• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid 2012

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
In June this year I walked from Madrid, Puerta del Sol to sahagun in 11 days. A very nice camino. I met 3 other pilgrims , but of course in Sahagun there were plenty :)
On Youtube if you search for "roger hogstrom" you will find nice photos from this camino.

All the best

Roger Högström from Sweden

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Roger!
We did too. Started 5th june and walked two weeks including rest days. We saw eight other peregrinos, and five of them were cyclists.
It was a peaceful camino indeed.
All the best
Heikki
from Finland
PS. Nice pictures.

Hi there Heiki

I started 13 june and loved it. I was lost once, after Santervas de campos so I walked the last 14 kilometers on a big boring road in to Sahagun :-= .
Before this camino I have walked the camino Frances 2 times and parts of via de la plata 2 times, but the Camino de Madrid was really nice. Nice places, nice and friendly people and a fantastic walk up to Fuenfria.

Glad you liked the photos

All the best Roger

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Roger and Heikki,
I walked the Camino de Madrid last year and also loved it. It doesn't sound like the numbers of pilgrims are growing much, because last year I met two other walkers and about 6 cyclists.

I have two questions -- did either of you go into the bar (Filipinas may be the name, but I'm not sure) in Castromonte? If so, is the elderly couple still working there and in good shape? I had such a nice lunch with them last year and enjoyed hearing their life story. I don't know how to insert a photo here, but there is a picture of them in these pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... vqZ76-DEg#

Nice pictures, Roger!

And my second question is about getting lost at Santervas. I got lost in Melgar, but somehow made it from Santervas to Melgar. Do you remember where you lost the arrows? I'm asking only because Rebekah of this forum lives very close to this area and has on many occasions gone out painting arrows to help clear up confusion. It's too bad you were on the highway because there is a very nice walk along a canal, quiet and peaceful, all the way from Arenillas to Grajal de Campos.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi there

Your first question: Yes they are still in business. I had a glass of wine there. A fantastic old couple. I staid that night in the albergue in the old school and it was this night I met and had dinner with the 3 pilgrims I met during my 11 days on the Madrid route.

I think I got lost in Arenillas de Valderaduey because I had to walk 14 km after I lost the yellow arrows. So no Canal just trucks :)

All the best

Roger

Hi Laurie,

We visited many bars, but can’t remember the Bar Filipinas.

I think that we walked past Melgar and were still on the marked track, but after Arenillas we lost the track and walked by the canal to Grajal. After Santervas the Camino followed the road but after some kilometers when the road turned to left and the Camino went straight on. I think that it markings were ok in that pklace, because we found them. Anyway there wasn’t too many arrows on that part of the route. We had maps from Peter Robins' site to help orienteering.

I’m sorry but this was not much of help.

After Camino de Madrid we went to north and walked the Primitivo from Oviedo to SdC. Thank you for your postings of that route Laurie, they were very helpful.

All the best
Heikki

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Roger and Heikki,
Well, I got lost between Melgar and Arenillas also, and Rebekah and I went back the next day to try to clear up the marking, but I'm not sure how long-lasting our spray-painted arrows were.

Heikki, if you were on the canal after Arenillas, you were on the Camino! It goes all the way from Arenillas to Grajal.

I also remember Santervas as being a confusing place. There were at least two sets of arrows. One went off-road and the other along the highway. I stuck with the off-road and made it, but alipilgrim, who was a few weeks ahead of me, got lost. I have more detailed comments that I can send to anyone who's reading this and is considering this route. They supplement Rebekah's online guide.

On the camino de Madrid, like most caminos, you're never too far from civilization, so getting lost is not going to be a big deal anyway. That's good for people like me who just can't make much sense of those beautiful maps! Buen camino, Laurie

I saw that you Heikki walked the camino primitivo. Thats my next project. Did you like it?

I looked Google maps and I could see that I got lost in Melgar.

Roger

ps Looked at your pictures of the old couple and the other photos. If you compare your photos and my photos we have taken photos in the same spots, must be the long mesetalike kilometers and the pinewoods that last forever. :D

Roger

Hi, Roger,
I enjoyed your pictures (I think you have both the sepia ones and some color photos that popped up on the you tube bar, were those yours as well? Very nice).

I have walked the Camino Primitivo twice, and the most recent time was two months ago. I absolutely loved it, I can't imagine you won't be smitten as well. I posted my comments back in 2008 when I first walked it, camino-primitivo/topic4841.html and I posted comments from this year here: camino-primitivo/topic14728.html

I surely hope to walk the Primitivo again, it is amazing. And btw, for a little bit more adventure, you could start out in Leon and walk the Salvador from Leon to Oviedo and then pick up the Primitivo. The Salvador is another one of those amazing, but sparsely traveled caminos. I've also walked that Camino twice, and have one post with comments from both years: camino-del-salvador/topic4840.html
There are many other posts with lots of good information on the general Salvador list: camino-del-salvador/ You'll see there are a few of us who just can't get enough of it!

Good luck with your planning, Roger. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Roger Hogstrom said:
I saw that you Heikki walked the camino primitivo. Thats my next project. Did you like it?

Roger

Yes, very much. There was more pilgrims, but not too much. Terrain was a bit challenging after meseta, so it was also a good thing.

Next time we'll do the VdlP.

Buen camino,

Heikki

You had a question about my photos on youtube Laurie, yes I have 4 sets of photos from this years camino and also sets from year 2000 and 2001 when I walked camino frances with my son + some other sets from some greenwaytrails. If yo like walking :D I can recommend the greenways trail between Prague and vienna (460 km).
Thank you for the links about camino primitivo.

ps in 2006 I walked camino Frances from Pamplona to SdC and had decided not to bring a camera, big regrets afterwards but more concentration on the camino.

Roger

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there

Yes I walked the greenwaytrail from Prague to Vienna with a friend also in 2008 in 17 days, and loved it. I hope you have seen our photos on youtube. The website for this greenwaytrail is: http://www.greenways.harnosand.org

All the best

Roger

I deleted my google account by mistake and my youtubechanel was also deleted. but now I have put the slideshows back and the seachword is still "roger hogstrom" :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There were talks about getting lost on the Camino de Madrid on the last day into Sahagun. I now remember that I got really lost after Wamba. You go out of town then up,up,up on a nice road with no yellow arrows. I had to go back to Wamba after an hour and take the road . Anyone that has done the same experience ?
Though I must say that the camino de Madrid is well marked, despite of 2 small errors.

Roger

No the church was closed for me to, but I found a nice bar where I could eat breakfast after 13 km. I also remember that there were one or two arrows and after that no more.This day I walked to Castromonte and met pilgrims with the same problem. I had two small problems including this one in 320 km thats good enough for me :D

Roger

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.