• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Levante April 2013 / Who will join?

Knip Dyolf

Hey Peregrinos/Peregrinas,

I will walk the Levante in spring 2013 (start approx 5-15.April in Valencia).

Actually, I walk my caminos alone, but I enjoy company in the evenings :)
In April/May 2011, I walked my first one, the "Via de la Plata", in October 2011 the "Frances", in May 2012 the "de la costa/del norte",
and recently in October 2012 the "Via de la Plata" again.

Yeah, and the next one will be the "Levante", from Valencia via the La Mancha to Zamora and evtl. to Astorga or even to Santiago,
but the "Levante" is very lonely, so it would be nice to have any fellow pilgrims around.

So if you are interested, please give me a note, ... :)

Jürgen / Germany/Baltic Sea

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Knip,
I can't leave the US till May 1, so I'll be a bit behind you. I'm hoping there will be others, but so far my posts haven't exactly stirred up a storm of walkers.

Kevin O'Brien walked in April a couple of years ago and told me it was really cold in parts. Want to wait till May?!

Buen camino, Laurie

My husband and I plan to start in Alicante (or may be in Valencia) and walk Lana/Levante for two weeks from around 20. of April.
Bjørg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just a small comment to Laurie and Bjorg. It was horribly cold on the Levante between April 10th and April 22nd (approx) this year. There was a very cold wind blowing. If you could find shelter from the wind the temperature was up around 25 degrees, but the chill factor, especially in the mornings was severe. Out of Higueruela on the 17th of April the temp sign at the Farmacia noted minus 4 degrees. I had a Norwegian wind jacket and trousers fleece jacket, and thermal underwear with woollen gloves and cap and didn't freeze, but two Italians I met had to break off to wait for better weather. It came around the 25th of April. That said the locals said they had never experienced anything like it so late in the year so it will probably be warmer in 2013.
Bjorg. I met a German guy near Zamora who surprised me by stating that, for once, the German guide was not very good. We used "Outdoor" on the Norte and were very impressed, but, according to my German friend the one for the Levante is not nearly as good as the Amigos version.
Buen Camino para todos,
Kev

Thank you, Kevin. Then I will bring the Amigos guide as well.
The weather: I smiled a bit, reading about the cold wind on Levante in April. I walked Via de la Plata from Cadiz to Finisterre this spring - two months. I have been walking in Spain in April every year for 10 years. I have had all sorts of weather from 30C+ to 3C-, but never strong wind, cold wind, frozen earth, heavy rain, snow(!) - and so on - for a whole months like this spring. (Well, there were some good days in between.) I was very happy for my Norwegian wool. On the 30th of April I past into Galicia, seeing nothing because of the snow falling. Then passing over from A Gudiña to Laza, still seeing nothing because of fog, and then some days when we felt that we nearly drowned. So may be it was a bad spring in most of Spain this year. It seemed that for the walkers coming from the French route, the bad weather had even started earlier than for us who were coming from the south.

So I am optimistic! I think there will not be two Aprils like that after each other. But may be it will... :( After all, I always bring my wool in April. :)
Bjørg

Hey Peregrina2000 / Hey guys,
I am sure, weather will be ok in April :)
It's not a problem, if tempereature in the morning is around 2C, because it heats up lateron.
I trust the spanish seasons :p
@ Peregrina 2000: No chance for you to start a bit earlier?
Cause I have to be back mid of May in Germany,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can assure you: Last April on the Via de la Plata it did NOT always heat up later on! I For a month I could not sit down outside one single day to eat something in the middle of the day; most because of the strong wind, but the temperature were not good either, and often it was raining. I have never been so wet so many days in a month in my whole life. After all I had everything I needed both for wind, cold temperature and rain, but I felt sorry for many walkers. Some gave up and went home.

So, sorry, I am not THAT optimistic. I know there can be problems, but I bring what I need for wind, cold and rain. I have had so many wonderful Aprils during the last ten years in Spain (and two bad and one partly bad) that I am optimistic...

Bjørg

Hi, Knip,
I wish I could start earlier, but I can't. I am planning to leave the US the very earliest I can, which is May 1. So it looks like I'll be walking in your footsteps. Hopefully, we'll both find that the Camino de Levante is enjoying a surge of popularity so we won't always be alone! Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Now it's serious,
will arrive at Seville 13th April, moving for the first etappe 14th of April.
Still no fellow pilgrims ??? :oops:
Hey Girls/Guys, if you are there, give me a note please :D
Wish you a moving 2013 :mrgreen:

Don't expect a lot of company on the Levante, in may 2010 we only met three walking and a few Spanish cycling...in turn ,the weather was really hot. If so take water as i don't recall many places to refill..
Buen Camino
Giorgio

Camino Levante sounds nice but not sure I will be able to do a Camino this year my mom is not well and time will tell. I have done Camino Frances 2 1/2 times( once from Lourdes France to santiago) Norte, La plata. although la plata was difficult would definitely do it again. I thank the monks at Monasterio de Santa Maria la Real de Oseira, for their kindness I stayed there 5 days. Fray Alphonso and his cousin and friends form Sevilla were true friends. :arrow: :lol: :roll:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Om det är någon som läser det /kan -förstår svenska. Min fru och jag gjorde Camino Frances 2010 enda till Finisterre och vi gick Via de La Plata/ Camino Sanabres 2012. Vi tänkte eller vi planerar nu att vandra Camino de Levante 2014 . Börja någångång slutet av April...38/40 dagar och tänkte gå till Finisterre, även denna gång . Från Zamora tänkte vi att vi ska fortsätta på Via de la Plata och Sanabrese..sedan till Orense...Santiago och vidare.

Är detnåt vi behöver rusta med oss extra eller annorlunda..Är det nåt annat vi bör tänka kring tex avstånden mellan stationerna, vatten, skog...albergues?

Buen Camino

Thanks for the link to your reflections on the Levante, Andy. I think that though the vegetation will be different and hopefully the temperature lower, my Levante will probably be a lot like yours. I have under a month now, and am starting to get those pre-Camino nerves.

Knip, are you walking from Sevilla or Valencia? Not too many days for you. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go well Laurie. It's quite a special route, at least for me. If I can help at all, let me know.

Buen Camino

Andy

Hei Nitgu. Du, jeg er i Spania og gaar naa, men jeg kan ta kontakt naar jeg kommer hjem. Jeg gikk El Levante ifjor og har en del informasjon som kan kanskje hjelpe deg. Tar kontakt i slutten av April. Skal proever aa bruke "Private messages" hvis det er greit. Ha det fint.
med hilsen,

Kevin O^Brien

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back