can be found here:

http://www.redaragon.com/turismo/alojamientos/default.asp?accion=pagina&Alojamiento_ID=2676

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is true there is nowhere to eat in Ena but the albergue has a kitchen, and the walk up to San Juan de la Pena is fantastic. I walked Ena to Santa Cilla de Jaca but I wouldn't do that again out of season, there was nowhere to eat in Santa Cilla, I would have been better walking to Jaca, but then I wouldn't have seen Santa Cruz de los Seros, nothing is ever ideal is it? Just more reasons for doing different caminos:D
I guess it would have to be 2016, because if I'll have a chance (money, argh...) I'd go Levante 2015 and I already have walking companion for approx.3 weeks from Valencia...
When do you go KinkyOne? I'm almost booked for March.
Sue

... the walk up to San Juan de la Pena is fantastic.

Sue

Don't do this to me Sue!!! Do you think a reasonable time frame for Port de la Selva to Puente la Reina is 29 days? So, in rethinking this for the 300th time (I have NEVER been this indecisive about a Camino), it seems that I could do that for 30 days, three or four days with Rebekah around Peñalba de Santiago, and then something short like the Inglés or from Ourense or something like that. For some reason that I don´t quite understand it's important to me to walk into Santiago.

I think my maximum number of walking days for 2015 is right at 39 days, and that will also have to include a couple of days´transportation for jumping from one to another.

Buen camino, Laurie
p.s. You´ve committed to the Levante for 2015? Do you have the guide or are you going to go without?

Now I am up to date Laurie (until you change your mind again ;)!).
The Cami option including the Aragonés is definately an exciting posibility. You may just have twisted my arm. I might have to leave the last stretch of the Levante for another year... to be continued.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is true there is nowhere to eat in Ena but the albergue has a kitchen, and the walk up to San Juan de la Pena is fantastic. I walked Ena to Santa Cilla de Jaca but I wouldn't do that again out of season, there was nowhere to eat in Santa Cilla, I would have been better walking to Jaca, but then I wouldn't have seen Santa Cruz de los Seros, nothing is ever ideal is it? Just more reasons for doing different caminos:D

When do you go KinkyOne? I'm almost booked for March.
Sue
Hi, Sue!

Hopefully de Levante in 2015 (start mid June...) and two or three possibilities for 2016 (including La Lana) but that's still so very far away and depends on so many things...

K1

So if I look back at this thread, it surely gives the impression that I'm a ditzy fuzzy thinking dope. I hate to admit that I am back on the Lana/Catalan fence again, but I will blame LTFit for that change in my status. Sue didn't help any either. I will do them both, someday, it's just hard to figure out which one works best in 2015. How do the rest of you make your Camino decisions? I'm looking for some sort of magic pill. buen camino, Laurie

AFAIK, no place to eat in Ena and there isn't either a food store. In La Peña Estación there's a bar where it could be possible to eat something (but verify it) and there's also a bakery where you could purchase something for next day's breakfast. Verify beforehand the closing dates of both the bar and the bakery though. Just in case it could be useful, the bakery has a blog:

http://www.nuestrapanaderia.blogspot.com

and can be found on Facebook too. It seems there's also a casa rural in La Peña Estación. Details can be found here:

http://www.redaragon.com/turismo/alojamientos/default.asp?accion=pagina&Alojamiento_ID=2676

The bar at La Peña Estación provided the menu de dia in the afternoon when I visited it in 2007 and 2009-- I arrived quite late in 2009 (about 5 pm), but the kitchen rustled up a meal for me. The padrona was a bit gruff, but kindly, and I think could likely be persuaded to prepare something to carry to Ena for later that day or the next day and, with a loaf of the interesting-looking bread from the panaderia, one might be able to make it through to Sta Cruz de los Seros.

Do you think a reasonable time frame for Port de la Selva to Puente la Reina is 29 days?
Hi Laurie
I'm sure you could do Port de la Selva to Puente de la Reina in 29 days, or less. I did it in 30, I know I bussed Vic to Manresa so you would need another day there but, with hind sight I would have done Tamarite to Huesca differently. I would have stopped in Selgua and not in Monzon and then rejigged the following days. I would do Huesca to Sarsamacuello 35k, and not split it into a 15 and a 20, I did that because of the weather. I walked down to Santa Cilla and then walked back to Jaca the next day, this was partially because I needed an ATM and I hadn't realised I wouldn't find one in Santa Cilla, but also because I wanted to visit the Cathedral in Jaca, also I had intended walking from Sanguesa to Tiebas but gave up at Izco but I really didn't like the albergue there and should have done as I planned. So I reckon 27 is easily possible, even for me and I think you are a much stronger walker than I am :) Go on, go for it Laurie, it is a beautiful walk, the walk of the 3 monasteries.:D
Buen camino! Sue

Hi Laurie
I'm sure you could do Port de la Selva to Puente de la Reina in 29 days, or less. I did it in 30, I know I bussed Vic to Manresa so you would need another day there but, with hind sight I would have done Tamarite to Huesca differently. I would have stopped in Selgua and not in Monzon and then rejigged the following days. I would do Huesca to Sarsamacuello 35k, and not split it into a 15 and a 20, I did that because of the weather. I walked down to Santa Cilla and then walked back to Jaca the next day, this was partially because I needed an ATM and I hadn't realised I wouldn't find one in Santa Cilla, but also because I wanted to visit the Cathedral in Jaca, also I had intended walking from Sanguesa to Tiebas but gave up at Izco but I really didn't like the albergue there and should have done as I planned. So I reckon 27 is easily possible, even for me and I think you are a much stronger walker than I am :) Go on, go for it Laurie, it is a beautiful walk, the walk of the 3 monasteries.:D
Buen camino! Sue

So, Sue (and anyone else who has walked the first part from Port de la Selva), for some reason I'm getting the feeling that this initial part doesn't have much in the way of that elusive "Camino feeling." Do you think I'm right about that? Do you have a sense on how expensive that stretch was for you? No albergues + being in Catalunya = muy caro, I will bet.

If I try to map out some stages from Port de la Selva, using your blog and the Catalunya tourism board online guide, would you take a look? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

@sulu I am also looking forward to your reply as I am seriously thinking about joining Laurie. At this point the financial picture will help me decide. I am not worried about the Aragonés stretch as there are plenty of albergues but the first section?
Cheers

So, Sue (and anyone else who has walked the first part from Port de la Selva), for some reason I'm getting the feeling that this initial part doesn't have much in the way of that elusive "Camino feeling." Do you think I'm right about that? Do you have a sense on how expensive that stretch was for you? No albergues + being in Catalunya = muy caro, I will bet.

If I try to map out some stages from Port de la Selva, using your blog and the Catalunya tourism board online guide, would you take a look? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie
I agree that Catalunya is more expensive than other parts of Spain, for me that was made worse by the fact that even the albergues did not have kitchens and I usually cook for myself. A 'menu del dia' was usually about €10, a cup of coffee about €1.30 I think, accommodation €15 to €20 usually. I have a list somewhere I will try and find it and post it but yes Laurie, I will certainly look at your planned stages.

You´ve committed to the Levante for 2015? Do you have the guide or are you going to go without?
I overlooked this question. I don't have the guide yet, I have cobbled up a guide from Mundicamino and the Veirigrino web sites. I am waiting till the Christmas postal rush is over to order the new guide. I'll be in the Pilgrim's Office again in January but when I come home I will get really organised.
I'm sorry I'm causing confusion, I guess I decide which camino by some kind of osmosis of info or gut feeling:)
Good luck making the right decision.
Sue

I agree that Catalunya is more expensive than other parts of Spain, for me that was made worse by the fact that even the albergues did not have kitchens and I usually cook for myself. A 'menu del dia' was usually about €10, a cup of coffee about €1.30 I think, accommodation €15 to €20 usually. I have a list somewhere I will try and find it and post it but yes Laurie, I will certainly look at your planned stages.

I overlooked this question. I don't have the guide yet, I have cobbled up a guide from Mundicamino and the Veirigrino web sites. I am waiting till the Christmas postal rush is over to order the new guide. I'll be in the Pilgrim's Office again in January but when I come home I will get really organised.
I'm sorry I'm causing confusion, I guess I decide which camino by some kind of osmosis of info or gut feeling:)
Good luck making the right decision.
Sue

Thanks so much, Sulu, I'm going over your blog and I think you've got 10 days
Port de la Selva-Vilabertan -- hotel
Bascara -- Pension
Girona -- Youth hostel
Amer -- pension
St. Esteve --albergue (peregrinos or juvenil?)
Cantonigos or L'Esquirol -- hotel
Vic -- albergue (university)
L'Estany or Calders -- bussed through, but supposedly there's a pilgrim accommodataion in L'Estany monastery
Manresa -- Youth hostel
Montserrat -- albergue

That might mean that as many of 6 of the 11 nights (including a night in Port de la Selva) would be in some kind of albergue. Susanna and I passed a number of albergues juveniles on the Olvidado, but they were either closed or not taking pilgrims because of youth groups. I assume that in March you had no youth groups, but do you have a sense for how hard it might be for me/us to stay in albergues during summer (well, low summer, because the start is early June).

Thanks much, I'm hoping for that gut feeling to kick in but right now I think I'm fine with either Lana/Invierno or Catalan, I've made my peace with the fact that if I walk the Catalan I probably won't get to Santiago this year.

Working towards an answer.... buen camino, Laurie

Thanks so much, Sulu, I'm going over your blog and I think you've got 10 days
Port de la Selva-Vilabertan -- hotel
Bascara -- Pension
Girona -- Youth hostel
Amer -- pension
St. Esteve --albergue (peregrinos or juvenil?)
Cantonigos or L'Esquirol -- hotel
Vic -- albergue (university)
L'Estany or Calders -- bussed through, but supposedly there's a pilgrim accommodataion in L'Estany monastery
Manresa -- Youth hostel, used by students and teachers €18.60
Montserrat -free
Igualada - pilgrim albergue €15
Col de Panadella - hotel, pilgrim prices €21
Cervera - convent €10
Tarrega - albergue €10
Linyola - refugio, free but rough.
Algerri - pilgrim albergue €5
Tamarite - pilgrim albergue -don
Monzon - hotel
Berbegal - albergue, don
Pueo de Fananas - don
Huesca €10
Bolea - don
Sarsamacuello - don
Ena - don
From Algerri they are all proper pilgrim places.
The part that didn't seem to be really a camino was from Girona to St Esteve, this was a 'green path' on an old railway track, the rest was camino but the infrastructure is better after Montserrat.
So, Laurie and LTFit, I hope this is some help.
Buen camino
Sue

Montserrat -- albergue

That might mean that as many of 6 of the 11 nights (including a night in Port de la Selva) would be in some kind of albergue. Susanna and I passed a number of albergues juveniles on the Olvidado, but they were either closed or not taking pilgrims because of youth groups. I assume that in March you had no youth groups, but do you have a sense for how hard it might be for me/us to stay in albergues during summer (well, low summer, because the start is early June).

Thanks much, I'm hoping for that gut feeling to kick in but right now I think I'm fine with either Lana/Invierno or Catalan, I've made my peace with the fact that if I walk the Catalan I probably won't get to Santiago this year.

Working towards an answer.... buen camino, Laurie
I've been trying to upload my list but it won't work so here's a rough list:
I stayed in Llanca, in a hostel
Perelada - hotel, when I was there the cheaper places were full, it was a weekend, so I ended up walking to a commercial centre outside Figueres
Bascara - pension €25
Girona - albergue €13.6 These albergues are youth hostels with a certain number of beds reserved for pilgrims.
Amer - Pension €25
St Esteve d'en Bas - Albergue touristic €11, possible to book.
L'Esquirrol hotel €25
Vic - albergue, this one is a university residence with reserved pilgrim space. €14.50 B&B. They gave me a packed breakfast that was so big it did for lunch as well!
Manresa - albergue €18.60 used by students and teachers in term time.
Montserrat - albergue, free
Igualada - pilgrim albergue €15
Col de Panadella - hotel, pilgrim prices €21
Cervera - convent €10
Tarrega - albergue €10, pilgrim places
Linyola - refugio, free but really rough
Algerri - pilgrim Albergue €5
Tamarite - pilgrim albergue don
Monzon - hotels
Berbegel- pilgrim albergue don
Pueyo de Fananas don

Last edited:
I've just looked at what I've written and edited, the price in L'Esquirrol was €25, not €5 :oops: Sorry

That's good to know, because that's not what we found on the Olvidado. I guess a call ahead wouldn't hurt in summer.
They seemed to have one room reserved for pilgrims, the number of beds varied. I think all were reservable, Vic and Manresa included breakfast in the price, in Vic they give a packed breakfast if you want to leave early, it was so big it did for lunch as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Laurie
I would have stopped in Selgua and not in Monzon and then rejigged the following days. I would do Huesca to Sarsamacuello 35k, and not split it into a 15 and a 20, I did that because of the weather.

So, Sulu, I've started looking at these stages, and would like to walk beyond Monzon. But is there lodging in Selgua? I don't see anything on the Eroski site, but I know they only list albergues. Thanks, Laurie

Hi Laurie, I haven't been in the Camino-mode for a couple of years now but I'm very much considering a Salvador-Primitivo-?bus or backwards walk-Invierno this summer. If you do decide to do the Invierno route, would you consider a 4th companion? Love to walk this particular section with others... Allison

Oh, I used to have the username "alipilgrim", don't know how or why it changed. I walked the Madrid within a few days of you a couple of years ago...

€60,-
So, Sulu, I've started looking at these stages, and would like to walk beyond Monzon. But is there lodging in Selgua? I don't see anything on the Eroski site, but I know they only list albergues. Thanks, Laurie
There is. I didn't know about it either. It is a Casa Rural I think but it is also the local bar and restaurant and well used by locals. I only had a coffee there but it seemed really nice and the bar prices were normal. I didn't ask about accommodation prices but I would have paid an extra few euros to stay there rather than Monzon.

Oh, I used to have the username "alipilgrim", don't know how or why it changed. I walked the Madrid within a few days of you a couple of years ago...

Wow, alipilgrim so good to see you back on the forum. I remember our many exchanges, and I think maybe we overlapped on the Vdlp, too. I think you were one of the patient ones who helped me figure out how to blog. I'll send you a PM about my Camino 2015.

And p.s., if you send a message to Ivar, he can help you straighten out your online name, because I see that alipilgrim is still an active account.

Laurie, there's supposed to be a Hostal Casa Fornies, c/Medio 2, in Selgua I don't think this is the one I saw but the telephone is +34 974 417168 and email; portalarmentera@terra.es
Good luck with whatever you plan,
Sue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, I wanted to thank everyone who helped me come to my decision, and I think it's a good Camino. I will walk about 27 days, Port de la Selva to Montserrat to San Juan de la Pena to Puente la Reina. Then hop transport to Ponferrada. There I hope to walk Ponferrada - El Acebo - Penalba de Santiago - As Medulas, and from there 10 days on the Invierno to Santiago.

My family has given me a few extra days, so I'm good to go! Hoping that maybe LTfit, alipilgrim, Rebekah, and who knows who else, may be joining me at different points on this walk.

I'll be playing around with stages throughout the winter, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the veterans.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. That means that Lana 2016 is on my list, K1!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back